1 1
nikolatesluh

NanoPi Neo Plus2 479mb Ram available out of 1GB

Recommended Posts

Armbianmonitor:

Hello, I have a NanoPi Neo Plus 2 I used to run Ubuntu Core on it but i wanted to switch out as i had less storage space available 4.7gb out of 8 and other issues as it was also out of date. I installed Armbian first on SD then on eMMC but the problem i am facing is that only 479mb of ram is available. Now in the first post on this board by Stanislav Sinyagin on July 18, 2017 it was stated that only 512 mb of ram was available but later on i saw posts of people with the whole 1Gb of ram being used. Due to the limited ram i get compilation problems among other things i am using this board headless as a server. i flashed all versions for download multiple times along with trying to compile a new 4.14 kernel like mention in the arch wiki but it just wouldn't boot. I have spent a few days trying to figure it out. It would be really helpful if someone could point me in the right direction.

 

Thank You

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nikolatesluh said:

trying to compile

 

I don't have this board around and its officially not supported (like all ArchLinux builds), I can't verify, but perhaps someone can add their findings.

 

Did you try using our build tools?
https://github.com/armbian/build

 

1 hour ago, nikolatesluh said:

but the problem i am facing is that only 479mb of ram is available.


Attach a serial console and tell me how much memory is recognised by boot loader. Probably the problem is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 12:22 AM, Igor said:

Attach a serial console and tell me how much memory is recognised by boot loader. Probably the problem is there.

 

The problem has to be in the u-boot configuration in use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sfx2000 said:

The problem has to be in the u-boot configuration in use.

 

@nikolatesluh. I agree with sfx2000 - can you capture the u-boot process from the serial console and provide it on this thread?

 

Did it show this problem under Ubuntu Core?

 

I've never seen this happen on any of my NEO Plus2s.  I just updated to a latest top-of-tree build, and it still shows 1GB RAM, e.g.,

[    0.000000] Inode-cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 7, 524288 bytes, linear)
[    0.000000] mem auto-init: stack:off, heap alloc:off, heap free:off
[    0.000000] Memory: 872848K/1048576K available (10942K kernel code, 728K rwdata, 2812K rodata, 768K init, 292K bss, 44656K reserved, 131072K cma-reserved)
[    0.000000] SLUB: HWalign=64, Order=0-3, MinObjects=0, CPUs=4, Nodes=1
[    0.000000] rcu: Hierarchical RCU implementation.
                             ...


              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:        1013188      109144      786436        2980      117608      829460
Swap:        506592           0      506592

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 5kft said:

 

@nikolatesluh. I agree with sfx2000 - can you capture the u-boot process from the serial console and provide it on this thread?

 

Did it show this problem under Ubuntu Core?

 

I've never seen this happen on any of my NEO Plus2s.  I just updated to a latest top-of-tree build, and it still shows 1GB RAM, e.g.,


[    0.000000] Inode-cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 7, 524288 bytes, linear)
[    0.000000] mem auto-init: stack:off, heap alloc:off, heap free:off
[    0.000000] Memory: 872848K/1048576K available (10942K kernel code, 728K rwdata, 2812K rodata, 768K init, 292K bss, 44656K reserved, 131072K cma-reserved)
[    0.000000] SLUB: HWalign=64, Order=0-3, MinObjects=0, CPUs=4, Nodes=1
[    0.000000] rcu: Hierarchical RCU implementation.
                             ...


              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:        1013188      109144      786436        2980      117608      829460
Swap:        506592           0      506592

@sfx2000@5kft@Igor Thank You So much for prompt replies. yes the same behaviour has been exhibited under the default friendly core with 4.14 kernel. is there any resource i can follow to capture the complete u-boot process? i have an arduino and have used it earlier to access serial console to program an esp8266 so i guess the process will be similar? if it makes a difference armbian is currently residing on the inbuilt eMMc but the behaviour was same while booting from a SD Card. i flashed friendlyelec xenial on SD card and got the same response. Link of imgur with both screenshots. Thank You so much for help

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nikolatesluh said:

Thank You So much for prompt replies. yes the same behaviour has been exhibited under the default friendly core with 4.14 kernel. is there any resource i can follow to capture the complete u-boot process? i have an arduino and have used it earlier to access serial console to program an esp8266 so i guess the process will be similar? if it makes a difference armbian is currently residing on the inbuilt eMMc but the behaviour was same while booting from a SD Card. i flashed friendlyelec xenial on SD card and got the same response.

 

Given that all of these platforms are showing the same issue, it seems likely that you may have a hardware issue with the board...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2020 at 9:01 AM, 5kft said:

 

Given that all of these platforms are showing the same issue, it seems likely that you may have a hardware issue with the board...?

Is there any way i could check it out? is there any kind of basic bootloader on the device that can be edited ? or does the device boot completely off the SD like a raspberryPi when an SD is inserted ?

 

Thank You

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, nikolatesluh said:

or does the device boot completely off the SD


Here you can observe how boot process works, for Allwinner and Rockchip
https://linux-sunxi.org/BROM

http://opensource.rock-chips.com/wiki_Boot_option

 

The process: you edit boot loader sources / configs, recompile, write to SD card and test ...
What to change - add/change to CONFIG_NR_DRAM_BANKS=2 in the boot loader config. Its just a hunch, not sure if this is the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2020 at 12:10 PM, Igor said:


Here you can observe how boot process works, for Allwinner and Rockchip
https://linux-sunxi.org/BROM

http://opensource.rock-chips.com/wiki_Boot_option

 

The process: you edit boot loader sources / configs, recompile, write to SD card and test ...
What to change - add/change to CONFIG_NR_DRAM_BANKS=2 in the boot loader config. Its just a hunch, not sure if this is the problem.

After spending sleepless night on this i have accepted that. Troubleshooting this is honestly above my paygrade. Ill just make do with 480mb of ram.

 

Thank You so much everyone on helping me out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
1 1