Armbian for Amlogic S905X3

Sergey2k

You're right, the u-boo.sd was already existing into the boot folder.

So, I have done the installation on eMMC like this:

sudo su root
cd /root
./install-aml.sh

And find the result:

Spoiler

root@arm-64:~# ./install-aml.sh
Start script create MBR and filesystem
/dev/mmcblk2
Start backup u-boot default
4+0 records in
4+0 records out
4194304 bytes (4.2 MB, 4.0 MiB) copied, 0.10851 s, 38.7 MB/s
Start create MBR and partittion
Start restore u-boot
442+0 records in
442+0 records out
442 bytes copied, 0.00293262 s, 151 kB/s
8191+0 records in
8191+0 records out
4193792 bytes (4.2 MB, 4.0 MiB) copied, 0.431306 s, 9.7 MB/s
Done
Start copy system for eMMC.
Formatting BOOT partition...mkfs.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
done.
Cppying BOOT...done.
Edit init config...done.
Formatting ROOT partition...
e2fsck 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
ROOT_EMMC: clean, 11/1835008 files, 159229/7337728 blocks
done.
Copying ROOTFS.
Copy BIN
Create DEV
Copy ETC
Copy HOME
Copy LIB
Create MEDIA
Create MNT
Copy OPT
Create PROC
Copy ROOT
Create RUN
Copy SBIN
Copy SELINUX
Copy SRV
Create SYS
Create TMP
Copy USR
Copy VAR
Copy fstab
Complete copy OS to eMMC
root@arm-64:~# root@arm-64:~# ./install-aml.sh
Start copy system for eMMC.
Formatting BOOT partition...mkfs.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
done.
Cppying BOOT...done.
Edit init config...done.
Formatting ROOT partition...
e2fsck 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
ROOT_EMMC: clean, 11/1835008 files, 159229/7337728 blocks
done.
Copying ROOTFS.
Copy BIN
Create DEV
Copy ETC
Copy HOME
Copy LIB
Create MEDIA
Create MNT
Copy OPT
Create PROC
Copy ROOT
Create RUN
Copy SBIN
Copy SELINUX
Copy SRV
Create SYS
Create TMP
Copy USR
Copy VAR
Copy fstab
Complete copy OS to eMMC
root@arm-64:~#

But to copy this report from PuTTY, I have selected the text and done a right-clic (wrong idea) because This is execute a kind of script:

Spoiler

Complete copy OS to eMMC
root@arm-64:~#
root@arm-64:~#: command not found
root@arm-64:~# Start script create MBR and filesystem

Command 'Start' not found, did you mean:

command 'tart' from deb tart

Try: apt install <deb name>

root@arm-64:~# /dev/mmcblk2
bash: /dev/mmcblk2: Permission denied
root@arm-64:~# Start backup u-boot default

root@arm-64:~# 4+0 records in
4+0: command not found
root@arm-64:~# 4+0 records out
4+0: command not found
root@arm-64:~# 4194304 bytes (4.2 MB, 4.0 MiB) copied, 0.10851 s, 38.7 MB/s
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
root@arm-64:~# Start create MBR and partittion

root@arm-64:~# Start restore u-boot

root@arm-64:~# 442+0 records in
442+0: command not found
root@arm-64:~# 442+0 records out
442+0: command not found
root@arm-64:~# 442 bytes copied, 0.00293262 s, 151 kB/s
442: command not found
root@arm-64:~# 8191+0 records in
8191+0: command not found
root@arm-64:~# 8191+0 records out
8191+0: command not found
root@arm-64:~# 4193792 bytes (4.2 MB, 4.0 MiB) copied, 0.431306 s, 9.7 MB/s
root@arm-64:~# Done

Command 'Done' not found, did you mean:

command 'one' from deb opennebula

root@arm-64:~# Start copy system for eMMC.

root@arm-64:~# Formatting BOOT partition...mkfs.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
root@arm-64:~# done.
^[done.: command not found
root@arm-64:~# Cppying BOOT...done.
Cppying: command not found
root@arm-64:~# Edit init config...done.

Command 'Edit' not found, did you mean:

command 'edit' from deb mime-support

root@arm-64:~# Formatting ROOT partition...
Formatting: command not found
root@arm-64:~# e2fsck 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
root@arm-64:~# ROOT_EMMC: clean, 11/1835008 files, 159229/7337728 blocks
ROOT_EMMC:: command not found
root@arm-64:~# done.
done.: command not found
root@arm-64:~# Copying ROOTFS.
Copying: command not found
root@arm-64:~# Copy BIN

Command 'Copy' not found, did you mean:

command 'ropy' from deb libdisorder-tools

root@arm-64:~# Create DEV
Create: command not found
root@arm-64:~# Copy ETC

root@arm-64:~# Copy HOME

root@arm-64:~# Copy LIB

root@arm-64:~# Create MEDIA
root@arm-64:~# Create MNT
root@arm-64:~# Copy OPT

root@arm-64:~# Create PROC
root@arm-64:~# Copy ROOT

root@arm-64:~# Create RUN
root@arm-64:~# Copy SBIN

root@arm-64:~# Copy SELINUX

root@arm-64:~# Copy SRV

root@arm-64:~# Create SYS
root@arm-64:~# Create TMP
root@arm-64:~# Copy USR

root@arm-64:~# Copy VAR

root@arm-64:~# Copy fstab

root@arm-64:~# *******************************************
fstab: command not found
root@arm-64:~# Complete copy OS to eMMC
Complete: command not found
root@arm-64:~# *******************************************
^C

By chance, without incidence because I have shutdown the system and re-start without the SD card and the system boots successfully with Armbian inside !

Ethernet was not functionnal because the speed parameter was again 1000Mb. So, same command:

sudo ethtool –s [device_name] speed 100 duplex full autoneg on

Don't forget to disconnect and reconnect the cable after this command !

Edited by Armin

4 hours ago, Armin said:

Force the Ethernet speed to 100Mb

Have you tried all of the dtb files to see if any of them support your ethernet setup without needing to make manual changes?  From above it looks like you are using: meson-g12a-x96-max-no-cvbs.dtb.  I would suggest you try meson-g12a-x96-max-rmii.dtb which is a 100Mb ethernet version of the meson-g112a-x96-max.dtb file.

Good to see that you have made overall progress today on your box.

1 hour ago, SteeMan said:

Have you tried all of the dtb files to see if any of them support your ethernet setup without needing to make manual changes?  From above it looks like you are using: meson-g12a-x96-max-no-cvbs.dtb.  I would suggest you try meson-g12a-x96-max-rmii.dtb which is a 100Mb ethernet version of the meson-g112a-x96-max.dtb file.

Good to see that you have made overall progress today on your box.

To be honest, when I read your comment, I was not "hot" to follow your recommendations because I suppose that I make the manual change only 1x and this is fix definitively.

But, I have tried to install a French domotic server (Jeedom) but I have some troubles with ethernet connection:

Spoiler

After this operation, 6,481 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ports.ubuntu.com bionic/main arm64 libapr1 arm64 1.6.3-2 [75.8 kB]
Get:2 http://ports.ubuntu.com bionic/main arm64 libaprutil1 arm64 1.6.1-2 [74.7 kB]
Get:3 http://ports.ubuntu.com bionic/main arm64 libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3 arm64 1.6.1-2 [9,836 B]
Err:4 http://ports.ubuntu.com bionic/main arm64 libaprutil1-ldap arm64 1.6.1-2
  Cannot initiate the connection to ports.ubuntu.com:80 (2001:67c:1360:8001::22). - connect (101: Network is unreachable) Could not connect to ports.ubuntu.com:80 (91.189.88.150), connection timed out [IP: 91.189.88.150 80]

Therefore, I will try your suggestion:  meson-g12a-x96-max-rmii.dtb

After booting on SD card:

- How can I test deeply the ethernet connection (before to transfer the installtion on the eMMC) ?

- When this is OK, Can I make directly the installation on the eMMC over the previous one ?

Edited by Armin

4 minutes ago, Armin said:

Therefore, I will try your suggestion:  meson-g12a-x96-max-rmii.dtb

After booting on SD card:

- How can I test deeply the ethernet connection (before to transfer the installtion on the eMMC) ?

- When this is OK, Can I make directly the installation on the eMMC over the previous one ?

Actually my original suggestion a few posts ago was to try all of the g12/sm1 dtbs and find the one that works best for your hardware.

To test the different DTBs, you will need to use the working sd card you have from earlier.  Edit the uEnv.txt file and try rebooting with that sd card using the different dtb.  When you find the dtb file that works best for you, you can either reinstall that entire environment to emmc by using the install-aml.sh script (but doing so will overwrite everything you have on emmc), or while running from the sd card, mount the /boot partition on the emmc and edit the uEnv.txt file on the emmc directly.

The command you are using to set the network speed (ethtool -s) does not persistently make that change, so you will need to do that after every reboot.  I'm sure you could google and find a way to make that change persistent, but if you can get it working without manual changes it would be better for you.

52 minutes ago, SteeMan said:

To test the different DTBs, you will need to use the working sd card you have from earlier. 

I have tried:

-  meson-g12a-x96-max-rmii.dtb ==> Boot OK but Ethernet NOK (cannot get device settings from ethtool eth0 command)

- meson-g12b-ugoos-am6-no-cvbs.dtb ==> Boot NOK (stays on green screen)
- meson-g12b-odroid-n2.dtb ==> Boot NOK (stays on green screen)

- meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb (from Ciprian28) ==> Boot OK and Ethernet OK (already fixed at 100Mb)

Now, How Can I test deeper the ethernet connection ?

Edited by Armin

I bought a X96 Air the other day, and installed Armbian on it using meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb. Ethernet works, and it runs fine (I haven't tested HDMI audio because I'm using it as a headless server), however WiFi/BT does not.

From browsing this and other threads, I gathered that these boxes may have different WiFi chips, and to get it working requires identifying the chip used, and then finding the proper drivers for it (forgive my layman's vocabulary here)… and that this involves the dtb files.

How do I find out what chip my box uses? Do I need to open it up and simply look for the component? Trial and error by testing a few likely candidates for this particular model?

14 hours ago, P.P.A. said:

I bought a X96 Air the other day, and installed Armbian on it using meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb. Ethernet works, and it runs fine (I haven't tested HDMI audio because I'm using it as a headless server), however WiFi/BT does not.

From browsing this and other threads, I gathered that these boxes may have different WiFi chips, and to get it working requires identifying the chip used, and then finding the proper drivers for it (forgive my layman's vocabulary here)… and that this involves the dtb files.

How do I find out what chip my box uses? Do I need to open it up and simply look for the component? Trial and error by testing a few likely candidates for this particular model?

I think you will be able to find the wireless chipset with this command:

armbianmonitor -u

Into my report, I suppose that the wireless ( + Bluetooth = combo) chipset is rtl8822cs

Edited by Armin

On 5/19/2020 at 7:56 PM, Armin said:

meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb (from Ciprian28) ==> Boot OK and Ethernet OK (already fixed at 100Mb)

Hello,

I have done a new installation with Buster (Armbian_20.05.4_Arm-64_buster_current_5.7.0-rc6_20200519.img with meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb) because for my domotic system (Jeedom), buster is recommanded.

Now, this is OK but I need to know if I must update regulary my "Buster system" ?

If Yes, the dedicated command is:

sudo apt-get --allow-releaseinfo-change update

41 minutes ago, Armin said:

Now, this is OK but I need to know if I must update regulary my "Buster system" ?

If your question is must you update, the answer is no.  However, I wouldn't understand why you would not want to update.  One of the reasons to adopt Armbian is because it should provide you with regular security updates and critical bug fixes, like any regular linux distribution on an x86 platform. Armbian isn't just a static firmware that gets something running on a box/sbc but a more mainstream linux experience with updates.  Anyone who runs systems (especially exposed to the public internet) should in my opinion be concerned with security updates and fixes as a priority.

Now having said that, the base ubuntu or debian will get you security updates and fixes for the majority of the system, however linux kernel updates will come from Armbian.  While support for those kernel updates for Balbes TV box builds has improved significantly over the last few months, there may still be an occasional issue.

On 5/26/2020 at 2:29 PM, SteeMan said:

If your question is must you update, the answer is no.  However, I wouldn't understand why you would not want to update.  One of the reasons to adopt Armbian is because it should provide you with regular security updates and critical bug fixes, like any regular linux distribution on an x86 platform. Armbian isn't just a static firmware that gets something running on a box/sbc but a more mainstream linux experience with updates.  Anyone who runs systems (especially exposed to the public internet) should in my opinion be concerned with security updates and fixes as a priority.

Now having said that, the base ubuntu or debian will get you security updates and fixes for the majority of the system, however linux kernel updates will come from Armbian.  While support for those kernel updates for Balbes TV box builds has improved significantly over the last few months, there may still be an occasional issue.

So, with armbian-config command, "enable armbian upgrades" is enough to have  a system up to date ?

Edited by Armin

I went into armbian-config and changed from nigthly to stable without knowing what I was doing. After rebooting, I got an error, and now my X96 Air won't boot again with that SD card (never installed to eMMC).

Is there a way to fix this, or do I have to re-install everything?

I didn't make backups (lesson learned), is it possible to restore my settings and everything by just copying all the files from my old SD to my PC, re-flashing the SD card, and then moving certain folders back to it after setting up a new install?

On 5/28/2020 at 8:37 PM, Иван Чеботарёв said:

Hi. Does anyone have transpeed x3 pro and did they manage to start armbian. If so, how?

Try following this tutorial:

If you want to boot from microSD basically you need to 1) burn desired image on the card (I suggest using Etcher) 2) Edit uEnv.txt for Amlogic and link DTB file (finding correct one requires a bit of try and error,  I'm no expert but maybe start with meson-sm1-sei610.dtb) 3) Boot using toothpick method.  Good luck!

On 5/28/2020 at 7:37 PM, Иван Чеботарёв said:

Hi. Does anyone have transpeed x3 pro and did they manage to start armbian. If so, how?

I was able to boot with meson-sm1-sei610.dtb and another x96 but the it detected only 2gb, instead of 4gb,  so I quit to install on emmc.

On 2/8/2020 at 10:24 PM, srx said:

I've spent hours today playing with dtb parameters and whatnot.

So far nothing.

Yes, Android dtb and dtb in this image are different. But I can not just copy-paste it. It is all related and pretty difficult to understand.

In A95X F3 Air (S905x3/4GB/32GB) still no luck.

I have no time to do more research at the moment. Maybe I'll try again next weekend.

Hi SRX,

were you able to get Armbian working on A95X F3?

Could you share the dtb and edits if any required file and sd card image file?

I tried Armbian_20.02.0-rc1.038_Aml-s9xxx_eoan_current_5.5.0-rc6_desktop_20200205.img  with meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb

I get some colured screen and rootfs mount fails.

Same SD card with same image working fine on Mecool K3 pro S912 box with different dtb and wifi only works with external USB adapter  :)

2 hours ago, Yeoj Henrie Sayadi said:

Hello! I have X88PRO-S905X3-D4-V1.0. I used meson-sm1-sei610.dtb and the ethernet does not work. I tried using the eth fix dtb and tried making a script that makes the auto negotiation off on startup and the ethernet still does not work. Please help

I was facing to the same Ethernet issue with meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb and the problem has been solved when I have copied file u-boot.sd to u-boot.ext on the SD card.

I don't understand the reason because I was thinking that you need to add the "u-boot.ext" file if the system doesn't want to boot or color issue but not for an ethernet issue.

Maybe @balbes150 can confirm the relation between this missing file and some others issues.

Edited by Armin

3 hours ago, Armin said:

I was facing to the same Ethernet issue with meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb and the problem has been solved when I have copied file u-boot.sd to u-boot.ext on the SD card.

I don't understand the reason because I was thinking that you need to add the "u-boot.ext" file if the system doesn't want to boot or color issue but not for an ethernet issue.

What kind of meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb have you used? I am struggling the same issue, but if I rename the u-boot.sd, the box is stuck in boot loop (reboots every 2 seconds).

Edited by Teddybee

4 hours ago, Teddybee said:

What kind of meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb have you used? I am struggling the same issue, but if I rename the u-boot.sd, the box is stuck in boot loop (reboots every 2 seconds).

This one from Ciprian28: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12988-armbian-for-amlogic-s905x3/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-97143

Don't forget to declare it into uEnv.txt

Spoiler

LINUX=/zImage
INITRD=/uInitrd

# rk-3399
#FDT=/dtb/rockchip/rk3399-rock-pi-4.dtb
#FDT=/dtb/rockchip/rk3399-nanopc-t4.dtb
#APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff1a0000 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

# rk-3328
#FDT=/dtb/rockchip/rk3328-box-trn9.dtb
#FDT=/dtb/rockchip/rk3328-box.dtb
#APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

# aw h6
#FDT=/dtb/allwinner/sun50i-h6-tanix-tx6.dtb
#APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0
#APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 mem=2048M video=HDMI-A-1:e

# aml s9xxx
FDT=/dtb/amlogic/meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb
#FDT=/dtb/amlogic/meson-g12b-ugoos-am6-no-cvbs.dtb
#FDT=/dtb/amlogic/meson-g12b-odroid-n2.dtb
APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

You shouldn't rename u-boot.sd but copy it before and after rename this copie to u-boot.ext

That means on the SD card, you have the u-boot.sd file and the u-boot.ext file 

Edited by Armin

10 minutes ago, Armin said:

You shouldn't rename u-boot.sd but copy it before and after rename this copie to u-boot.ext

That means on the SD card, you have the u-boot.sd file and the u-boot.ext file 

Thanks. I did it that way as well. It is not working on my box, but if I plug the sd card  with reader in the usb, and copy the u-boot.usb to .ext, it was working. At least the colours are fixed, but the ethernet still bad.
Have you done anything else with the ethernet? I have tried the 

, without luck.

Edited by Teddybee

28 minutes ago, Teddybee said:

Thanks. I did it that way as well. It is not working on my box, but if I plug the sd card  with reader in the usb, and copy the u-boot.usb to .ext, it was working. At least the colours are fixed, but the ethernet still bad.
Have you done anything else with the ethernet? I have tried the 

, without luck.

Sorry to read that.

With meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb, the speed is already fixed to 100Mb. This is why your command with ethtool didn't change the issue. You can check the parameters with ifconfig.

No, I didn't change any parameter with meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb.

No other way to check with each DTB file into Amlogic folder !

Edited by Armin

15 hours ago, Armin said:

Maybe @balbes150 can confirm the relation between this missing file and some others issues.

I made a copy of u-boot.sd and renamed it to u-boot.ext and now it is stuck in a boot loop. I tried doing it on a usb but using u-boot.usb instead of u-boot.sd and it only boots to android. Are there any way I can make ethernet working because I don't have a keyboard to log in or type in commands. Maybe make a script that does "sudo ethtool –s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg on" but I don't know how to do it by adding a file or using a pc

14 hours ago, Yeoj Henrie said:

I made a copy of u-boot.sd and renamed it to u-boot.ext and now it is stuck in a boot loop. I tried doing it on a usb but using u-boot.usb instead of u-boot.sd and it only boots to android. Are there any way I can make ethernet working because I don't have a keyboard to log in or type in commands. Maybe make a script that does "sudo ethtool –s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg on" but I don't know how to do it by adding a file or using a pc

Ok, that means for your box, forget the way of the file boot.ext or boot.usb.

If you have tried without success the DTB file with ethernet fix (meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb), then the command "sudo ethtool –s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg on" doesn't help you because these value are the same than meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb.

I think you need to know the name of your Ethernet chipset to find the right drivers of it. Without keyboard, you can check directly on the PCB of the box or with a keyboard, you make this command "armbianmonitor -u" and check into the created report (example: http://ix.io/2oEe).

Edited by Armin

On 6/8/2020 at 1:57 PM, Armin said:

Ok, that means for your box, forget the way of the file boot.ext or boot.usb.

If you have tried without success the DTB file with ethernet fix (meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb), then the command "sudo ethtool –s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg on" doesn't help you because these value are the same than meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb.

I think you need to know the name of your Ethernet chipset to find the right drivers of it. Without keyboard, you can check directly on the PCB of the box or with a keyboard, you make this command "armbianmonitor -u" and check into the created report (example: http://ix.io/2oEe).

I see PSF-2447 next to the ethernet port then it connects to RTL8211F. How do I find and install the drivers for it? It has the same board as the image in page 3 X88PRO-S905X3-D4-V1.0

Edited by Yeoj Henrie
needed to add what board it is

8 hours ago, Yeoj Henrie said:

I see PSF-2447 next to the ethernet port then it connects to RTL8211F. How do I find and install the drivers for it? It has the same board as the image in page 3 X88PRO-S905X3-D4-V1.0

Beelink GT1 has the same PSF-2447 (ethernet?) chip.

PS: There are just some coil in it, doesn't matter for OS.

Odroid C2 has the same ethernet. So it should be working in armbian.

Edited by Teddybee

I bought X96Air S905X3 but only 2 Gb Ram and Ethernet is 100Mbs speed. Successful installed Armbian bionic with meson-sm1-sei610.dtb and also installed AdGuardHome to it. LAN & Wifi works well. No problem with color & resolution except Bluetooth does not working.

There is a small issue that I can not boot from SD card (Message: “Error -84 whilst initialising SD card” while booting). So I have to boot from USB.

Can anyone advise me how to boot from SD card? Or do I need to buy a new SD card?

(The function of card slot is normal in Android mode)

Thank you.