I put together a new kernel, what should I do to start a new kernel?

buratino

Hello dear developers and visitors to the forum. I have compiled my core for the opi3 board, but I do not know what to do to test my core. There is little information on the u-boot bootloader and I can’t configure it on my kernel, if I replace the vmlinuz-5.4.7-sunxi64 file, the board does not start, u-boot reports that there is no kernel image. I turn to professionals, please teach me how to work with U-Boot.

34 minutes ago, buratino said:

the opi3 plus board,

Are you sure about "plus" ? I'm not aware of "plus" variant, I only know "OrangePi3" ...

34 minutes ago, buratino said:

if I replace the vmlinuz-5.4.7-sunxi64 file

If you original image is an Armbian image, U-Boot is loading /boot/Image, which is a symbolic link to vmlinuz-5.4.7-sunxi64. But it also load /boot/uInitrd, which is a symbolic link to uInitrd-5.4.7-sunxi64 and you also need to make sure you installed modules in /lib/modules/5.4.7-sunxi64.

Maybe it would be easier for you to use Armbian build scripts and compile a kernel package that would be installed with "dpkg -i linux-image-dev-sunxi64_19.11.7_arm64.deb" ...

1 hour ago, martinayotte said:

If you original image is an Armbian image, U-Boot is loading /boot/Image, which is a symbolic link to vmlinuz-5.4.7-sunxi64. But it also load /boot/uInitrd, which is a symbolic link to uInitrd-5.4.7-sunxi64 and you also need to make sure you installed modules in /lib/modules/5.4.7-sunxi64.

And what to do with uinitrd?

The symbolic link to the image has changed, the kernel does not load:

Applying kernel provided DT fixup script (sun8i-h3-fixup.scr)                                                                                                                                                                                  
## Executing script at 44000000                                                                                                                                                                                                                
SCRIPT FAILED: continuing...

Is it not enough to change one symbolic link to load another kernel?

Just now, martinayotte said:

As I said, it would be easier that you compile using Armbian scripts and install it using "dpkg -i <new_kernel.dtb>" ...

I work from a gentoo distribution, so I can not use the armbian script.

Just now, Igor said:

Armbian build script should work there - via Docker. Check manual.

Can you talk more about the build script and docker? I built Gentoo on an Armbian kernel and I want to rebuild the kernel on it, I have problems with sound.

11 minutes ago, Igor said:

Armbian build script should work there - via Docker. Check manual.

The script does not work for me:

# ./compile.sh 
./compile.sh: line 77: systemd-detect-virt: command not found
[ o.k. ] Create example config file using template [ config-default.conf ]
[ o.k. ] Using config file [ /usr/src/build/userpatches/config-example.conf ]
/usr/src/build/lib/main.sh: line 136: dialog: command not found
[ error ] ERROR in function source [ main.sh:138 ]
[ error ] No option selected 
[ o.k. ] Process terminated 

Need another option, manual configuration u-boot.