no release file

Go to solution Solved by ag123,

Hi all,

I have a Rock64, running ioBroker, and want to update the npm/nodejs to update all the adapters - mainly MQTT with which I have some problems.

Trying to run apt update or iob nodejs-update, I run into:

The repository 'http://apt.armbian.com stretch Release' does no longer have a Release file.

in several versions. 

Can you help me?

Sources.list is (changed, this works now)

deb-src [trusted=yes] http://archive.debian.org/debian stretch main non-free contrib
deb [trusted=yes] http://archive.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main non-free contrib

Armbian.list is:

deb https://apt.armbian.com stretch main stretch-utils stretch-desktop

With hopful regards

Martin

Hi Werner, 

What do you mean with outdated? Armbian Stretch? Armbian in general surely not...

I run my home automation system on Rock64 and need to update

npm to 8.xx anf nodejs to 18.xx

I succeeded to update npm, but not yet nodejs, is it because Armbian?

How can I change if needed to be future proof?

Kind Regards

Martin

4 hours ago, Sandwichmacher said:

ioBroker

Never heard of.

Anyway

Armbian is not an operating system per se. It is a build framework which creates working Linux images by combining a customized Linux kernel for the specific board with a userspace flavor in either Debian or Ubuntu. The images we provide are in practical POV just a side product from testing the build framework and the actually supported images to a certain level and mostly there for user convenience.

Due to limited resources Armbian can only support the most recent upstream LTS userspaces which at the moment are Debian 12 aka Bookworm and Ubuntu 22.04 aka Jammy. The upstream support for Debian Stretch has ended June 30, 2022.

If you for once are fine with not receive any further updates for either the kernel or the userspace, and for the other find a way to update your nodejs to a newer version anyways you are good to go.

To be future proof for a few years I'd suggest to start from scratch with Debian 12 or wait a few month and use Ubuntu Noble which will supersede Jammy in April.

Hi Werner, thanks a lot for yor reply,

Now I see all the things more clearly.

I work as an Engineer mostly with Windows,

Having not much experience with Linux derivations, unfortunately.

This is a chance to force me to dig a little deeper into Linux.

IoBroker is a framework for home automation, driven by a community,

Combining a system of adapters for several interfaces to 

Commercial sensors and actors with a historian,

Visualisation and scripting agent to control actors depending on

sensors, daylight, time and so on.

KR

Martin

• Solution

i'd be kind of 'off topic' here, armbian is somewhat in the 'fast lane', 'bleeding edge'

https://www.debian.org/releases/

recently when we worked on Orange Pi Zero 3 

we actually jumped right into bookworm, had there been something more 'bleeding edge' that may be it ;)

and that we jumped into 6.6 kernel (as it is about the 1st kernel that has support for Orange Pi Zero 3 on allwinner H618 cpu, and that actually as development progress, it actually advanced to 6.7, 6.8 etc.

Today, I just installed Ubuntu jammy from Ubuntu, only to find that that is 6.5 !

and that even orange pi's 'official' image for Orange Pi Zero 3 gets 'left behind' at 6.1 :)

I'd suggest to try upgrading to the 'latest'  debian (bookworm?) image, it may take quite a bit of  'reinstall' though. And that everything is 'brand new', 'bleeding edge' there.

the python 3 version is 3.11, that in ubuntu jammy is 3.10 ! ;)

that said, there are bound to be some broken bones left around somewhere, it is 'under construction'  (all the time) ;)

oh some fun stuff, 6.8 is  9 days old, who knows that might be the new Armbian kernel ;)

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/

9 hours ago, Sandwichmacher said:

What do you mean with outdated? Armbian Stretch? Armbian in general surely not...

Technically the user space you are using is Debian Stretch.  Armbian provides the boot environment and linux kernel, the user space comes from either Debian or Ubuntu (depending on the version you choose to install).

From the Debian release page: : "Debian 9.13 was released July 18th, 2020. Debian 9.0 was initially released on June 17th, 2017. The release included many major changes, described in our press release and the Release Notes. Debian 9 (stretch) has been superseded by Debian 10 (buster). Security updates have been discontinued as of July 6th, 2020."

So Debian stretch stopped being supported over three years ago.  Armbian generally follows similar time lines to the underlying support of the Debian or Ubuntu user spaces.  The message you are getting is because Armbian recently cleaned up the support status of these older releases.  So even though no updates have been created for the Armbian parts for likely years, you didn't have any message that you weren't getting any updates until the recent change.

The reality is that you need to upgrade your system.  You haven't received any security updates for years.

Hi all, 

I installed the newest bookworm image (Armbian_community_24.5.0-trunk.250_Rock64_bookworm_current_6.6.22_minimal.img.xz😞 flashed it to SD card, booted... Rock64 boot was okay, via PuTTY it asked me to log in, but I have no PW, not any credentials, of course. Shouldn´t it ask me for a root PW first???

BR

Martin