Banana Pi M64 kernel error

kometch

6 hours ago, shaddow501 said:

copies almost everything

Its called reference design which is the way you wire the chip to the outside world. Not many options. Memory could be the same, yes, but could also be different. Same goes for other things. If the problem is related to the SoC internal functions, where most of the things happens, they share bug.

I can confirm the same on a Banana Pi M64 with the latest available image and the one before. Panic is always random, and sometimes U-Boot can't even find the SD Card.

Verified reproducible on a second board, and the Fedora image with kernel 5.3 available from BPI's site boots fine every time.

Hello,

today I have revived the module with the same version 1.1 like my older module that I have had working with Armbian.

I have tried to load several versions of Armian  with this module and have crashed every time. 

Apparently it only works with the "2018-11-02-ubuntu-16.04-mate-desktop-preview-bpi-m64-aarch64-sd-emmc.img" based on kernel 4.4.

I think that if this issue will not be solved by Armbian guys you can remove the bananaPI - M64 from the supported modules.

11 hours ago, shaddow501 said:

by Armbian guys

You can also invest something into open source software. If you are unable to hack kernel, hire someone and when you guys find a problem, send a patch - here or upstream.

Armbian guys are overloaded with a work most people don't even notice. And it will never be enough ... :huh:

42 minutes ago, Igor said:

You can also invest something into open source software. If you are unable to hack kernel, hire someone and when you guys find a problem, send a patch - here or upstream.

Armbian guys are overloaded with a work most people don't even notice. And it will never be enough ... :huh:

So you can remove the product from the Armbian support list. so others will not fail and try image that does not work.

7 hours ago, shaddow501 said:

So you can remove the product from the Armbian support list

We are not giving up on A64, that you don't need to use dirty BSP kernel preview images from amateurs. Its planned to look closely into the issue https://armbian.atlassian.net/browse/AR-130 just time is the issue.

7 hours ago, shaddow501 said:

others will not fail and try image that does not work

Just a few others will understand this fact, while most will fail to (read and try to) understand what this and that support status means and continue to waste our time (in bulk) by asking where are the images or how to fix it ... their perception is that we know what is wrong and they can probably fix themselves if we tell them how ... but in fact it can be week(s) of hard work. Which is extremely hard to reserve for such task and which nobody pays. People also asks us for other Bananas (with exotic chip-sets we will never support), where are the images (can they use an image from Banana X on Banana Y, why doesn't work ...) and how install Armbian on them. By email, PM and on forum. And extend this to other hardware ...

On download pages there is a label "No official support (CSC)" which you can't miss:

Spoiler

image.png

More than that, its not possible.

This board also doesn't have appointed community maintainer, a person that would care about images status and inform others https://forum.armbian.com/staffapplications/application/6-we-need-board-maintainers/ 

Armbian developers are unable to cover that.

3 hours ago, Igor said:

We are not giving up on A64, that you don't need to use dirty BSP kernel preview images from amateurs. Its planned to look closely into the issue https://armbian.atlassian.net/browse/AR-130 just time is the issue.

Just a few others will understand this fact, while most will fail to (read and try to) understand what this and that support status means and continue to waste our time (in bulk) by asking where are the images or how to fix it ... their perception is that we know what is wrong and they can probably fix themselves if we tell them how ... but in fact it can be week(s) of hard work. Which is extremely hard to reserve for such task and which nobody pays. People also asks us for other Bananas (with exotic chip-sets we will never support), where are the images (can they use an image from Banana X on Banana Y, why doesn't work ...) and how install Armbian on them. By email, PM and on forum. And extend this to other hardware ...

On download pages there is a label "No official support (CSC)" which you can't miss:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

More than that, its not possible.

This board also doesn't have appointed community maintainer, a person that would care about images status and inform others https://forum.armbian.com/staffapplications/application/6-we-need-board-maintainers/ 

Armbian developers are unable to cover that.

Ok, good luck, hope that someone will find our what is going on with the board and give a solution,

The reason  that I have selected this board is that it is 64 bit and no additional hardware needed to be added in order to support battery. 

So far I didnt find any newer board that support li-ion battery in the sizes of those boards.

2 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Yes but it is based on the same processor, what I meant is that since the A64 is kind of "old" I didnt find new processor board designs that support li-ion battery.

Since we have issues with boards with A64 processors it is kinda not that smart to get the same design, (orange,banana,OlinuXino, Pine.... and so on) 

2 hours ago, @lex said:

@Igor

@martinayotte

Here is the fix:

&cpu0 {
    cpu-supply = <&reg_dcdc2>;
};

I think that this is more clear...

17  arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-a64-bananapi-m64.dts 
@@ -4,6 +4,7 @@
/dts-v1/;

#include "sun50i-a64.dtsi"
+#include "sun50i-a64-cpu-opp.dtsi"

#include <dt-bindings/gpio/gpio.h>

@@ -69,6 +70,22 @@
	status = "okay";
};

+&cpu0 {
+	cpu-supply = <&reg_dcdc2>;
+};
+
+&cpu1 {
+};
+
+&cpu2 {
+};
+
+&cpu3 {
+};
+
&dai {
	status = "okay";
};

AND:

diff --git a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-a64-cpu-opp.dtsi b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-a64-cpu-opp.dtsi
new file mode 100644
index 000000000000..578c37490d90
--- /dev/null
+++ b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-a64-cpu-opp.dtsi
@@ -0,0 +1,75 @@
+// SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
+/*
+ * Copyright (C) 2020 Vasily khoruzhick <anarsoul@gmail.com>
+ */
+
+/ {
+	cpu0_opp_table: opp_table0 {
+		compatible = "operating-points-v2";
+		opp-shared;
+
+		opp-648000000 {
+			opp-hz = /bits/ 64 <648000000>;
+			opp-microvolt = <1040000>;
+			clock-latency-ns = <244144>; /* 8 32k periods */
+		};
+
+		opp-816000000 {
+			opp-hz = /bits/ 64 <816000000>;
+			opp-microvolt = <1100000>;
+		};
+
+		opp-912000000 {
+			opp-hz = /bits/ 64 <912000000>;
+			opp-microvolt = <1120000>;
+		};
+
+		opp-960000000 {
+			opp-hz = /bits/ 64 <960000000>;
+			opp-microvolt = <1160000>;
+		};
+
+		opp-1008000000 {
+			opp-hz = /bits/ 64 <1008000000>;
+			opp-microvolt = <1200000>;
+		};
+
+		opp-1056000000 {
+			opp-hz = /bits/ 64 <1056000000>;
+			opp-microvolt = <1240000>;
+		};
+
+		opp-1104000000 {
+			opp-hz = /bits/ 64 <1104000000>;
+			opp-microvolt = <1260000>;
+		};
+
+		opp-1152000000 {
+			opp-hz = /bits/ 64 <1152000000>;
+			opp-microvolt = <1300000>;
+		};
+	};
+};
+
+&cpu0 {
+	operating-points-v2 = <&cpu0_opp_table>;
+};
+
+&cpu1 {
+};
+
+&cpu2 {
+};
+
+&cpu3 {
+};

But have you tested it? did you compile image that work?

Can you share the created image for testing?

5 hours ago, shaddow501 said:

But have you tested it?

I understand your frustration, but correct reply is "Thank you for the hint". While you wait, you can also build image with those changes: https://github.com/armbian/build and make your first valuable contribution to the community. You don't get such chances every day.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

I understand your frustration, but correct reply is "Thank you for the hint". While you wait, you can also build image with those changes: https://github.com/armbian/build and make your first valuable contribution to the community. You don't get such chances every day.

I really dont understand what is your problem Igor,  instead for helping in this post you are continuously give unpleasant remarks that doesn't contribute anyone.  what is wrong by the question have you tested it and confirmed that this is the issue?

Really what is your problem ? why is that attitude ?  you dont want to help? OK than do not., but stop acting like a child. grow UP!

I didnt ask you the question, If you dont have anything to contribute than dont answer, you are crying that you dont have time to fix those issue but I see that you have time to waste ours with those answers that doesnt get us anywhere.

1 hour ago, shaddow501 said:

instead for helping

Perhaps you don't see it? I try to help you understand how things are here. How many open source projects works. This is not a commercial product.

1 hour ago, shaddow501 said:

you dont want to help?

I work on the project between 5-10h every day. We do help all the time, but in case you try to put a pressure on developers or trying to get an attention to your problem, you will simply be denied. Or worse.

Thank you for reporting the problem ... we are aware of. There is nothing more to add from your side in case you don't want to test this hint.

• Igor locked this topic
  • Igor unlocked this topic