Will not load from SD card

PaulofOz

I received my Pi Pc plus today which is strange because I thought I ordered the Pi pc. I downloaded the armbian Jessie desktop and used 7zip to extract it to the sd card. It will not load off the card. It would not load raspbian for the raspberry Pi. What it is doing is loading android whether the sd card is inserted or not. Can anyone offer suggestions to try?

OS downloaded from here: http://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-pc/

It has emmc

I can't even make some of the things work on android.??

I am not sure how you have done but the correct procedure is to unpack the .7z file and after that use an img-burning software like win32diskimager or dd in Linux to transfer the image to the SD-card. It is not enough to simply copy the image file to the SD-card.

slinde & martinayotte

Thanks for the advice. It worked.

I didn't realise win32diskimager could burn a RAW file, but it can :-) This has been like a 2 step process for OPI where as there was a single process for the Raspberry Pi3.

For the purpose of the exercise I just used the Orange Pi PC file and not the plus. It does seem the version numbers are the same?? I have wireless working and am currently upgrading as I type.

SCREEN RESOLUTION

With the wide screen TV I was using via HDMI port, it has options for screen ratio on the TV. I selected unscaled and it placed all the text on the screen because prior to this, the orangepi  login and password were off the screen. How do you know if you cant see it, right!

During the initial start I had the keyboard and mouse plugged into the OPi. This seemed to upset the process so I ended up unplugging them and then startup process was flawless. I then plugged in the keyboard to enter ID and Password.

Once again, thanks for the tip.

That's a good book Tido. Ta!

A book...

This kind of documentation is present since decades (see the changes). We simply (still) fail to point our users to the relevant portions of documentation since we seem not to be able to think like a newbie.

we seem not to be able to think like a newbie.

If you can modify your thinking you could grow this OS and SBC's. It is all new to me being a MS person. These computers are great. If I could do on this what I can do on a desktop I would get rid of the desktop simply for the space and low power consumption. My RPI is using an rtl sdr to feed data to 4 aviation servers 24/7. That's why I got the OPi to learn Linux.

So, how about a tutorial 'Pinned" on downloading a package from GITHUB via the command line, among other tid bits of newbie info :-)