Armbian 24.2 is broken on Orange PI PC2

Moklev

Armbian 24.2 is broken on Orange PI PC2 (Debian Bookworm CLI)

Latest stable community release:

https://github.com/armbian/community/releases/download/24.5.0-trunk.123/Armbian_community_24.5.0-trunk.123_Orangepipc2_bookworm_current_6.6.20_minimal.img.xz

With update 23.11 -> 24.2 the orange pi pc2 no longer starts.

I tried a new sd installation and it too does not appear on the network. Right now I don't have a serial cable to check but it is possible that the network driver is missing or not working.

SD, SBC and PSU are 100% working: a revert to 23.11.2 makes it work perfectly.

Edited by Moklev

• Moklev changed the title to Armbian 24.2 is broken on Orange PI PC2

same issue after upgrading to latest kernel (not sure if is the 6.6.20, but most probably is)

no time to debug now, but the fresh installation stuck after

Started systemd-udevd.service

guess is a kernel issue 

edit:

i can confirm my installation was broken after installing kernel 6.6.16 

reverted to 6.1.77-legacy-sunxi64 and im back

Edited by Giulio Cervera

Hello,

I am new here, so I do not know if I am using the correct topic.

I tried to upgrade my orange pi pc2 following the steps above, but no success. The devices tries to boot, but does not get any IP address and no HDMI output. The yellow led of the ethernet port blinks with a constant frequency (ca every 2 secs) and the device does not go any further.

I tried installation from the scratch, with the same result, using Rufus and balenaEtcher-Portable-1.18.11 and the following images:

Armbian_community_24.5.0-trunk.123_Orangepipc2_jammy_current_6.6.20_gnome_desktop.img

Armbian_community_24.5.0-trunk.123_Orangepipc2_bookworm_current_6.6.20_minimal.img

Then I tried installing again Armbian_23.02.1_Orangepipc2_bullseye_current_5.15.93.img, using Rufus, without any problems. The device booted and I could log in.

The problem is, my network infrastructure relies on 3 (and 1/2) different orange pi devices, so I am afraid, the upgrade could crash my network structure.

Last try: jammy desktop (see boot.log and bootstrap.log)

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

jammy-boot.log jammy-bootstrap.log

@718aba Install the 23.11.2 on sd and block the kernel update in armbian-config, as recommended by Giulio. Configure everything and then make a full compressed backup of the whole SD with usbimager (gitlab).

No, it's not 🙂
If you need something stable and safe, don't waste money on these crappy chinese sbc.

Buy a LP Intel like a Dell Wise 5070 on ebay (~80/90€ with a Celeron J, 4/8GB RAM and a SSD) and install Debian o CentOS. is rock-solid and requires only 5/8 Watt.

Thanks, @Moklev, you are right. I am already replacing my orangepi intranet nodes (piece by piece) with raspberry, using the orangepis mainly for entertainment or fall-back purposes.

And I will follow your advise and look for a thin client to run my NAS and a reliable backup server.

Anyway, I need to upgrade all.