Orange Pi One, SETI@Home & RAM

rj45jack

I've posted this on the Orange Pi subreddit here: https://redd.it/5bqnghbut figured a more active community might be better.

I am using my Orange Pi Ones for SETI@Home, I also use Raspberry Pis for the same purpose. I've noticed since, around, Armbian 5.20 that SETI@Home(BOINC) won't stay running for any more than 6-12 hours. It's being sniped by Out of Memory. I've tried a few things, posted on the subreddit, but here is the short list:

• Logged Memory ---> Can dip below 100MB during usage but not often
  • Enabled Swap/Increase Swappiness---> 0 to 10 (I don't care about SD Card life)
  • Adjusted BOINC/SETI to use 75% memory

None of the above seems to have helped. The RPis seem to have no issue with this, with even less swap space and 0 swappiness. 

What can I do here, if anything?

We don't have report about any memory troubles of this kind. The simplest way would be to tryout new kernel (4.9+) when becomes avaliable. Currently is under development and is in working / non working state at the moment. Peek here and try OrangepiPC 4.9.0 if it boots / works for you. Note: serial console only.

Try also with recompiling seti@home from sources and check their manual once again ...

We don't have report about any memory troubles of this kind.

I had a report with Linpack a while ago and now with OPi Zero (256 MB) even system processes got oom killed. Legacy H3 kernel sucks here IMO, switching to mainline helped with both issues.