testers wanted armbian-config
4 4

76 posts in this topic

On 4. 4. 2017 at 10:28 PM, zador.blood.stained said:

(i.e. with mainline u-boot environment can be edited from the OS using fw_setenv)

I am puzzled with calculating offset. I found some parameters, which looks properly calculated, but it looks like it doesn't write to the right place, since u-boot stuck at prompt.

/etc/fw_env.config

# Device to access      offset          env size
/dev/mmcblk0            0x88000         0x20000

This is a bit old but numbers looks alright ? https://blog.night-shade.org.uk/2014/01/fw_printenv-config-for-allwinner-devices/

http://linux-sunxi.org/Bootable_SD_card#SD_Card_Layout 

Offset is correct. There is a bug in recent U-boot when saving environment files. Will try to catch the bastard ...

ls /tmp/armbianmonitor_checks_* >/dev/null 2>&1 || return
        for file in /tmp/armbianmonitor_checks_* ; do
                echo -e "\n### \c"
                ls "${file}" | cut -f1 -d.
                echo
                cat "${file}"
        done

Just a thought. At the end of CollectSupportInfo function in armbianmonitor there is the code above (no idea why it's there, I hate this interactive forum crap more and more). So maybe throwing debug info of the various armbian-config modules in append mode there so users can be asked to submit output from 'armbianmonitor -u' in case things don't work as expected (eg. me trying out AP mode with RTL8812 but failing)?

I didn't went further with diagnostic part, since the core of this tool, basics what I wanted to achieve, is getting ready and now I am running it over and over again to find troubles. The main problem regarding enabling AP is that hostapd at regular repository is missing config file, while this is fixed in beta. That means if you don't switch to beta, this detection is broken for all standard wireless chips. Next it would be good to print out some debug info when detection fails in both cases ... but on the other hand if hostapd with most primitive settings doesn't work, than there is nothing we can do. If wireless is not detected, you should not get here anyway. 

37 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

I hate this interactive forum

I am on IRC always, when I am in the office :)

13 minutes ago, Igor said:

I am on IRC always, when I am in the office

I know but was referring to formatting issues when writing here. Eg. try to post somthing with code inside spoiler tags. Since the forum upgrade the 'code tag' and linefeeds get ignored and I always end up re-editing my posts due to this 'improvement' (you're not responsible for -- i know. But the forum upgrade made it harder to share stuff here)

21 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

try to post somthing with code inside spoiler tags

If I do that to clean post, eg. SPOILER -> INSERT code, than it works. If there is anything else, than I can't add code. Well, I'll check their forums or file an support ticket.

The biggest problem is no switch from WYSIWYG to BBcode that was possible in the previous version.

For the code&spoiler combination - you can still write spoiler tags manually around the code block.

pfeerick likes this

Just now, Igor said:

Showing it once is almost the same as not showing it at all.

And showing it every time without an easy way to disable the message is not very convenient too.

It would be good to add 2 new features in the future:

• enable or disable MOTD scripts (individually)
  • freeze or unfreeze kernel and board support packages (`apt-mark hold`)
Igor and tkaiser like this

On 6. 5. 2017 at 2:20 PM, zador.blood.stained said:

It would be good to add 2 new features in the future:

• enable or disable MOTD scripts (individually)
  • freeze or unfreeze kernel and board support packages (`apt-mark hold`)

This is also done. I think we have enough features for upcoming update. I did few tests - works fine, while time will tell if there are still bugs. I'll try to do some code cleanup & optimisations ...

Did anyone try overlayfs feature recently?

In the latest nightlies, when I enable overlayfs on my Orange Pi Zero it works as expected, when I try to disable overlayfs again, the Zero does not boot up anymore.

7 hours ago, d1dd1 said:

Did anyone try overlayfs feature recently?

In the latest nightlies, when I enable overlayfs on my Orange Pi Zero it works as expected, when I try to disable overlayfs again, the Zero does not boot up anymore.

It used to work, so this looks like a bug and need to be inspected.

I thought armbian-config was going to be useable with the last update that went out?
I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.2 kernel but is not available after installation. Do I still need to manually install using above git commands?
Any idea when this will be included in the mainline?

I'm running off NanoPiNeoAir, btw.

12 hours ago, StuxNet said:

I thought armbian-config was going to be useable with the last update that went out?

Update hasn't been pushed out yet - too much problems and too little time.