Using custom kernel for a board

gamelaster

Hi!

I already successfully get mainline Armbian working on Pinebook (no sound - working on fix, and also suspend took much time to wake up), but, I don't like the way how I made it.

image.thumb.png.d1ec679ab5cab513a50efb6f44732405.png

Github repo: https://github.com/gamelaster/build/tree/pinebook-build

I set the branch to "next", I set kernel repository to anarsoul's kernel (contains latest patches for A64 and also for Pinebook & Sopine devices) and deleted all patches from sunxi-next (all that patches has been for 4.14), I just kept and add some of patches.

But this is probably terrible idea. @Igor or anyone, can you please me suggest better way to support "next" kernel (The task is to support latest anarsoul's kernel)? I was thinking about changing KERNELFAMILY variable, but really dunno, I'm using Armbian build environment for first time.

P.S. the beta automatical build for Pinebook boots u-boot, then kernel, but in kernel is something messed up (the LCD shutdowns after few second of kernel booted), but I will try to fix it, to have "dev" support too

Thanks for advices!

- gamiee

1 hour ago, gamelaster said:

the beta automatical build for Pinebook boots u-boot, then kernel, but in kernel is something messed up (the LCD shutdowns after few second of kernel booted), but I will try to fix it, to have "dev" support too

We need to sort that out, 4.19.y is only interesting on this Pinebook. Remove all but https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/sunxi-dev/general-packaging-4.17-dev.patch and try ... than add patch by patch. I have no idea which is breaking this ATM.

Hi,

Great job Igor. I have working Bluetooth and Audio, it works pretty good (shown on video lower) (Note that this my build uses Anarsoul's kernel with no patches (Only some I kept)). I will make Pull Requests for Bluetooth and Audio support for A64, probably this weekend (Should work also on Teres). Also please, it's possible to add support for test "bleeding edge" images (like this one)?

5 hours ago, gamelaster said:

I have working Bluetooth and Audio, it works pretty good

Great progress!!!

5 hours ago, gamelaster said:

build uses Anarsoul's kernel with no patches

We need to keep one kernel for many hw and that's why patches are a must. Current situation is still messy and I only find out that some of my additional patches are causing Pinebook to hang at boot.  I also plan to merge a dozent of patches, some sent upstream to make it easier to maintain.

I was working whole day yesterday and the day before and the day before ...  I can add new updated test image, but it is much better for me to do nothing for a few days. When things are merged in, images can be produced automatically. No need to rush anywhere. Production ready images shell go out when DEV branch is tested very well and is moved to NEXT. We still miss suspend / resume, right? This is a must function for notebooks. I haven't saw if there is a solution developed for that?

6 minutes ago, Igor said:

If you will try with our patchset, disable those and Pinebook should boot:
general-add-overlay-compilation-support.patch

general-enable-kernel-dtbs-symbol-generation.patch

general-sunxi-overlays.patch

@Igor Did you figured out why those patch prevent Pinebook to boot ? (it didn't previously)

Not yet. This is all I know now. Its kind of strange ... need to check on pure mainline upstream source if that change anything else digging in. Now real life problems :)

Wrote on mobile

On 11/23/2018 at 4:37 PM, Igor said:

Not yet. This is all I know now. Its kind of strange ... need to check on pure mainline upstream source if that change anything else digging in. Now real life problems :)

Wrote on mobile

I was testing it yesterday, the OS don't hang, just LCD is disabled for some strange reason. The OS works fine on HDMI display, so I think the patches mess up something about LCD.

Today I didn't had much time, so hopefully those days I will find out where is problem.

- gamiee

On 11/26/2018 at 11:31 PM, gamelaster said:

Today I didn't had much time, so hopefully those days I will find out where is problem.

Haven't found the problem either, but I applied a dirty fix that we have at least screen.

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/sunxi-dev/xxx-pinebook-revert-pwm-polairity-TEMP-WORKAROUND.patch

This gives screen but kills pwm control.

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/sunxi-dev/Revert_BT_HCIUART_RTL_ACPI_dependency.patch
Fix to make bluetooth part compilable, but I could not get it working yet.