RockPi4B - No audio from 3.5mm Jack

Yannick Adam

Hi!

Unless mistaken, I believe audio is missing from 3.5mm jack on the RockPi4b. To enable it, I had:

- To update the dts by adding definitions close to the RockPro64 (some available starting in mainline 5.6)

- Change them to use I2S0 instead of I2S1

- Enable audio-graph-card in kernel config (I also removed some audio modules which issued warnings/errors during boot)

- Patch es8316.c to prevent a kernel panic during boot (found in Ayufan's latest mainline kernel for RockPro64)

yannick@rockpi-4b:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: rockchiprk3399 [rockchip,rk3399], device 0: ff880000.i2s-ES8316 HiFi ES8316 HiFi-0 [ff880000.i2s-ES8316 HiFi ES8316 HiFi-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: hdmisound [hdmi-sound], device 0: ff8a0000.i2s-i2s-hifi i2s-hifi-0 [ff8a0000.i2s-i2s-hifi i2s-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

And finally, activate the proper DACs with amixer:

amixer set 'Right Headphone Mixer Right DAC' on
amixer set 'Left Headphone Mixer Left DAC' on

Would you like a PR for this?

Cheers, and thanks for your work on Armbian!

10 hours ago, Yannick Adam said:

audio is missing from 3.5mm jack

As the RPi had very bad press about the 'noise' on that output and on Laptops it is also recommended to use USB over 3,5mm. Did you listen with headphones very quietly to catch some 'noise' if any on this output?

On 4/12/2020 at 1:06 AM, Yannick Adam said:

amixer set 'Right Headphone Mixer Right DAC' on

amixer set 'Left Headphone Mixer Left DAC' on

I added everything you used to DTS a long time ago, but the sound didn't work for me (due to the lack of settings for alsa), I thought my DTS settings weren't correct. I'm wondering how you found (defined) these parameters ? 

On 4/24/2020 at 12:36 AM, balbes150 said:

I added everything you used to DTS a long time ago, but the sound didn't work for me (due to the lack of settings for alsa), I thought my DTS settings weren't correct. I'm wondering how you found (defined) these parameters ? 

I guess he found it here: https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf/blob/master/ucm2/codecs/es8316/EnableSeq.conf#L16