How to submit DT change for Odroid XU4?

sgjava

I added a missing memory region from /dev/gpiomem and tested it.

gpiomem {
compatible = "samsung,exynos-gpiomem";
status = "okay";
reg = <0x13400000 0x1000 0x14010000 0x1000 0x03860000 0x1000>;
};

I didn't see where to make PR on github.

https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/patch/kernel

To create the patch itself easiest way is most likely to use CREATE_PATCHES argument with the build script. It will hold after the kernel sources is fully patched and gives you a chance to add the missing stuff into the dts. Once you release the hold a diff is created.

@WernerI'm not sure where to make changes. The DTS files are in:

./cache/sources/u-boot-odroidxu/odroidxu4-v2017.05/arch/arm/dts/exynos5422-odroidxu4.dts
./cache/sources/linux-odroidxu4/odroid-5.4.y/arch/arm/boot/dts/exynos5422-odroidxu4.dts

DTBs are in:

./cache/sources/u-boot-odroidxu/odroidxu4-v2017.05/arch/arm/dts/exynos5422-odroidxu4.dtb
./cache/sources/linux-odroidxu4/odroid-5.4.y/debian/tmp/usr/lib/linux-image-current-odroidxu4/exynos5422-odroidxu4.dtb
./cache/sources/linux-odroidxu4/odroid-5.4.y/debian/dtbtmp/boot/dtb-5.4.81-odroidxu4/exynos5422-odroidxu4.dtb
./cache/sources/linux-odroidxu4/odroid-5.4.y/arch/arm/boot/dts/exynos5422-odroidxu4.dtb

So if I were a gambling man  I'd change ./cache/sources/linux-odroidxu4/odroid-5.4.y/arch/arm/boot/dts/exynos5422-odroidxu4.dts before ./compile.sh CREATE_PATCHES="yes"?

Yeah, I see it prompts once you add the CREATE_PATCHES="yes" It prompts twice. The only problem is the dts files do not contain the gpiomem section for some reason, but the downloaded image does. I'll figure it out eventually. Then where to put the PR :)

5 minutes ago, sgjava said:

So I make change before kernel is built?

Yes. You start the build process as usual but with CREATE_PATCHES set. It will apply all patches to the kernel source and once it breaks simply open another terminal and go to cache/sources/linux-mainline/yoursource.... and edit the device tree for the board. When finished continue the building and the script will create a patch file from the diff it finds in the device tree file. It will also tell you where it put the patch.

5 minutes ago, sgjava said:

Or is dts part of uboot

U-Boot is a different story. The dtbs in /boot are used by the Linux kernel.

OK, almost there. Looks like I had to mod an include and it generated build/output/patch/kernel-odroidxu4-current.patch, but if I look at https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/patch/kernel/odroidxu4-current I see patches with what looks like kernel version suffixes. Should I rename this file. I'm at the last mile!

@IgorSo I'm thinking about documenting the steps since I didn't see a detailed description in the docs (maybe I missed it). Also, going to try to add pin descriptions for gpio device, so gpioinfo is fully populated. Is this info in the device tree as well?

31 minutes ago, sgjava said:

So I'm thinking about documenting the steps since I didn't see a detailed description in the docs (maybe I missed it).

No, you did not miss it.  It's "on my list" as well, however I mention this not to dissuade you but rather let you know the thought occurred to me as well.  As it's likely still fresh in your mind (and I am busy elsewhere) go ahead and have at it if you feel like it.

I can always add to / polish it up later (if that's even needed).

Cheers!

Better I think would be to commit directly to Armbian docs, I think.  That way takes a little setup, but once done makes it much easier to add little things here and there later on as you come across them.  Up to you though of course.