[WARNING!!!] wireguard-manager script is wiping /etc/wireguard !!!

g00d
Go to solution Solved by Igor,

Dear all,

on my ODROID-HC2 Armbian Bullseye installation there is a script /usr/bin/wireguard-manager and I'm curious what this is about at all. In my opinion only wireguard-tools is "ok" to setup a wireguard VPN configuration but no "wireguard" package or such a script which installs a bunch of stuff and weird things. Unfortunately I was new to wireguard and this was my 1st configuration and setup I did. I discovered the mentioned script and executed "wireguard-manager --help" which against my expectation started an installation of different stuff. I didn't cancel this because I was afraid in ending in half-baked misconfigured states.

It did "apt update" and also installed some packages on my system and even apt-get install linux-headers-"$(uname -r)" -y which failed because the kernel on my ODROID-HC2 is linux-image-current-odroidxu4. It removed chrony, installed ntp, gawk, and various other packages and it also modified or added some systemd/sysv scripts (don't remember exactly).

While progressing I realized that I never ever needed this script and now I'm afraid about the systemd modifications. Can anyone shed some light into this script, why it is there and how I can revert all modifications made by that script? It's really annoying that it didn't interprete the --help argument as expected and started the installation and configuration :(

any helpful answer appreciated

EDIT: WTF ?!?!?!?! according to the script arguments as shown on the GIT repo I wanted to try another argument, this time I used the neutral --list argument. It didn't list anything but it throwed an input. I didn't enter 1 or 2 but I pressed CTRL+C and returned to the bash prompt. And what the hell do I see ?? /etc/wireguard is WIPED !!! the folder is gone with all my configs and keys. It was there seconds ago and I did not execute any other commands meanwhile. History proves this and also "locate wireguard" which is still displaying /etc/wireguard in the cache db. This is ridigoulous, what the f*** is this script doing? This is broken and needs to get removed. I'm really really PIS*** !!!!!

root@host:/# wireguard-manager --list
Do you want the interface (server) or peer (client) to be installed?
  1) Interface
  2) Peer
Interface Or Peer [1-2]: 1^C
root@host:/# cd /etc/wireguard

NOT FOUND !!!

EDIT: this is reproducable. This sucks! And there is NO backup folder created under /var/backups with variable WIREGUARD_OLD_BACKUP or SYSTEM_BACKUP_PATH variable. Damn it, REMOVE THIS SCRIPT!

this script is irresponsible and belongs removed from Armbian !

rm -rf /usr/bin/wireguard-manager

• g00d changed the title to [WARNING!!!] wireguard-manager script is wiping /etc/wireguard !!!

Hi Werner,

yes of course HIM. The kind of that script is absolutely inacceptable. No warning, no checks, nothing, he's just wiping! even with CTRL+C at script termination.

But I wrote this topic to warn the armbian community and hopefully the developers behind it. This script was never downloaded and installed by myself into my Armbian OS. It is shipped with Armbian. That is why I wrote here so the devs can check and remove this irresponsible script from Armbian Bullseye image.

The image I am using is Armbian_21.08.3_Odroidxu4_bullseye_current_5.4.151.img and I just checked the content. The mentioned bad script is located in /usr/bin/wireguard-manager

@devs: please check and decide if you wanna keep or remove this dangerous script from your nice Armbian work.

Well the rm command can be dangerous as well if you don't know what you are doing...

Anyway seems like @Igor added it with this commit: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/2499/files

• Solution
1 hour ago, Werner said:

Anyway seems like @Igor added it with this commit: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/2499/files

Yes, better some tools then no tools, but probably we should just move to packaged version or to more recent version ...

@g00d 

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/lib/compilation.sh#L708

If you like to help - provide merge request with TAG from git which is ok. If none, contact authors, open issue to them. We are in the process to scale the project down because we can't pay for everything users find in open source software. I used to lost up to 10 hours daily just for communicating with users request. Now I just ignore since that can only lead to insanity. To get a picture how this "armbian maintainers - do something" looks like.

That is the best what can be done. 

21 hours ago, g00d said:

irresponsible

FOSS is released without any warranty because we can't pay for service users would wish to have. Fixing bugs in SW made by 10.000+ people. We can't cover even much less No interest, most users doesn't even understand the value ... fast forward. https://www.armbian.com/newsflash/armbian-needs-your-help/ There is some interest but still we are far far away, not enough to boost support on levels users would imagine to have (without paying developers for the time they will lost). Someone that will fix troubles that might be hard, not fun and by much higher pressure they are used in their well paid professional environment. In real-time and on their personal expense.

This project is backed by amateurs, by you and me and other people that like to play with those devices. There is not formal support as such (it goes under as is, best effor support) -  Armbian is not Red Hat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat with 10.000+ full time engineers looking to the code, made by them and others.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.