OrangePi Zero 2+ H5 - Boot Process Hangs During Boot

RoyG

I'm running "Armbian_5.34.171121_Orangepizeroplus2-h5_Ubuntu_xenial_next_4.13.14.img" on an OrangePi Zero 2+ H5.

Lots of testing was done with the OS installed on and running from the SDCard.   I've solved the board's overheating problems by installing a 30 x 30 x 7 mm  Heatsink, plus a 50mm USB Powered Centrifugal Blower Fan.  At long last the board runs happily at temperatures typically up to about 40 degrees C at light to medium CPU loads, and at around 65 degrees C when the CPU is pushed to 100% utilisation.  With this cooling solution, the board has been reliably running PiHole for about two months now.   The 50mm fan and the big heat sink are not a very elegant solution, but as there is plenty of room in the case where this board will live, the solution will do for my purposes.

However - onto the problem that I've encountered today.   I decided that I should be running the board with the OS installed on the EMMC, and used nand-sata-install to do that.  There are no errors generated by nand-sata-install.

Unfortunately, when the board tries to boot from EMMC, the boot process hangs midway through, at the following line:

5.7357391 fuse init (API version 7.26)

I can't look at any error logs etc, as I can't boot the board sufficiently to get to a working command prompt.  I did see this same error once yesterday when booting this board from the SDCard, but a simple reboot eliminated the problem.  No amount of reboot attempts solves the problem when trying to boot from EMMC.  I've also run nand-sata-install repeated times just in case ...... but that has also not had any effect on eliminating this boot error.

Can someone who understands the ARM Boot process provide any information regarding what's actually happening when fuse init appears during boot process.   And, does anyone have any ideas regarding how to  fix or work around this error?

Many thanks,

RoyG

OK - I connected the USB to UART connector today, and booted up the board.  Captured the boot text on serial OK.  BUT, no EMMC Boot error.  The Board booted to EMMC numerous times without error today.  Tried to replicate the EMMC boot error that I had previously by booting from a fresh SDcard, and then running nand-sata-install.  All worked perfectly.  No error booting to EMMC.

I have no idea what was causing the EMMC Boot Error that I reported on this thread on January 11, and I've been unable to re-create the error.   The only difference between the test environment on January 11 when the error was occurring every EMMC Boot attempt, and today's test environment, was the addition of the USB to UART connector.  Removing the USB to UART connector made no difference - the board continued to Boot to EMMC without error.

So, many thanks for the assistance.  I will keep working on the project that the OrangePi Zero 2+ H5 will live in, and if the EMMC Boot error starts happening again, I'll re-open this thread.  Otherwise, we'll just have to put this dowwn to gremlins.  I hate intermittent faults !!

Regards,

RoyG