Designing of S905 development board

muhammad murtaza

I can't answer this well because I have no idea of your expertise or field of study, or competence.  In general, if you are capable of the high speed routing and component selection, and don't vary too far from the reference design (See Odroid C2, FriendlyELEC K2, most TV boxes with S905 inside), then sure, some device tree tweaks and you should be OK.  But if you've never handled such high-speed routing, it will be a challenge.  

On 10/21/2018 at 11:35 PM, muhammad murtaza said:

i am MS student and want to make my own development board for S905. if i purchase components from market and make a pcb then is it work?

I would start out with baby steps - get something like FriendlyARM's NanoPI DUO - it's breadboard friendly, and as a system on module, with clearly defined interfaces - you can start there...

Alternate would be any of the Arduino's (and clones) or the ESP8266/ESP32 boards if one wants to explore WiFi and IOT type of technology - it's a rich community there, and more importantly - many community board layouts/schematics with CAD files for PCB layout - it's not a bad place to start.

Looking forward - what's the long term goal - if you're looking at SW - then just get a community board, and proceed - if you're looking at doing HW - well, look at current example, and like the ESP8266/ESP32, there's a lot of work that has already been done, and you can compare what works to the theory taught in your courses...

8 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

Well, an Allwinner V3s might be a more related baby step, you can avoid routing RAM, for instance.

That's true - with the onboard RAM it does simplify things, and the eLQFP package is "maker" friendly - easier than BGA for assembly... too bad AllWinner couldn't have found a place to drop in some flash on the SoC die, or do a pop package with a decent about of flash...

In my opinion - MCU's are a good starting place for someone's first design and layout - MicroChip's PIC32 line is really good, and there's a lot of great examples to look at... I mentioned the ESP's earlier, but they tend to be SOM's, I haven't tried to obtain just the Espressif chip, as the modules are so dang cheap....

hackaday has their supercon badge, which is a complete microcomputer based on PIC32 - and all their files are open-source (MIT license, IIRC) - CAD, Schematics, Firmware... 

Getting back to OP @muhammad murtaza - check the schools line up of courses - you might have good luck there with courses that can take you further down your desired project goal.