Video : Testing KDE Plasma desktop on Armbian / RK3399

Hi Nico!

This is a great video! Congratulations!

We are working on a distribution based on Armbian for education, based also in rock pi 4, but we are facing several issues related to video. As you know, If we want good video and audio reproduction based on GPU, our best chance would be kernel 4.4, but that way we would loose GPU accelerated  3D. If we want to use panfrost, we should use mainline kernel...

My question is: Is there any possibility of using an stable version of wayland for this purposes? If not, which could be the best choice for us to have an stable desktop, with chromium and all other stuff? Would it be possible in the near future to have GPU accelerated videos throuth v4l2 decent drivers?

Sorry for the long question, but we don't really know pretty well which path to follow.

Thanks so much!

23 minutes ago, villalvilla said:

My question is: Is there any possibility of using an stable version of wayland for this purposes? If not, which could be the best choice for us to have an stable desktop, with chromium and all other stuff? Would it be possible in the near future to have GPU accelerated videos throuth v4l2 decent drivers?

I don't have the RockPi4 anymore. I do have the NanoPi M4 and I run 5.14.11 on it without any problems. This only comes with GPU drivers, and not VPU drivers. Indeed for VPU you need to use Buster 4.4 with the media framework.

That also has some GPU acceleration, but not panfrost.
I've used it for a very long time. But with the old Media script on Armbian Bionic 4.4

I only watch 1080p video files and youtube at 1080p. And this works well enough now on mainline. Only thing mainline can't do is 4K video.
The M4 used to be my main desktop. For that I would still use 4.4. Now it's my 2nd desktop. My first desktop does 4K, so no need for it anymore on my RK3399.
No idea about wayland. I always stayed with xfce4/x11 for desktop.

20 минут назад, NicoD сказал:

This only comes with GPU drivers, and not VPU drivers. Indeed for VPU you need to use Buster 4.4 with the media

You are behind the current state of rk3399 support. :) Now there is already support for HW GPU and VPU. I'm testing this on Firefly Station P1 (rk3399), everything works fine (kernel 5.1x), including 4k.

info glmark2 for Station P1

https://forum.altlinux.org/index.php?topic=36166.msg364846#msg364846

27 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

You are behind the current state of rk3399 support. :)

I'm indeed behind.
How do I enable this? Is there a package for it? Do I need to use Buster/Hirsute?
Sorry, I'm reading thru the page you shared but didn't find the info.
I'd love to make a video about this.

19 minutes ago, NicoD said:

I'm indeed behind.
How do I enable this? Is there a package for it? Do I need to use Buster/Hirsute?
Sorry, I'm reading thru the page you shared but didn't find the info.
I'd love to make a video about this.

I bet you can try one of these: https://users.armbian.com/balbes150/station-p1/

1 час назад, NicoD сказал:

I'll try it tonight. I've got the P1 gathering dust. So a good moment to use it again.

Download the Bullseye image with kernel 5.10 (for Station P1) and install the KODI package into it.

https://users.armbian.com/jmcc/packages/kodi-mainline/arm64/

By the way, the latest images for Station P1 use the media kernel with a full package of patches for HW, which go for LE. If @JMCC builds its mpv and KODI packages based on it, you can have HW acceleration on any Debian and Ubuntu system) with a 5.16 kernel.

18 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Download the Bullseye image with kernel 5.10 (for Station P1) and install the KODI package into it.

https://users.armbian.com/jmcc/packages/kodi-mainline/arm64/

By the way, the latest images for Station P1 use the media kernel with a full package of patches for HW, which go for LE. If @JMCC builds its mpv and KODI packages based on it, you can have HW acceleration on any Debian and Ubuntu system) with a 5.16 kernel.

Balbes150, thanks for this information!

I am indeed really interested on having a functional debian/ubuntu rockpi 4 image working with VPU and GPU, because I am working in an educational project based on rockpi 4 to provide as cheap as possible minipcs for some schools. It is amazing all the information that you mentioned before and I am really happy to hear that finally this is possible from kernel 5.16.

Actually, yesterday I have been trying to put all the things that you mentioned here together, but I couldn't make them work. What I tried was this:

1. As rockpi 4 doesn't appear anymore as a mainly supported board in the arm downloads, I tried to compile from scratch (as I usually do). I Have chosen bleeding edge kernel with xfce on top of a Bullseye distro, because I supposed it was going to be the closest to the mainline kernel. It generated the image with kernel 5.15.19.

2. The image is working fine, but as I could check, no VPU or GPU was working.

3. I installed what you indicated about Kodi (probably missunderstood your indications here) and nothing extra happened, so I'm a little bit stuck here.

I have some questions at this point, because probably it is a better chance for me understanding all the packages that I should install to have it working and then generating u-boot from armbian and doing debootstrap by myself, adding exactly what I would need in the final image:

1. Which kernel version is needed (minimum) to make VPU working in mainline kernel with rockpi 4?

2. Are all the patches that you commented that were created for RK3399 included in the rockpi 4 kernel configuration?

3. Is it possible to compile with armbian's compile.sh script a 5.16 or 5.17 kernel?

4. Which are the software packages, kernel modules, etc needed to make VPU and GPU working? Is there any script/website where I can go to know more about this information?

Sorry for the long post, but as armbian forums don't allow more than 1 post per day, I had to condense the best I could all my doubts and problems.

Thanks again for your guidance on this guys! It is really helpful for me!

35 минут назад, acervantes сказал:

I have some questions at this point, because probably it is a better chance for me

Rockpi4 is not supported, so everything else doesn't make sense to explain. If you can convince Radxa to cooperate with the Armbian developer community, then there is a chance that you will get a ready-made solution for your task.

I pay attention. in the future, significant changes are planned at the u-boot, kernel and system level, which will significantly simplify the use of Armbian on supported devices, but the reverse side of this will be a significant complication of the "pirated" use of these developments on unsupported devices. Ie, users of unsupported models will not be able to use all the features and good operation of the equipment. This will only be available to users of supported models. Therefore, I strongly recommend carefully choosing and buying devices that have Armbian support. And if you want to have a good operation of your devices, require the manufacturer of your equipment to establish contacts with the Armbian developer community.

@balbes150I'm unable to make it work.
I downloaded the Armbian_21.11.0-trunk_Station-p1_bullseye_current_5.10.88_xfce_desktop
Downloaded the deb files. https://users.armbian.com/jmcc/packages/kodi-mainline/arm64/
First tried with only the kodi-mainline-bin and kodi-mainline files

sudo apt install libcec6 libfmt7 libfstrcmp0 libgles2 liblirc-client0 libmariadb3 libtinyxml2.6.2v5 libmicrohttpd12 libpcrecpp0v5 libpython2.7
sudo dpkg -i kodi-mainline-bin_18.9-final-18.9bullseye0armbian1_arm64.deb
sudo apt install libaacs0 libboost-python1.74.0 libshairplay0 libxxf86dga1 python3-bluez python3-gattlib python3-simplejson x11-utils
sudo dpkg -i kodi-mainline_18.9-final-18.9bullseye0armbian1_all.deb

When I try to start Kodi it kind of crashes the desktop. Mouse and keyboard stop working. Can't do anything. It does stay on the desktop, and the desktop is still running. I tried with a terminal window with htop running and htop was still running. But I was unable to do anything. Also couldn't switch with ctrl-alt-Fx
This is the same with either sudo kodi or without.

I then also tried with installing all the deb kodi files. But no change here.
I tried again with a fresh install and the same.
Did I download the wrong image? It is an older image, but the most recent 5.10 bullseye as you said.

Some other things. It takes a long time before it starts booting. About a minute after power on you see the first things on screen. And the led isn't on. It blinks one time when boot initiates. But then it stays off.
I think I remember this was working in the past.

I also notices the black spots in windows that other people talk about. Seems a graphical glitch, composer or GPU. I don't have that on my M4 with 5.14(old image).
And Firefox also crashed out of the blue. Just to let you know. Cheers.

15 часов назад, NicoD сказал:

When I try to start Kodi it kind of crashes the desktop.

You are violating the startup order, this is a test version and it does not contain startup scripts from the desktop. It needs to be run as an independent software. After booting the system, DO NOT log in to the desktop. Switch to any console (Ctrl+Alt+F1). We log in as a user (but it's better to use root, then there will be more control options) and launch kodi. The problems of a long startup may be related to new KODI packages or the latest version of the image with the 5.10.88 kernel (you can try earlier versions from yandex disk, there is a version with the 5.10.62 kernel). I have a system with the first versions of these packages, everything works quickly with them and the splash works.

I recommend using the correct package installation order.

su -

apt update

apt install <full_patch>/kodi-mainline-bin_18.9-final-18.9bullseye0armbian1_arm64.deb

apt install <full_patch>/kodi-mainline_18.9-final-18.9bullseye0armbian1_all.deb

(installing additional packages if they are needed)

reboot

6 hours ago, balbes150 said:

You are violating the startup order, this is a test version and it does not contain startup scripts from the desktop. It needs to be run as an independent software. After booting the system, DO NOT log in to the desktop. Switch to any console (Ctrl+Alt+F1). We log in as a user (but it's better to use root, then there will be more control options) and launch kodi.

Thank you. That does work well.
I should have know to start it like that. But clearly my brain doesn't always work the way I'd like it to.

03.02.2022 в 15:14, acervantes сказал:

I am working in an educational project based on rockpi 4 to provide as cheap as possible minipcs for some schools.

oftopik

Just for information. I am currently working in a pilot project for educational institutions using a mini PC based on rk33xx\rk35xx. Devices based on Firefly products (Station P1\M1\P2\M2 and server R1\R2) were selected as equipment in terms of the cost/result ratio. And specialized, fully ready-to-use, comprehensive software in the form of ready-made images "AltLinux education", in which everything necessary for learning functions for interaction of students with teachers are integrated. Station P\M are used as workplaces for students and teachers at school. Servers are used for remote connection (in remote desktop mode with a single shell for all for the same use) of students and teachers from their home devices (you can use any smartphones, tablets, PCs with any OS to connect).

On 2/5/2022 at 9:02 AM, balbes150 said:

oftopik

Just for information. I am currently working in a pilot project for educational institutions using a mini PC based on rk33xx\rk35xx. Devices based on Firefly products (Station P1\M1\P2\M2 and server R1\R2) were selected as equipment in terms of the cost/result ratio. And specialized, fully ready-to-use, comprehensive software in the form of ready-made images "AltLinux education", in which everything necessary for learning functions for interaction of students with teachers are integrated. Station P\M are used as workplaces for students and teachers at school. Servers are used for remote connection (in remote desktop mode with a single shell for all for the same use) of students and teachers from their home devices (you can use any smartphones, tablets, PCs with any OS to connect).

Balbes, that sounds amazing!

Could you please give me more information on this?

At this moment, we have already purchased the rock pi 4 models and are testing different solutions. BTW, as you can see in this link: https://wiki.amarulasolutions.com/news/071120.html      it is not that Radxa doesn't want to collaborate with GNU's world, probably they put all the effort in yocto rather than armbian, who knows!

I have to check all this information and see if yocto has more support for this board, because the economical effort has been made. It would be an absolute pleasure contacting with you and trying to give support to rk33xx apart from firefly products. I have to say that with 4.4 kernel and debian 10 things just work and VPU and quite good GPU is possible, so that will be my first goal. After that moment, probably I will jump into mainline kernel possibility. If you could give me some guidance here, it would be reeeeeeally apreciated.

Regarding armbian forums: Is it possible to change my profile anyway, so I can post more than 1 message per day? I think that is crazy and stops the growing up possibilities  of the community.

Thanks so much for your great support, you are awesome!

5 minutes ago, acervantes said:

Regarding armbian forums: Is it possible to change my profile anyway, so I can post more than 1 message per day? I think that is crazy and stops the growing up possibilities  of the community.

This restriction will lift automatically once you have a few posts.

This measure unfortunately is necessary. Otherwise forums would be flooded by spammers spreading their BS.

1 hour ago, Werner said:

This restriction will lift automatically once you have a few posts.

This measure unfortunately is necessary. Otherwise forums would be flooded by spammers spreading their BS.

Roger that and sorry to ask, sometimes being a newbie comes with these silly questions :wacko:

On 2/5/2022 at 11:02 AM, balbes150 said:

oftopik

Sound very interesting.

Great work Balbes. Keep up the good work :D

On 2/5/2022 at 9:02 AM, balbes150 said:

oftopik

Hi Balbes,

Regarding this and the contact with radxa that you mentioned, I am directly in contact with radxa's dev team and allnet Spain (the official distributor of radxa in the world). What they told me is that their main effort now is put into Manjaro's distribution (https://manjaro.org/downloads/arm/rock-pi-4b/arm8-rockpi4b-xfce/)

I have also reviewed the work of Akash Gajjar with kernel 5.10 and rock pi 4 and I am trying to get in contact with Alyssa Rosenzweig, that is the responsible of some great patches for using rk33xx with panfrost and trying to intagrate VPU use with mesa. I will let you know my progresses about all these things with rock pi 4, but to sum up I can see some lights at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks!

07.02.2022 в 16:47, acervantes сказал:

At this moment, we have already purchased the rock pi 4 models and are testing different solutions.

Rocpi4 is not suitable for such projects. These constructors are intended for amateur (home) use only. The costs will be too high.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.