xrdp doesn't work well on Cubox with Bionic 5.4.4

Pbaumann

Question

Hi,

I installed xrdp with armbian-config.  Now I'm able to login with rdp client, but I'm directed to an empty desktop. No bars/menue or similar, just empty no chance of doing something useful.

What's wrong?

Best wishes

Paul

5 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, Pbaumann said:

What's wrong?

Ubuntu Bionic (http://www.ubuntu.com) has plenty of bugs and you just find one. We fix some but we can't catch them all. Cubox is the only Bionic build where we forgot to add a label "Bionic is testing" 

What to do? Search around for generic Ubuntu fix for this or switch to Debian Stretch (where this function works normally)

Thanks for fast response and for clarifying this.

For my use case it will be the best to stay with xenial.

--- Update

After some research I figured out what to do:

sudo apt install xrdp

sudo apt install xorgxrdp

echo "env -u SESSION_MANAGER -u DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS xfce4-session">  ~/.xsession

After this xrdp runs as expected on bionic. If you're not forced to use xrdp, you might also consider to use x2go.

Best wishes

Paul

Have you had any other problems with Bionic, I just got the CuBox i4x4 and I want to install Bionic on it but I am not sure as there seems to be so many issues with it. 

Edited by BMP
Spelling

On 9/3/2018 at 10:23 AM, BMP said:

Have you had any other problems with Bionic, I just got the CuBox i4x4 and I want to install Bionic on it but I am not sure as there seems to be so many issues with it. 

Hard to say. I'm running only Pihole and a mysql database on my CuBox. Bionic, CuBox, mysql and PiHole are running well. Can't tell if you will have issues running another config.

Since some initial issues were carried out Bionic and CuBox works well.

On 6/27/2018 at 9:08 PM, Pbaumann said:

sudo apt install xrdp

sudo apt install xorgxrdp

echo "env -u SESSION_MANAGER -u DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS xfce4-session">  ~/.xsession

After this xrdp runs as expected on bionic. If you're not forced to use xrdp, you might also consider to use x2go.

This works well for me, thanks ! The rest of Bionic on Cubox-i is much more stable now :)