RPi5 kernel headers

J.Ayuso

Hi, where can I find kernel headers for RPi5 jammy? linux-headers-6.1.68.current-bcm2712 ?

This version of Armbian is really usefull because it is the only one that can run a version of ROS natively on a RPi5, but I need the headers to build drivers

Thanks

Edited by J.Ayuso

I was about to ask/write the same here. I am also in need of the corresponding kernel headers for the 6.1.68.current-bcm2712 kernel distributed with Armbian for RaspberryPi5. In addition, I just recognized that kernel reinstallation also does not work because the kernel image package also seems to be missing in the apt repositories as it seems. See here:

# apt reinstall linux-image-current-bcm2712
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Reinstallation of linux-image-current-bcm2712 is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Thus, would be great if some armbian dev (perhaps the maintainer – @viraniac – of the RaspberryPi5 port, see https://www.armbian.com/rpi5b/) can have a look and provide the necessary packages...

Oddly there are no bcm2712 packages whatsoever in stable repo. At least not on my mirror. However there are current and edge packages in beta including headers.

13236    ./pool/main/l/linux-headers-current-bcm2712/linux-headers-current-bcm2712_24.2.0-trunk.480_arm64__6.6.13-S374f-D719f-P0000-Cb2aaH4168-HK01ba-Vc222-B4d80-R448a.deb
25531    ./pool/main/l/linux-6.6.13/linux-image-current-bcm2712_24.2.0-trunk.480_arm64__6.6.13-S374f-D719f-P0000-Cb2aaH4168-HK01ba-Vc222-B4d80-R448a.deb
120    ./pool/main/l/linux-dtb-current-bcm2712/linux-dtb-current-bcm2712_24.2.0-trunk.480_arm64__6.6.13-S374f-D719f-P0000-Cb2aaH4168-HK01ba-Vc222-B4d80-R448a.deb

Yes, indeed. I just checked that myself as well. Newer experimental Armbian (v24, edge, current) contains the corresponding header and image deb files for the RaspberryPi5. However, not the latest stable version. Furthermore, the stable version for the RaspberryPi4 seems to be affected as well. Also there I can't install the corresponding linux-headers package patching the currently running kernel version. See:

# apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-6.1.68-current-bcm2711
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-headers-6.1.68-current-bcm2711'

And the same applies for the linux-image package:

# apt reinstall linux-image-current-bcm2711
Reinstallation of linux-image-current-bcm2711 is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Hopefully some Armbian dev can fix that ASAP so that the corresponding linux-headers and linux-image packages for the RaspberryPi5 and RaspberryPi4 are available in the apt repositories. 

12 hours ago, jmaus said:

Hopefully some Armbian dev can fix that ASAP so that the corresponding linux-headers and linux-image packages for the RaspberryPi5 and RaspberryPi4 are available in the apt repositories. 

6.1.74 current and 6.6.13 edge are going to be available on stable repository shortly after this is done:

https://github.com/armbian/os/actions/runs/7708966983

8 hours ago, J.Ayuso said:

Where are the kernel header  for linux-headers-6.1.68.current-bcm2712 ?

Make an apt update + upgrade. Kernel + header combo exists for 6.1.74 and it should be there for future versions.

Thank you for the response. On my PI 5, after udate + upgrade, when I request sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)  I get the same message for the new kernel:

Unable to locate package  linux-headers-6.1.74-current-bmc2712. 

12 hours ago, J.Ayuso said:

Unable to locate package  linux-headers-6.1.74-current-bmc2712. 

Follow instructions ;) armbian-config -> software -> install headers 

This is the package name:

# apt search  linux-headers-current-bcm2712       
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
linux-headers-current-bcm2712/jammy 23.11.3 arm64
  Armbian Linux current headers 6.1.74-current-bcm2712