NanoPi Neo3 Armbian Boots But Incorrect Password

chandlersupple

Hi all,

For the past few days, I've been trying to SSH into my NanoPi Neo3, but I keep getting the "Incorrect password" error.

My set up:

• Load a supported Armbian image onto a 16GB, class 10 micro SD card using balenaEtcher.
  • Connect the NanoPi to my laptop, with a shared internet connection (Please note: It connects just fine. I've tried with a manual and automatic DHCP connection, and in both cases, been able to obtain the IP address).
  • Insert the micro SD card.
  • Plug in the power cord, and wait for the blinking yellow light.
  • SSH into the root user, using "ssh root@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" (I've also tried using PuTTY).

After all that, I get prompted for a password. I enter in the password, but then I get the "Incorrect password" error. I've tried "1234", "fa", "NULL", and a range of other passwords. Also note, I've tried this process on a Windows, Mac, and Linux computer.

I really appreciate any help or ideas!

Thanks,

Chandler

Default password for all official Armbian images is 1234, no exception.

Try an older image, you can simply use apt to upgrade later once login was successful.

What you can also try is using serial console to login. baudrate for RK SoCs is 1500000.

Just now, Werner said:

Default password for all official Armbian images is 1234, no exception.

Try an older image, you can simply use apt to upgrade later once login was successful.

What you can also try is using serial console to login. baudrate for RK SoCs is 1500000.

Thanks Werner for the advice. Unfortunately though, switching to an older version didn't work. I'm still getting the same error. I'll definitely try with the serial console.

Right now I bought a Nanopi Neo3, Flashed both FriendlyWrt and FriendlyCore into 16GB sd card with both Windisk32imager and Balena Etcher, and none of them worked.

Symptoms: Red light on, green light off, no IP address. Then i decided to download and flash DietPi, this time the green light started to blink but no ip address. Finally, about to surrender, i downloaded and flashed the author's Armbian image and boom, it worked like a charm. Lights blinking and Ip detected. Logged via SSH success! Thank you guys.

3 hours ago, ezeqam said:

Then i decided to download and flash DietPi, this time the green light started to blink but no ip address. Finally, about to surrender

FYI. They don't do any development, bug fixing or supporting boards they suppose to "support". Their pages are full of BS, but nobody cares as "their" product is usually legitimately working at least as good as others - if they manage to copy Armbian / RaspberryPi OS well. Its easy and fully automatized. HW stability, which few Armbian people lost several thousands of hours for, can't be worse as they only add some bash script and change brand name. Code is binary the same, they even abuse Armbian repository infrastructure without a shame. This is nothing as they also try to abuse our human support infrastructure without a shame. "Armbian must ... support ... fix ... yesterday" is in their heads when problems starts. And this is the world where you never can close all bugs. Not even close and not with resources project have.

Why this board doesn't work? Armbian does not support it officially as we are drowning in hardware - when you don't steal all critical value from others then this represent serious problem and expense. If you didn't know this, if they forget informing their users that everything that is important is not their job, but others ... then this really stinks. And makes many peoples work, those that invest their days into open source, worthless.