Project: Native Armbian USB/SD Tool.

scott90420

To avoid off-topic discussion, suggested by @balbes150, i started this thread in hope that someone wants to get involved contributing to Armbian!?!

I want to make an Android app that can:

• Extract your DTB.img.
  • Burn Armbian distro to USB/SD card.

(no PC required!)  - it will require root OR custom recovery.

Targets:

1. AMlogic first,
  2. Rockchip after,
  3. Maybe more (MTK)? 

The app will use:

• 'EtchDroid' (open source - F-Droid) to burn the .img's to USB/SD card.
  • 'Amlogic DTB tool' (open source - GitHub) for DTB extraction.

What i need:

HELP!!! i cannot do it alone! i will need ATLEAST some guidance/tips/help from you beautiful geeks! the app will be open-source.

I'm currently stuck trying to figure out:

How i can flash the AML_autoscript.zip via TWRP instead of the stock 'Upgrade" app on our boxes.

I am sorry I cannot help you with details, but I can wish you good luck, and perhaps give some helpful general advice, on embarking on (what I can gather?) may be the beginning of your hacking career. :)

Stick with it. Try and not get too frustrated, especially if you are learning some of this stuff for the first time. Try and remember to have fun along the way.

It can go very slow at first, it may seem you are spending all your time "yak shaving" instead of making progress, but remember, learning is progress, too...

Cheers! :)

Edited by TRS-80
add link

15 hours ago, scott90420 said:
  • Extract your DTB.img

You don't need it now. And why you just don't use dd, base busybox utility, and any text editor to change dtb in uEnv.txt/extlinux.conf

And if you talk about DT from stock adroid, it probably unusable with other kernel(mainline in armbian) without huge editing.

On 1/29/2020 at 1:19 PM, talraash said:

You don't need it now. And why you just don't use dd, base busybox utility, and any text editor to change dtb in uEnv.txt/extlinux.conf

And if you talk about DT from stock adroid, it probably unusable with other kernel(mainline in armbian) without huge editing.

Hey @talraash thanks, glad to hear the dtb.img from your original firmware is no longer needed! makes it easier. I am currently stuck trying to figure out how to make a TWRP flashable version of AML_autoscript, to activate multiboot from recovery.

@TRS-80 thanks for your kind words and motivation :)

I just came across your post in other thread where you first mentioned this idea:

On 1/27/2020 at 10:01 PM, scott90420 said:

Armbian will be more accessible to the masses if it was in an app like i am trying to make here, it can be on F-Droid, PlayStore, APKmirror etc so it reaches a larger audience.

[...]
Making it COMPLETELY noob-friendly and available to those without PC's [...]
What'cha think???

+1 for F-Droid  . :thumbup:   :beer:

Now, not to discourage you, but this is what I think (since you asked)...

Once upon a time, you actually had to learn how to use a computer. Shocking, I know! Then someone came along and invented the "one button + touch interface" and some years later now we have dumbed down interfaces on everything, "wizards" (not the good kind), etc...

So, I admire that you try to help others, however, be careful what you wish for... ;)

Most of support burden in this forum (and everywhere, really) are clueless users who cannot even be bothered to do basic searching, reading, etc. and by lowering the barrier to entry you only attract more of these kind of "help vampires."

JMHO from a cranky old BOFH. :) Now, get off my lawn and get back to work. :D

Edited by TRS-80
make response to quote pulled from other thread

I would be interested in a how-to guide on the topic of making an Armbian dtb based on the information out of an Android dtb. Got a X88 King box that boots to desktop but usb does not work in Armbian while usb is fine in Android :)

is there some progress ?

...I´m in amirul´s boat ;-). Would like to extract a dtb from an Android image ...to use it to boot "Linux/Armbian" on an Android TV Box (in my case a X88 King...a real cheap S922X based TV Box...in comparison to other S922x boxes)

• Werner locked this topic