NAND boot

selfbg

For some time there is NAND driver for both SPL and u-boot for Allwinner SoCs.  You can check boards/sunxi/README.nand. I'm currently testing this.

What I'm thinking is, if this option works fine, should nand-sata-install script to be reworked? Instead of using the old SDK u-boot, mainline spl+u-boot to be packed in the bootloader deb and then written somehow?

At this point as I can see only CHIP_pro has this feature enabled.

49 minutes ago, selfbg said:

What I'm thinking is, if this option works fine, should nand-sata-install script to be reworked?

NAND is fading out and probably CHIP is one of the last if not the last one using this technology. It's one of those - yes I would like to see this - but it is a low priority from our perspective. 

I notice that @zador.blood.stained add overlays for NAND and we have support at least in a modern kernel (I only saw NAND was recognized, but haven't actually tested its functionality), while old legacy is officially EOL and we will ditch it once multimedia functions/video acceleration/MALI works in mainline.

53 minutes ago, selfbg said:

What I'm thinking is, if this option works fine, should nand-sata-install script to be reworked? Instead of using the old SDK u-boot, mainline spl+u-boot to be packed in the bootloader deb and then written somehow?

First, the legacy NAND parameters are not compatible with the mainline u-boot and kernel ones as AW used a custom MTD software layer in their BSP. So malinine u-boot + legacy kernel with access to NAND is not an option AFAIK.

For the mainline u-boot and kernel there is still no support for MLC NAND. CHIP and CHIP Pro are AFAIK the only popular development boards that either use SLC NAND or can switch their MLC NAND into SLC mode.

2 minutes ago, Igor said:

I notice that @zador.blood.stained add overlays for NAND and we have support at least in a modern kernel (I only saw NAND was recognized, but haven't actually tested its functionality)

NAND was mostly tested by @martinayotte. I tested NAND on my CT briefly and while it was recognized and I was able to flash u-boot and SPL on it, when booting SPL failed to read the u-boot proper due to ECC errors, so I can assume that the only device with NAND that I own is faulty. It doesn't help that these NAND chips are unreliable by themselves as far as I remember reading about.

15 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

NAND was mostly tested by @martinayotte.

I did some work several months ago, simply because I have several Olimex-A20-Micro. The patches were reyling on BBrezillon work, but I simply throw the towel maintaining them, mostly by lack of time and having other priority.

I agree that NAND is fading out, since even Olimex redesign their board to use eMMC, so I don't think it worth the effort...