Which image for bananapi pro : ubuntu xenial or debian jessie ?

deb2016

Hello,

With a bananapi pro, which legacy image is better to use ? ubuntu xenial or debian jessie ?

I intend to use it mainly as a server and occasionally to watch movie on a hdmi screen. I do not want to install a full desktop, I prefer to log through ssh and launch an X server remotely.

Also, I need an mpv (mplayer) with acceleration enabled.

thanks for your help

Regards

If you want a video acceleration, you better start with pre-build desktop even upgrade from CLI is possible. We haven't done enough tests to recommend this scenario yet.

Currently we only provide a Jessie desktop, so pick that one. Note: we will change to Xenial desktop upon next build since it's base is a bit newer. In any case, you can build your own image, if our defaults does not meet yours.

If you want a video acceleration, you better start with pre-build desktop even upgrade from CLI is possible. We haven't done enough tests to recommend this scenario yet.

Currently we only provide a Jessie desktop, so pick that one. Note: we will change to Xenial desktop upon next build since it's base is a bit newer. In any case, you can build your own image, if our defaults does not meet yours.

Hi, thanks for your answeer.

I went with the Jessie server. I prefer to start from this CLI image and then add just what I need to launch X applications.

I managed to do it like this before : log from ssh, launch an X server and any X application by redirecting the display.

But it was a bit hard to get the video acceleration because one had to do it from scratch.

Nevertheless, I noticed that there were several packages like xserver-xorg-video-fbturbo, libvdpau-sunxi1, libump, libcedrus1, vdpau-driver, vdpau-va-driver. Do theses packages include latest developments that enable video acceleration ?

Also, the "mpv" video player is available as a package, but is it compiled with video acceleration for sunxi ? (I had to compile it from scratch last time)

Thanks for your attention and your kind help.

Best regards.

deb75

Nevertheless, I noticed that there were several packages like xserver-xorg-video-fbturbo, libvdpau-sunxi1, libump, libcedrus1, vdpau-driver, vdpau-va-driver. Do theses packages include latest developments that enable video acceleration ?

Also, the "mpv" video player is available as a package, but is it compiled with video acceleration for sunxi ? (I had to compile it from scratch last time)

For video decoding acceleration you need to install only libvdpau-sunxi1, other packages will be resolved as dependencies.

You don't need to rebuild mpv on Jessie if I remember correctly, unless you want to use OSD and subtitles.

xserver-xorg-video-fbturbo is not related to video acceleration, but installing it (together with libmali-sunxi-r3p0 or without it) should enable additional Xorg related acceleration