Armbian for TV box rk3328

balbes150

last week i was working on H6 tvb, but unfortunatly i broke the hardware...

so now back to rk-3328 tvb,,,

i was try to build linux 5.4.13 on it, last time it was working fine on 4.4.208...

using the same kernel config, here errors what i got... (somehow it seems cant mount/find the rootfs)

hope someone can help me figure it out...

thanks...

tvb-rk3328-model-x88-pro-armbian-linux-5.4.13.log linux-5.4.13-rk3328.config

2 hours ago, zero said:

using the same kernel config, here errors what i got... (somehow it seems cant mount/find the rootfs)

hope someone can help me figure it out...

Try running in combined mode (burn an image to two SD+USB media at once, configure it, and connect them simultaneously). Most likely, your DTB doesn't have support for the SD card.

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Try running in combined mode (burn an image to two SD+USB media at once, configure it, and connect them simultaneously). Most likely, your DTB doesn't have support for the SD card.

24 minutes ago, wdtz said:

That's the  error for a misconfigured dtb, the voltage supply to mmc, @500000 and 5100000

A non-standard regulator setup, like t9 or h96max+

...ahh,, that was it, @wdtz mmc supply voltage is the problem...

now fixed :) thxs

[    3.047452] of_get_named_gpiod_flags: can't parse 'wp-gpios' property of node '/dwmmc@ff5f0000[0]'
[    3.048324] of_get_named_gpiod_flags: can't parse 'wp-gpio' property of node '/dwmmc@ff5f0000[0]'
[    3.049176] dwmmc_rockchip ff5f0000.dwmmc: using lookup tables for GPIO lookup
[    3.049857] dwmmc_rockchip ff5f0000.dwmmc: No GPIO consumer wp found
[    3.050502] dwmmc_rockchip ff5f0000.dwmmc: allocated mmc-pwrseq
[    3.051051] mmc_host mmc2: card is non-removable.
[    3.060702] vcc_arm: ramp_delay not set
[    3.064330] mmc_host mmc2: Bus speed (slot 0) = 400000Hz (slot req 400000Hz, actual 400000HZ div = 0)
[    3.067231] mmc_host mmc0: Bus speed (slot 0) = 50000000Hz (slot req 50000000Hz, actual 50000000HZ div = 0)
[    3.068218] mmc0: new high speed SDHC card at address aaaa
[    3.070820] mmcblk0: mmc0:aaaa SL08G 7.40 GiB
[    3.073398]  mmcblk0: p1

now mmc is working fine although still having another errors,

@balbes150 USB+SD just a good ideas, at some case may this is tricks what i needed,, but for now i'll just continue on using SD,,,

thxs

New 5.3 kernel seems to be better than old 4.4.

I tried image with 4.4 kernel version and it kept crashing with IO errors at least once a day. I could not get any logs because it was just like storage suddenly disconnected or something like that. Nothing worked. Not even reboot.

I tried different SD cards but no change.

Now I have image with 5.3 kernel and so far I have 3 days uptime and no problems/crashes yet.

I am running it on A5X Max with 4GB ram from SD card.

srx, how did you manage to run the 5.3 kernel image on A5X max?

I tried it myself but non of the dtb worked for me. I even tried to adapt a dtb step by step to the old dtb in Kerner 4.4 images...

Can you please share and detail more how you succeeded booting Kernel 5.3 image?

Did you even tried the universal images for all platforms?

3 hours ago, slaven said:

I tried it myself but non of the dtb worked for me. I even tried to adapt a dtb step by step to the old dtb in Kerner 4.4 images...

Can you please share and detail more how you succeeded booting Kernel 5.3 image?

Did you even tried the universal images for all platforms?

5 hours ago, srx said:

New 5.3 kernel seems to be better than old 4.4.

I tried image with 4.4 kernel version and it kept crashing with IO errors at least once a day. I could not get any logs because it was just like storage suddenly disconnected or something like that. Nothing worked. Not even reboot.

I tried different SD cards but no change.

Now I have image with 5.3 kernel and so far I have 3 days uptime and no problems/crashes yet.

I am running it on A5X Max with 4GB ram from SD card.

same to @slaven here i have x88-pro which can run linux 4.4.x but still keep crashing on 5.3.x or 5.4.x,,,

wonder how @srx can manage to run it on 5.x

but since i'm not expert on this compile things, may there is just a bit something that miss configured, usualy...

so, here i attach the last log for i've been working on last few days...

it stopped at say :

[    3.473639] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
[    3.474420] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db

complete detail on the log file a attached, hope some help,,, again:rolleyes:

rk3328-linux-5.3.0.log

18 hours ago, zero said:

Default dtb works for me.

/dtb/rockchip/rk3328-box.dtb

I have not tried others.

No WiFi, no bluetooth. but everything else seems to work.

I actually did not do full install of new image.

I took only /boot and /lib/modules/5.3.0-rk3328-tv/ from new image to get 5.3 kernel.

This is something I am not very happy about actually. There is no easy way to update kernel I know about.

I do not want to backup everything, flash whole new image and then restore everything just to get fresh kernel.

I used Armbian_19.11.3_Rk3328-tv_buster_legacy_5.3.0_20191216.img for new kernel.

Just ungzip it and mount with offsets

mkdir /mnt/boot
mkdir /mnt/root

mount -o offset=16777216 Armbian_19.11.3_Rk3328-tv_buster_legacy_5.3.0_20191216.img /mnt/boot
mount -o offset=285212672 Armbian_19.11.3_Rk3328-tv_buster_legacy_5.3.0_20191216.img /mnt/root

to find correct offsets:

#> fdisk -l Armbian_19.11.3_Rk3328-tv_buster_legacy_5.3.0_20191216.img
Disk Armbian_19.11.3_Rk3328-tv_buster_legacy_5.3.0_20191216.img: 1.9 GiB, 1992294400 bytes, 3891200 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x757e269e

Device                                                      Boot  Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
Armbian_19.11.3_Rk3328-tv_buster_legacy_5.3.0_20191216.img1       32768  557055  524288  256M  e W95 FAT16 (LBA)
Armbian_19.11.3_Rk3328-tv_buster_legacy_5.3.0_20191216.img2      557056 3891199 3334144  1.6G 83 Linux

Multiply partition Start with Sector size

32768 x 512 = 16777216 = Offset for partition 1, /boot

Second partition is rootfs

And then you can copy /mnt/boot to /boot

and /mnt/usr/lib/modules/5.3.0-rk3328-tv/ to /lib/modules/5.3.0-rk3328-tv/

make sure your dtb is correct in /boot/exlinux/extlinux.conf

Check extlinux.conf to see if root filesystem detection is changed (root=LABEL=ROOTFS). If it is, change extlinux.conf to match your conf or update your conf to mach extlinux.conf. either way works.

reboot and you should boot to new kernel if everything was done correctly and DTB works. If not, take your SD to some other computer and fix it.

Of course this could be much easier. I would like to see it as deb package or at least tarball that I can just untar. Maybe we can get kernel update packages somehow?

And some sort of bootloader (like grub, lilo, syslinux, etc) would be awesome, so you can install new kernel beside old one and if new does not boot, you have fallback option. Not sure if that is possible.

Looks like 5.3 has the same crashing problem, it just took longer to get there (unless of course it is hardware issue that causes it).

My A5X max just crashed again. Storage gone, nothing works. Shell is accessible but nothing works, everything gives "not found" or I/O error. Even reboot, init 6 or crtl+alt+del does not work. Only way is to pull the plug.

And as storage is gone, no logs to diagnose the problem.

This time I got 4 days uptime before it crashed.

I guess I will try unified image next. It has 5.5.0 rc2 kernel.

---CONFUSED---

started at last night i just broke my x88 pro tvb, by flashing false uboot on the emmc, then every boot its crash caused by wrong DRAM frequency,,

i guess my only way to fix it by entering maskroom mode, i open the boxes and pull out the heatsink, seeking some clue on there,,,

just a bit surprissed, its was "Rockchip rk3318" (not 3328) cleary writen there...

that was my confusion...

Whats is rk3318? is it has the same family whit rk3328?

searching on the web just found some few documentation about it,,,

searching some configuration on some u-boot or kernel repository almost cant find anything usefull...

hmmm...

luckily this i found the EMMC CLK pin, searching it manually by using an earphone and listen to it.. (bcz i didnt see my board on the web)

i reflash it then, its comeback to alive...

i put it back on Armbian 19.11.9 using legacy kernel 4.4.210 which i compiled last night and using the Rock64 debian buster rootfs, since it was fine,,, (eth,IR OK, no wifi BT)

may be will just stop trial on the 5.x kernel for now, until have enough clue on the 3318 things...

here i attach some picture and logs... just a story...

IMG_20200124_100150.jpg

IMG_20200124_100331.jpg

IMG_20200124_100117.jpg

scr.png

11 hours ago, srx said:

Looks like 5.3 has the same crashing problem, it just took longer to get there (unless of course it is hardware issue that causes it).

My A5X max just crashed again. Storage gone, nothing works. Shell is accessible but nothing works, everything gives "not found" or I/O error. Even reboot, init 6 or crtl+alt+del does not work. Only way is to pull the plug.

And as storage is gone, no logs to diagnose the problem.

This time I got 4 days uptime before it crashed.

I guess I will try unified image next. It has 5.5.0 rc2 kernel.

have u set the reserved tee memory on your dtb?

it cost about 32MB or 36MB i'm not sure...

like whats @hexdump already describe, yesterday this is was fixing my crash issue...

reserved-memory {
                #address-cells = <2>;
                #size-cells = <2>;
                ranges;

tee@0x8400000 {
                        reg = <0x0 0x8400000 0x0 0x2400000>;
                        no-map;
                };
        };

@zero - welcome to the wonderful world of fake tv boxes - they are getting more and more common nowadays - you cannot really trust that you'll find in the boxes what is printed on them - the cheaper they are the more likely it is that they are fake with a hacked up android letting it look like having more ram, more emmc and a faster soc than they really have in a way, so that a normal user will not recognize it ... see my other posting about fake tv boxes here

2 hours ago, hexdump said:

@zero - welcome to the wonderful world of fake tv boxes - they are getting more and more common nowadays - you cannot really trust that you'll find in the boxes what is printed on them - the cheaper they are the more likely it is that they are fake with a hacked up android letting it look like having more ram, more emmc and a faster soc than they really have in a way, so that a normal user will not recognize it ... see my other posting about fake tv boxes here

@hexdump they wrote it clearly "TV Box Rockchip RK3328" on the shop!!!

fist time i'm doubt about it when i installed cpu-z on the android...

and then this morning,,, it's just take me to the  "wonderful world of fake tv boxes"

2 hours ago, hexdump said:

@zero - btw. how did you find the emmc clk pin with an earphone? can you describe that a bit more?

actually i have tried about 4 other false pin on the board, before i got the real emmc clk pin, but i have to make sure that all my test probe pin is safe to be short to GND,,,

ahhh,,, never mind for this tips, actually its does not make a certain clue,,, forgive me,,, (what a joke using an ear phone, its clocked about 200Mhz right? )

just i don't event have an oscilloscope, or frequency meter etc,,, should use that equimpmnt,,,

once again forgive me, this morning just really a live in a day for me,,, 

and your post about fake rk3318, yes i did, i see that when i was searching about it, i just want to make it sure,,,

and ofcourse, for sharing my feelings about this fake world... :(

13 hours ago, zero said:

have u set the reserved tee memory on your dtb?

Thanks for pointing me to that. I have not read the whole thread and missed that bit.

As I understand, I have to add that block to dtb?

I decompiled dtb, added that bit, recompiled. I hope I got it right - at least it booted :)

I am running unified image with 5.5 kernel now. It still crashed before dtb update. I hope it works better now. We will see in few days if it is stable or not.

If that fix works I think it should be included in images. Saves a lot of trouble for many people.

1 hour ago, srx said:

Thanks for pointing me to that. I have not read the whole thread and missed that bit.

As I understand, I have to add that block to dtb?

I decompiled dtb, added that bit, recompiled. I hope I got it right - at least it booted :)

I am running unified image with 5.5 kernel now. It still crashed before dtb update. I hope it works better now. We will see in few days if it is stable or not.

If that fix works I think it should be included in images. Saves a lot of trouble for many people.

thanks to hexdump,,, hehe

btw where did you get this "Armbian_19.11.3_Rk3328-tv_buster_legacy_5.3.0_20191216.img" image?

is there any available link for download?? i want to try to put it on my fake rk3318

i still stuck using 4.4.x 

I see that RK3328 in my A5X max is getting really hot.

It is just touch under 50°C at idle.

At the same time S905X2 in my Mecool KM9 box is running much cooler. About 35°C at idle.

When compiling kernel (make -j4), temps go up to 72°C+ and then it crashes.

S905X2 tops at about 53°C and keeps going.

Not sure if my RK3328 (28nm) box has bad cooling or is S905X2(12nm) just so much more efficient.

Looks like I need to look at cooling first before I try anything else. That could solve my crashing issues.

But at the moment I would suggest to go with S905X2 boxes. Price is about the same.

For the interested, here you find my pull request for a device tree for the H96 Max+ (RK3328) which works with the mainline kernel:

https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/pull/4195

(I guess) compared to other DTBs it adds support for things like the remote control and the blue LED. I am planning on doing the same for the T9 (RK3328) box (as soon as I receive it).

Feel free to review the PR if you think you have some input, thanks.

Here the DTB (for testing with mainline Linux images):

rk3328-box-h96mp.dtb

On 2/4/2020 at 12:56 PM, srx said:

But at the moment I would suggest to go with S905X2 boxes. Price is about the same.

Unlike rk3328, the S905x2 does not have and does not know when HW will be used to speed up DE and full-screen video.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:29 PM, balbes150 said:

Unlike rk3328, the S905x2 does not have and does not know when HW will be used to speed up DE and full-screen video.

On 2/4/2020 at 4:56 PM, srx said:

I see that RK3328 in my A5X max is getting really hot.

It is just touch under 50°C at idle.

last  week i bought tanix tx3-min which has s905w not the s095x2...

both rk and amlogic got nearly same temperature here, about 50 C on idle,

comparing the heat sink, the tx3 have better material by default

despite the high temp the rk seems to be stable so far, i use it for media server and web server,,

have not do much yet on the s905...

and about the fake tvbs, just FYI, they are a mainline on my county... harder to get the original one, the chip inside of it, not chip they are displayed..

got rk3228a on a mxq rk3229 tvb,

got allwinner H3 on a mxq s905w tvb,

but it's not that bad, i think it's more challenging doing with this fakes, because they are cheap hahaha,,,

huge applaud to really great preole out there.

I have a95x z2 rk3318 2gb Ram 16gb Rom model.

i have tried @hexdump dtb, trust.img from @caruso 

and used 'armbian_20.02.0-rc1.038_rk3328-tv_bionic_current_5.5.0-rc6_desktop_20200205.img.xz'  from the firrst link

I get nothing but unsupported on my hdmi monitor.

please help with the file selection.

Especially @Tarzanus as you got the same device, in 4gb ram model

8 hours ago, pinder said:

huge applaud to really great preole out there.

I have a95x z2 rk3318 2gb Ram 16gb Rom model.

i have tried @hexdump dtb, trust.img from @caruso 

and used 'armbian_20.02.0-rc1.038_rk3328-tv_bionic_current_5.5.0-rc6_desktop_20200205.img.xz'  from the firrst link

I get nothing but unsupported on my hdmi monitor.

please help with the file selection.

Especially @Tarzanus as you got the same device, in 4gb ram model

Try images with kernel 4x. You can also try my dtb which works with libreelec and have remote, diode, wifi working.

rk3318-t9_remote_diode_wifi_110.dtb

no luck with anything.

i tried 4.4 image  and dtb as told by @caruso and dd trust.img and uboot.img. Nothing on the screen.

even i copied trust.img and uboot.img to the uboot directory. 

Please help i have a95x z2 2gb/16gb 5 pieces in which i want to install linux. 

i must be missing something.

@balbes150 please any help is appriciated.

7 hours ago, pinder said:

no luck with anything.

i tried 4.4 image  and dtb as told by @caruso and dd trust.img and uboot.img. Nothing on the screen.

even i copied trust.img and uboot.img to the uboot directory. 

Please help i have a95x z2 2gb/16gb 5 pieces in which i want to install linux. 

i must be missing something.

@balbes150 please any help is appriciated.