Firefly Station P2 (rk3568) M2 (rk3566)

1 1

Donate and support the project!

Posted (edited)

Price: US$ 119.00 Promotion Price: US$ 65.00 . This lasted a few seconds then Price raised to 95.00.

Did anyone get that board for US$ 65.00?

Ouch, sorry. I realized it was for 2GB.

Edited by @lex
65 for 2GB

FWIW, I've ordered two StationPC-M2 (one for me and one for a friend). The devices look really awesome and perfectly match what I expect from a small fanless machine (i.e. sturdy metal enclosure and good I/O).

HOWEVER, as often with many rockchip SoC vendors, the images "provided" (i.e that you have to figure by yourself) by t-firefly fail to flash, and their crappy flashing tools can even segfault. There's a tool to turn these to SD images but the tool is only provided for windows instead of just explaining the layout and how to convert the image (I guess there are just some headers to be added or removed). And of course they do not provide bootable SD images for now, it wouldn't be fun.

Thus I guess that it will take quite some time before these devices get supported since for now they are sold as bricks that cannot even be flashed, and that once someone figures how to reach that point, there will be some effort to get away from this mess. For now I'm giving up, spending the whole afternoon on it drove me sufficiently crazy that I want to crush the device under a hammer!

I received samples of P2 and M2. the first impressions are very positive. I checked the launch of the official versions of Ubuntu 18.04 from Fyrefly. Everything starts and works from the SD card. The startup process is very simple, I downloaded the image, unpacked it, wrote it to the SD card, connected it to P2\M2, turned on the power and the system automatically updated the bootloader in eMMC, rebooted and the Ubuntu system automatically started from the SD card (the regular Station system in eMMC is saved and works if there is no SD card).

I really liked the mechanism for connecting SATA devices (SSD\HDD) to P2, it is very simple. I immediately connected a 240GB SSD drive. It was automatically detected and appeared in the system. WiFi antennas on P2 are full-fledged and large, they obviously did not save money here and will ensure proper operation.  :)

• balbes150 changed the title to Firefly Station P2 (rk3568) M2 (rk3566)
On 7/20/2021 at 2:00 AM, wtarreau said:

FWIW, I've ordered two StationPC-M2 (one for me and one for a friend). The devices look really awesome and perfectly match what I expect from a small fanless machine (i.e. sturdy metal enclosure and good I/O).

HOWEVER, as often with many rockchip SoC vendors, the images "provided" (i.e that you have to figure by yourself) by t-firefly fail to flash, and their crappy flashing tools can even segfault. There's a tool to turn these to SD images but the tool is only provided for windows instead of just explaining the layout and how to convert the image (I guess there are just some headers to be added or removed). And of course they do not provide bootable SD images for now, it wouldn't be fun.

Thus I guess that it will take quite some time before these devices get supported since for now they are sold as bricks that cannot even be flashed, and that once someone figures how to reach that point, there will be some effort to get away from this mess. For now I'm giving up, spending the whole afternoon on it drove me sufficiently crazy that I want to crush the device under a hammer!

Hi, sorry for your bad experience. We have updated new images and tutorials.

Please refer to https://www.stationpc.com/download

And you can check out our Wiki - https://wiki.stationpc.com/docs/stationpc

For those who are interested in reducing the price of Firefly RK3566\rk3568 boards. I am trying to convince Firefly representatives of the need to add rk3566\rk3568 boards without the eMMC module to the line of products sold. This will significantly reduce the price. This is especially noticeable on the variants of the eMMC module with 64\128GB. For those who plan to use these models with SATA or NVMe (after the version of the u-boot loader for SPI is finalized, for direct launch with SATA\NVMe). At the first stage, to fully start the entire system with SATA\NVMe, you can use the bootloader from the SD card. I invite everyone interested to express their opinion, so that Firefly representatives could assess the prospect of such an option for delivery.