Pine64: How to keep the LTS kernel (4.14)?

linda

How can I keep the LTS-kernel (4.14) with a terminal command?

The lastest update/upgrade installs the kernel 4.17. How can I avoid this kernel-update? For my long term-project I need the LTS-kernel 4.14.

Some time ago I updated by mainline-system (Ubuntu server kernel 4.13 to 4.14-kernel with the following command

apt-get  -y -qq --no-install-recommends install linux-image-next-sunxi64 linux-headers-next-sunxi64 linux-u-boot-pine64-next linux-xenial-root-next-pine64 linux-dtb-next-sunxi64

Thanks a lot.

1 hour ago, linda said:

The lastest update/upgrade installs the kernel 4.17.

You are using nightly automated build which is attached to the trunk and pushes packages out (almost) every day. If you don't want upgrades and that is not recommended, you freeze upgrading. With armbian-config or manually. (apt-mark)

1 hour ago, linda said:

For my long term-project I need the LTS-kernel 4.14.

Why? Our 4.14.y kernel has decent support for Allwinner devices while elsewhere there is very bad. As you can see, there are tons of patches on top of mainline sources and its not something that we are proud of. But this way we could provide you modern kernel 1 year before it gets mainlined. That also brings some issues and we are ditching support for this kernel as soon as possible. LTS or not LTS. This is ARM world and this is very specifics to general support for Allwinner in mainline kernel ... Believe me, you don't want to stay on 4.14.y on a long run ... unless you will be the one to take care of it and backport all important features, changes, and fixes from 4.19, 4.18, 4.17 ...

We initially planned 4.14.y for our LTS, but it is simply stupid to invest that much of (unpaid) work for no gain. We are going to freeze at 4.18.y but since that is still months away, 4.17.y will be until then. It's already in a better shape than 4.14.y ... we just need to test it more to make it ready for a switch on stable branches.