No USB Power (ROCK64+ARMBIAN 5.7)

takezo

Armbianmonitor:

Hello, can someone help me with my problem.

I have a ROCK64 with 4GB of RAM and an ARMBIAN 5.75 stable Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS 4.4.174-rockchip64, installed.
My issue come with usb ports, from the three USB of the this device only works two: one 2.0 and 3.0. And when i have a disk connected towards usb 3.0 i have issues with port usb 2.0, it doesn't work well and I end up disconnecting the USB 3.0 to can work with my device connected towards USB 2.0 so I assume that the current power on the USB port is having issues or it's not working well.

Anybody an idea?

thanks!

So, let me ask some questions to make sure I have the full picture, and unpack some of this:

1.  Have you tried booting the device with only 1 device plugged into the Rock64, in the usb2 port that is giving you trouble? 
  2. Is the USB3 drive you are using self-powered or powering from the USB port itself, and what are it's power requirements?

Some background:

One of the USB 2 ports on these boards is a USB OTG with the device tree specifying it as a host.  That used to be problematic before the "host" mode was explicitly stated.  That said, I don't think that's the issue here, although I'll double check a new image if I get time. 

The other issue is basic single board computer reality, which is always a tough pill to swallow:  The entire board only has available the amount of power a single USB 3.0 port is allowed to consume according to specification.  I wish USB had some kind of split specification compliance so that you could show that your device is USB3 communication compliant but not USB 3.0 power compliant.  It sounds like the USB power is falling below 4.75 volts and some of your devices are disconnecting due to under powering. 

If the drive has no provisions for power other than the USB port, then a powered hub or powering the board via GPIO (only for the experienced) is recommended.  Even if the drive seems to work without other things plugged in, you will face data corruption if you're underpowering it.

Hello, bumping this thread, as this is also about the rock64 and usb3 with a more recent image.

It seems to me that now for the "legacy" kernel (tested here with Armbian_19.11.6_Rock64_buster_legacy_4.4.207 image) there is support for the usb3 bus, but for the mainline Armbian_19.11.5_Rock64_buster_current_5.4.6 there is not (the 19.11.6 current kernel image gives me an oops on boot and no network).
Is there something I can do to add it to the mainline/current image?

Tia, Huey 

output on mainline:

root@rock64:~# uname -a
Linux rock64 5.4.6-rockchip64 #19.11.5 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 27 21:46:18 CET 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

root@rock64:~# lsusb -t
/:  Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc2/1p, 480M

output on legacy:

root@rock64:~# uname -a
Linux rock64 4.4.207-rockchip64 #1 SMP Sun Jan 5 00:23:38 CET 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

root@rock64:~# lsusb -t
/:  Bus 05.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 5000M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=uas, 5000M
/:  Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 480M
/:  Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc2/1p, 480M

Edited by Huey
additional info

On 1/10/2020 at 2:42 PM, Huey said:

but for the mainline

Features that exists in legacy kernel, where support for this hardware was initially developed, has to be ported to 5.4.y or developed from scratch. That process can easily costs several hundreds of thousands of dollars, a million, more ... Of course not from today's position since most of the things are already done and there are not many problems left. Perhaps several months, a year to have expected stability/functionality.

On 1/10/2020 at 2:42 PM, Huey said:

Is there something I can do to add it to the mainline/current image?

If you are not a kernel hacker/developer, none.