1 1
Sergey2k

Armbian for Amlogic S905X3

On 2/13/2020 at 11:26 PM, keynight said:

Can you check with this  dtd files

I tested the dtb you provided, but no working ethernet, even if eth0 appears in ifconfig, but not able to get a dhcp address nor ping with a static ip.

For those that have not found a working dtb yet, you might want to give this method of extracting dtb and dts files a shot (hardware keyboard recommended or setup sshd via termux). Install termux. Open it and type:

termux-setup-storage
apt update
apt install dtc
dtc -q -I fs -O dts /sys/firmware/devicetree/base -o /sdcard/mytvbox.dts
dtc -q -I fs -O dtb /sys/firmware/devicetree/base -o /sdcard/mytvbox.dtb

I am unable to test this method presently due to other issues but I am dying to know if it works. The files generated are larger than the dtb files in the armbian images but they are similar size to the dtb files from coreelec. If the dtb file doesn't work, at least the dts file might give some clues as to why alternative dtb files have wifi or ethernet issues etc. You can also convert other dtb to dts and vice versa so you can open the dts files in a text editor and compare.

To convert dtb to dts.

dtc -O dts -o tvbox.dts tvbox.dtb

To convert dts to dtb.

dtc -O dtb -o mytvbox.dtb mybox.dts

15 hours ago, 5p0ng3b0b said:

For those that have not found a working dtb yet, you might want to give this method of extracting dtb and dts files a shot (hardware keyboard recommended or setup sshd via termux). Install termux. Open it and type:

termux-setup-storage
apt update
apt install dtc
dtc -q -I fs -O dts /sys/firmware/devicetree/base -o /sdcard/mytvbox.dts
dtc -q -I fs -O dtb /sys/firmware/devicetree/base -o /sdcard/mytvbox.dtb

I am unable to test this method presently due to other issues but I am dying to know if it works. The files generated are larger than the dtb files in the armbian images but they are similar size to the dtb files from coreelec. If the dtb file doesn't work, at least the dts file might give some clues as to why alternative dtb files have wifi or ethernet issues etc. You can also convert other dtb to dts and vice versa so you can open the dts files in a text editor and compare.

To convert dtb to dts.

dtc -O dts -o tvbox.dts tvbox.dtb

To convert dts to dtb.

dtc -O dtb -o mytvbox.dtb mybox.dts

Cool, my dump :

sm1_ac213_4g_TranSpeed.dtb

17 hours ago, 5p0ng3b0b said:

To convert dtb to dts.

To convert dts to dtb.

How do I dump a bootloader?

On 2/9/2020 at 11:42 PM, Povl H. Pedersen said:

H96 Max box here, S905X4, 4GB RAM, 128 (116?) GB eMMC.

Boot fine from SD card. used DTB found page 7 this thread.

Ran ./install-aml.sh - everything looks fine.

But, it ill not find anything to boot when I reboot / power cycle. After the flash it will not clean boot the SD card either. Only solution is pressing the reset button in the AV jack.

Any help to get it to boot from internal eMMC please. I do see the 4+0 records in/out, indicating boot sector is written. But it just gives me the spinning logo to show it is loading or looking for something. I even tried to make the eMMC FAT partition bootable in disk.

Just for info, my built-in eMMC is mmcblk2 while installing. Not sure if the numbering changes anything ?
root@arm:~# lsblk
NAME         MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT

mmcblk1      179:0    0  29.8G  0 disk
├─mmcblk1p1  179:1    0   256M  0 part /boot
└─mmcblk1p2  179:2    0  29.3G  0 part /
mmcblk2      179:32   0 116.5G  0 disk
├─mmcblk2p1  179:33   0   244M  0 part
└─mmcblk2p2  179:34   0 115.6G  0 part
mmcblk2boot0 179:64   0     4M  1 disk
mmcblk2boot1 179:96   0     4M  1 disk
zram0        254:0    0    50M  0 disk /var/log
zram1        254:1    0     1G  0 disk [SWAP]

Hello. I'm new to this forum, new to armbian but I just know a little Ubuntu.

For a few days, I bought a H96 Max X3 to go further in Linux.

The main problem I encounter with this box is that it does not detect Wi-Fi connections under armbian.  It's been more than 5 days that I try all the possibilities to make wifi work but without result.  

And now it's even worse. Here I just made a mistake: I ran './install-aml.sh' without having taken the necessary precautions, nor installed TWRP. And therefore the result which I did not expect: I lost Android. From now, My H96 Max X3 starts on the image 'Armbian_20.02.0-rc1.037_Aml-s9xxx_bionic_current_5.5.0-rc6_desktop_20200205.img' even if i don't put the memory card in the box. However, I wanted to keep both systems in the box.

Please Can you tell me how to recover Android Without going through TWRP and where to look for android image to install in this TV Box you know well.

Thank you for in advance for your precious help.

3 minutes ago, medmouncef said:

Please Can you tell me how to recover Android Without going through TWRP and where to look for android image to install in this TV Box you know well.

Your Android image is gone, you've installed Armbian to the eMMC. Do a google search "H96 Max Android download"
You can always try using a cheap usb wifi dongle if on-board wifi doesn't work.

39 minutes ago, medmouncef said:

Please Can you tell me how to recover Android

You may have to use Amlogic USB Burning Tool to burn a compatible firmware from a windows computer. Try to ask your vendor for a img file to download.

NicoD and Jeanrhum, Thank you for your replies.

h96tvbox.com already contacted but no response so far. Their last update of the firmware list dates back to July. Weird!

Sorry, I'm going to be more direct. Has a member of this forum owner of a H96 Max X3 tv box, already made a backup of the stock ROM?
Please Can you make the link available to me so that I can download the stock ROM backup ?
Thanks for your help

@keynote. Shame the dtb not working :(. Probably need some python/perl script to parse the dts file

Not all boxes are equal, Is there a bootloader partition? This should list all emmc partitions

ls $(find /dev/block/platform/ -name "by-name")

su
dd if=$(find /dev/block/platform/ -name "by-name")/bootloader of=/sdcard/bootloader.img

Or try TWRP backup function. Apply zip file using update app or from recovery mode (this will not overwrite your stock recovery).

TWRP_3.2.2_Android_9.0.zip

Get DTB file from recovery.PARTITION file.

Here is a second take a getting DTB file as extracting via /sys/firmware/devicetree/base using dtc didn't appear to work :(.

This time get DTB from recovery.PARTITION file using termux. Firstly on a PC, download and unzip stock tvbox image.

Then unpack firmware.img file with amlogic unpacker. Now transfer the recovery.PARTITION file to termux home folder.

The DTB file is embedded in this file so now just extract it. I already installed git, python, perl and wget etc to termux.

Spoiler

#Install binwalk
git clone https://github.com/ReFirmLabs/binwalk.git
cd binwalk
python setup.py install
cd ..; rm -Rf binwalk
#Get split_bootimg.pl script
wget https://gist.githubusercontent.com/jberkel/1087743/raw/45046f87176dfacdc22af4290f89a0d2e0df1dbb/split_bootimg.pl
chmod +x split_bootimg.pl
#Split recovery.PARTITION
./split_bootimg.pl recovery.PARTITION
#Unpack recovery.PARTITION-second.gz
gunzip recovery.PARTITION-second.gz
#Get offset of embedded DTB in recovery.PARTITION-second
DTBOFFSET=$(binwalk -R "\xD0\x0D\xFE\xED" recovery.PARTITION-second | awk 'NR > 3 { print $1}' | head -n 1)
#Get length of DTB in recovery.PARTITION-second
DTBLEN=$((16#$(dd if=recovery.PARTITION-second bs=1 skip=$(($DTBOFFSET + 4)) count=4 status=none | od -tx1 | head -n 1 | cut -d ' ' -f 2- | sed 's/ //g' )))
#Now extract and create dtb file
dd if=recovery.PARTITION-second of=mybox.dtb bs=1 skip=$DTBOFFSET count=$DTBLEN

The resulting file was 76,302 bytes in my case from a magicsee N5 plus box. I still can't test yet because I haven't got it to boot from external storage but can confirm the dtc command worked on it.

dtc -I dtb -O dts -o mybox.dts mybox.dtb

Update:

This also worked from a recovery image file created by dd if=/dev/block/recovery of=recovery.PARTITION so this can be done completely from rooted device and without access to stock firmware. Produced an identicle DTB.

n5plus.dtb n5plus.dts

Hello,
I'm looking for .dtb for x96max s905X3
I tried all the .dtb of the image, I also tried the .dtb ethfix of this post, some starts but no ethernet.