Nanopi M4 V2 images are not booting from SC card

What am I missing ?

Just flashed Armbian_20.11.7_Nanopim4v2_buster_legacy_4.4.213_desktop on a SD card and the NanoPi does not boot. I get a steady red led and no flashing green and nothing on the HDMI.

I don't get that problem when Flashing the eMMC...the problem is that I don't have that eMMC anymore and I am looking for a way to install Armbian on my NanoPi's NVMe SSD drive from the SD card.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Great stuff...thanks.

Here are my finding:

- SD card is a ScanDisk Extreme A1 and has been used without problem with Friendly Desktop Images...

- The image suggested by NicoD is working on the SC card...BUT it only boot if the HDMI cable is disconnected from my display... this is not a the case booting from eMMC card ?!

- This image (Armbian_20.11.7_Nanopim4v2_buster_legacy_4.4.213_desktop) still does not boot from the SC card;

Working with NicoD suggested image now. I have done the update & upgrade and used armbian-config utility to boot from the NVMe card. System have been transferred BUT for some reasons, it will not boot without the SD card present ?! Is there a way to not need the SD card ?

7 hours ago, Spirare said:

This image (Armbian_20.11.7_Nanopim4v2_buster_legacy_4.4.213_desktop) still does not boot from the SC card

Did you also test this image with HDMI unplugged? What display are you using BTW?

Can you test if this image boots? https://users.armbian.com/piter75/Armbian_21.02.0-trunk_Nanopim4v2_buster_legacy_4.4.213_minimal.img.xz

It is built from master but disables HDMI in u-boot as it still seems to cause troubles. It is not a desktop image but if it boots you can make it one with armbian-config.

7 hours ago, Spirare said:

to boot from the NVMe card. System have been transferred BUT for some reasons, it will not boot without the SD card present ?!

To boot with NVMe you need to load u-boot first but RK3399 can only load u-boot with SPI flash, eMMC or SD.

NanoPi M4V2 does not contain SPI flash so either eMMC or SD is needed to load u-boot.

1 hour ago, piter75 said:

Did you also test this image with HDMI unplugged? What display are you using BTW?

Can you test if this image boots? https://users.armbian.com/piter75/Armbian_21.02.0-trunk_Nanopim4v2_buster_legacy_4.4.213_minimal.img.xz

It is built from master but disables HDMI in u-boot as it still seems to cause troubles. It is not a desktop image but if it boots you can make it one with armbian-config.

Yes, I did test that image with HDMI unplugged (Armbian_20.11.7_Nanopim4v2_buster_legacy_4.4.213_desktop).

Display controller is R9514 (https://is.gd/p5DKfg) and was booting fine with image flashed on eMMC (Armbian_20.11.3_Nanopim4_bionic_legacy_4.4.213_desktop)...don't have the eMMC anymore.

The image you pointed me to does not boot at all from the SD card.

NicoD's image is the only one booting on SD card as long as the HDMI cable is disconnected.

1 hour ago, piter75 said:

To boot with NVMe you need to load u-boot first but RK3399 can only load u-boot with SPI flash, eMMC or SD.

NanoPi M4V2 does not contain SPI flash so either eMMC or SD is needed to load u-boot.

Thanks...I understand now.