Nanopi M4V2 hangs (Solved)

Lennyz1988

1 hour ago, Lennyz1988 said:

Armbian buster with Linux 5.4.49-rockchip64 with heatsink from EMMC.

The legacy images are a lot more stable. I also often have crashes with mainline, and haven't figured out a reason why. Seems like multiple issue's to my guess.

On 8/14/2020 at 12:55 AM, wolf7250 said:

I don't own a NanoPi M4, but based on my reading of the different forums could the information (CPU governor and frequencies) in this thread help?

Thank you for the hint. I lowered the CPU to 1.8 ghz maximum. I'll try if it makes any difference.

On 8/13/2020 at 10:08 PM, NicoD said:

The legacy images are a lot more stable. I also often have crashes with mainline, and haven't figured out a reason why. Seems like multiple issue's to my guess.

Also thank you for the tip. I'll try the legacy kernel if lowering the CPU speed doesn't make any difference. Am I going to miss certain function if I would switch to the legacy kernel?

5 hours ago, Lennyz1988 said:

Also thank you for the tip. I'll try the legacy kernel if lowering the CPU speed doesn't make any difference. Am I going to miss certain function if I would switch to the legacy kernel?

There's no panfrost on legacy. But then again there's JMCC's media script for Bionic legacy.
I used to use the M4 at 2Ghz without any crashes on legacy kernel. I don't think that's the issue.
I've also tried lowering clock speeds but still had crashes with mainline. I was testing panfrost what makes things a bit more complicated.

sudo nano /etc/default/cpufrequtils 

ENABLE=true
MIN_SPEED=600000
MAX_SPEED=2016000
# performance i firefox preferences i 6 
# MAX_SPEED=1800000
#GOVERNOR=ondemand
GOVERNOR=performance

and firefox, Preferences, General, Performance, Use hardware acceleration when available, Content process limit 6

Screenshot_2020-08-17_12-28-22.png

Just want to let you guys know that my Nanopi M4V2 runs smooth, cold and hangfree with the latest version. I accidently installed a mainline kernel instead of legacy, but haven't been having any problems since. I can't seem to download this version from the website (there latest is 5.10.12), but you can install this kernel with armbian-config.

Armbian 21.02.2 Buster with Linux 5.10.16-rockchip64

Great work guys!

• Lennyz1988 changed the title to Nanopi M4V2 hangs (Solved)