0
buratino

I put together a new kernel, what should I do to start a new kernel?

Recommended Posts

Hello dear developers and visitors to the forum. I have compiled my core for the opi3 board, but I do not know what to do to test my core. There is little information on the u-boot bootloader and I can’t configure it on my kernel, if I replace the vmlinuz-5.4.7-sunxi64 file, the board does not start, u-boot reports that there is no kernel image. I turn to professionals, please teach me how to work with U-Boot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, buratino said:

the opi3 plus board,

Are you sure about "plus" ? I'm not aware of "plus" variant, I only know "OrangePi3" ...

34 minutes ago, buratino said:

if I replace the vmlinuz-5.4.7-sunxi64 file

If you original image is an Armbian image, U-Boot is loading /boot/Image, which is a symbolic link to vmlinuz-5.4.7-sunxi64. But it also load /boot/uInitrd, which is a symbolic link to uInitrd-5.4.7-sunxi64 and you also need to make sure you installed modules in /lib/modules/5.4.7-sunxi64.

 

Maybe it would be easier for you to use Armbian build scripts and compile a kernel package that would be installed with "dpkg -i linux-image-dev-sunxi64_19.11.7_arm64.deb" ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Are you sure about "plus" ? I'm not aware of "plus" variant, I only know "OrangePi3" ...

 

Sorry, I was wrong, I already fixed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, martinayotte said:

If you original image is an Armbian image, U-Boot is loading /boot/Image, which is a symbolic link to vmlinuz-5.4.7-sunxi64. But it also load /boot/uInitrd, which is a symbolic link to uInitrd-5.4.7-sunxi64 and you also need to make sure you installed modules in /lib/modules/5.4.7-sunxi64.

And what to do with uinitrd?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The symbolic link to the image has changed, the kernel does not load:

 

Applying kernel provided DT fixup script (sun8i-h3-fixup.scr)                                                                                                                                                                                  
## Executing script at 44000000                                                                                                                                                                                                                
SCRIPT FAILED: continuing...


 

Is it not enough to change one symbolic link to load another kernel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, buratino said:

Is it not enough to change one symbolic link to load another kernel?

As I said, it would be easier that you compile using Armbian scripts and install it using "dpkg -i <new_kernel.dtb>" ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, martinayotte said:

As I said, it would be easier that you compile using Armbian scripts and install it using "dpkg -i <new_kernel.dtb>" ...

I work from a gentoo distribution, so I can not use the armbian script.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, buratino said:

I work from a gentoo distribution, so I can not use the armbian script.


Armbian build script should work there - via Docker. Check manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Igor said:


Armbian build script should work there - via Docker. Check manual.

Can you talk more about the build script and docker? I built Gentoo on an Armbian kernel and I want to rebuild the kernel on it, I have problems with sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Igor said:


Armbian build script should work there - via Docker. Check manual.

But I would like to learn how to configure u-boot for any supported kernel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Igor said:


Armbian build script should work there - via Docker. Check manual.

 

The script does not work for me:

# ./compile.sh 
./compile.sh: line 77: systemd-detect-virt: command not found
[ o.k. ] Create example config file using template [ config-default.conf ]
[ o.k. ] Using config file [ /usr/src/build/userpatches/config-example.conf ]
/usr/src/build/lib/main.sh: line 136: dialog: command not found
[ error ] ERROR in function source [ main.sh:138 ]
[ error ] No option selected 
[ o.k. ] Process terminated 

Need another option, manual configuration u-boot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
0