3 3
NicoD

NanoPi M4 Mainline wifi not working

Recommended Posts

Hi all.
I'm doing some tests and I noticed wifi isn't working on the M4 with Bionic 5.4(server from download page) and 5.3(desktop self build)
Both on-board wifi any usb wifi dongles aren't working.
Anyone an idea why this is? Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NicoD said:

Anyone an idea why this is?

Most probably NetworkManager issue again and again ... Try to disable it and do "old school" /etc/network/interface config, I bet it will work ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Try to disable it and do "old school" /etc/network/interface config, I bet it will work .

Doesn't seem to be working.
I disabled networkmanager and set /etc/network/interface. ip a shows dummy0 instead of wlan0. I'll try an image of balbes to see if it's the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@balbes150 image didn't boot on the M4 with the M4.dtb
So I used the Rock Pi4 instead. I already had a working gaming image for it.
@martinayotte I hope the PineH64 comment about no wifi on freshly builds isn't the same problem. I tried the PineH64 model b a few days ago and then it worked. I can't remember ever having problems with the M4 here either. I can be wrong, too many boards...
All a happy new year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, NicoD said:

I hope the PineH64 comment about no wifi on freshly builds

I don't have any issue on my PineH64 which is currently running 5.5.0-rc2 DEV build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

I see the same issue, i downloaded the latest OS available today on armbian https://dl.armbian.com/nanopim4/Buster_current

Seems after the install both wifi and bluetooth not working and no adapter is displayed.

 

this is the OS command i use and seems its a different board being listed in their image instead of RK3399

 

root@nanopim4:~# uname -a
Linux nanopim4 5.4.6-rockchip64 #19.11.4 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 27 00:45:52 CET 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

 

I tried replacing the mentioned firmware files as per @martinayotte and after a reboot it worked just fine.!!

 

Thanks

Edited by heyden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 2:07 PM, NicoD said:

Hi all.
I'm doing some tests and I noticed wifi isn't working on the M4 with Bionic 5.4(server from download page) and 5.3(desktop self build)
Both on-board wifi any usb wifi dongles aren't working.
Anyone an idea why this is? Cheers.

Hi Nico, is this with the M4 version 2 ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

This thread has been silent for some time. Maybe there is already solution to run both Bluetooth and Wireless on M4 version 1 with new kernel 5.4.

My problem is that after fresh installation of any 5.4 kernel image on my Nano M4, I have working bluetooth, but no wifi. When I apply firmware files suggested by @martinayotte, wifi starts to work, but bluetooth is not working any longer.

 

So is there solution to have both wifi and bluetooth with 5.4 kernel.

Also I have ordered 4x SATA HAT, what are my chances of getting this hat to work on 5.4 kernel? I can say that WiringPI provided by Friendly Elec are not working right away. Maybe I should switch back to legacy kernel to have everything working?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 7:30 AM, pkfox said:

Hi Nico, is this with the M4 version 2 ?

Sorry, only now I see this comment. It was the version 1. I haven't looked into it again. I'll see if I find time this week to test again.
 

22 hours ago, sergiigladchuk said:

Maybe I should switch back to legacy kernel to have everything working?

Indeed. That is best. Only for panfrost mainline is better now. But it'll take some time before everything is perfect in mainline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NicoD said:

Sorry, only now I see this comment. It was the version 1. I haven't looked into it again. I'll see if I find time this week to test again.
 

Indeed. That is best. Only for panfrost mainline is better now. But it'll take some time before everything is perfect in mainline.

Thanks NicoD. No hurry here, I checked yesterday official Friend Elec images for NanoPi M4, they are still on 4.4 kernel, so I just installed Buster server with 4.4 and all works fine, and hat should be fine as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same issue on my NanoPiM4 building to the latest (5.4) Debian.  Bluetooth is working but wifi is not.  Tried troubleshooting a bit today - but I'm having trouble tracking down where the kernel mod load list is as /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf contains nothing.  I've identified what I believe the "correct" driver should be, but lsmod & hwinfo are both giving odd results as to which bcrm43456 driver is loaded....or loaded at all.  Some direction on which / how to track down the device tree would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This got wifi working for me (but broke bluetooth :( ):

 

$ cd /lib/firmware/brcm

$ sudo mv brcmfmac4356-sdio.bin brcmfmac4356-sdio.bin.old
$ sudo mv brcmfmac4356-sdio.txt brcmfmac4356-sdio.txt.old

copy drivers from this post to ~/Downloads:

 

$ sudo cp ~/Downloads/brcmfmac4356-sdio.* .
$ sudo chmod g+w brcmfmac4356-sdio.bin
$ sudo chmod g+w brcmfmac4356-sdio.txt

then reboot

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jimg said:

This got wifi working for me (but broke bluetooth :( ):

 

$ cd /lib/firmware/brcm

$ sudo mv brcmfmac4356-sdio.bin brcmfmac4356-sdio.bin.old
$ sudo mv brcmfmac4356-sdio.txt brcmfmac4356-sdio.txt.old

copy drivers from this post to ~/Downloads:

 

$ sudo cp ~/Downloads/brcmfmac4356-sdio.* .
$ sudo chmod g+w brcmfmac4356-sdio.bin
$ sudo chmod g+w brcmfmac4356-sdio.txt

then reboot

 

 

Yes, same thing happened to me - wifi worked but not bluetooth, that is why I switched back to legacy kernel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sergiigladchuk said:

Yes, same thing happened to me - wifi worked but not bluetooth, that is why I switched back to legacy kernel. 

Bluetooth works for me, but only if I completely power off and do a cold boot.  It doesn't work on a warm restart. 

 

Note that firmware updates currently will overwrite these changes, so be careful when doing an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
3 3