3g/4g getting started help

Technicavolous

So far I've been able to get just about everything running with Armbian but I just haven't got my head around routing a usb / mpci 4g modem. I clearly see it's a ttyACM0 device, I can see it's a USB connection in nmtui, ifconfig shows it as usb0 interface. I think the hardware is good and Armbian is talking to it fine.

Can someone point me to a tutorial somewhere that would turn the light on for a first time try at routing data from a cellular modem?

I'm using a clearfog pro but I also have an espressobin. The modem is a U-Blox MPCI-L201 and I imagine should work on either board.

I'm probably just not putting the right questions to uncle google ...

Thanks in advance

Hey thanks!!

I've torn through that, overwhelmed by 900+ pages in the AT command set manual as well as the examples ... I'm missing something stupid basic ... how do I get a terminal to do the at commands in the first place?? A good pointer would be awesome.

I'm assuming /dev/ttyACM0 with a terminal program? [screen / minicom etc]

Once it clicks I'm sure I'll be off and running ;]

5 hours ago, Technicavolous said:

I'm assuming /dev/ttyACM0 with a terminal program? [screen / minicom etc] 

I'm not sure about this. i'm just guessing.
Did you try Putty? There serial connection. Serial name : /dev/ttyACM0
                                                                    Baut rate      : 115200 (or another baut rate)
It looks like you need a serial connection, but I'm not an expert (in nothing)

19 hours ago, Igor said:

OK this gives me somewhere to start thanks. More questions come about but now I can ask unkle G ;]

Using the AT command set I should be able to edit one of the .sh files for the ublox. 

One thing I see in the data sheet is that part numbers ending in 00 don't support https ... this may be a show stopper for the most part. Gotta love those asterisks.

BTW on the clearfog download page it shows tested hardware Huawei ME909s - can someone point me to the setting for that one? I imagine almost everything but the vendor id's will be close enough to get started with.

Looks like I need to

establish a consistent interface name

configure the modem

set the interface

set the route to the other ports

Couple days more reading ;]

2 hours ago, Technicavolous said:

it shows tested hardware Huawei ME909s - can someone point me to the setting for that one?

That's plug and play. Type armbian-config and if it is plugged you will have "Enabled/disable LTE"
https://github.com/armbian/config/blob/master/debian-config-functions-network#L36-L86

3 hours ago, Technicavolous said:

More questions come about but now I can ask unkle G ;]

@Stanislav Sinyagin is the man behind this and if he is around he can tell you more.