Orange Pi Lite SSH Problems

8BALL_SA

Hi All

I'm having some problem with a fresh install of version 5.30 but had the same problem with 5.27 on my Orange Pi Lite.

On reboot, I can SSH into the device with no problems. but after a while connection hangs.

If I wait a while after a reboot I can't SSH into the device either. 

I also can't ping the device after a while.

Using the network manager, if I disable and then enable the wifi then everything works for a while.

I have checked that the power Managment of the wifi is off.

The whole time I can still browse the internet from the device with no problems.

Any ideas on where to look for the problem?

Thanks

Hi chwe.

I have tried several different SD cards, from Class 4 for Class 10, from different manufacturers and have the same problem. I have also checked the power supply and don't think this is the problem. I have been playing around with DietPi the last day and have not had any problems with SSH timeouts. 

I see Diet-Pi used dropbear as the default SSH server.  What ssh server does Armbian use by default?

50 minutes ago, 8BALL_SA said:

What ssh server does Armbian use by default?

Default / standard open-ssh server which works perfectly well for millions of people. Problems are not on this level ... Dietpi is illusion of choice, copy of Armbian, it uses our kernel, builds system, everything what is relevant and it should behave the exact same way. Bugs present in Armbian (if this is a bug at all?) will be present there as well. 

I hope you don't use experimental images? They are not ready for usage.

Hi Igor

I agree that you regarding OpenSSH Server. I have used it on many machines over the years with no problems. I agree that there should be no difference between Armbian and Diet-Pi but the problem I'm having seems to persist....

I'm not using an experimental build. I'm running the latest release v5.30.

After some more tests: 

After the Orange Pi- Lite has been running a while, I can not ping or SSH into it. But from the Orange Pi- Lite I still have full internet access and can ping the rest of my network.  I think the problem lies with the wireless driver, but can't confirm.

Not sure where to start looking for the problem?

If your power supply is below 1.5A / low quality, than strange random problems might happen in such configuration: board + mouse + keyboard + HDMI screen + wireless ... and we are back to basic hardware problems written in https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/ 

a proper power supply according to the board manufacturer requirements (basic usage example: 5V/2A with DC Jack barrel OR thick USB cable)

Even you have a good one, just make sure to test with different one and remove all from USB ...

Is this the case?

Just see here, how a support question can go terrible wrong if you start mixing up things. So I think you could agree that your thread shouldn't end like this one. So I wanna try to give this thread a spin wich should result in both: happy supporters & happy armbian user :)

7 hours ago, 8BALL_SA said:

I have tried several different SD cards, from Class 4 for Class 10, from different manufacturers and have the same prob

Thats the first part where problems can start: 

• According to the 'getting started' guide there are three showed SD cards which should work (Samsung Evo, Transcend Ultimate 600x & SanDisk Extreme Pro, all 16gb). Do you own one of these? If yes, you should go further with it and not using other cards as long as you have stability issues.
  • If you have such a card, do the F3 or H2testw (getting started explains why)
  • keep the system as easy as possible until you get your first stable results. IMO the simplest set-up is: Opi Lite, trusted SD-Card, Powersource & and the server image). 

@Igor: Cause I don't own a opi lite, is it possible debug via RX/TX & ground pins on the 40pin header or only via micro USB? 

From the minimal setup (if stable), you can start connect to network via wifi, than check if ssh runs stable and go further with your usb gadgets on the opi until you recognize that to much things are powered and you ran into stability issues. 

On 20. 6. 2017 at 9:38 AM, 8BALL_SA said:

Using the network manager, if I disable and then enable the wifi then everything works for a while.

It looks like a network-manager issue. I could reproduce ... but it only failing when trying to connect from windows machine :) while working fine when connecting from Linux.

21 hours ago, Igor said:

It looks like a network-manager issue. I could reproduce ... but it only failing when trying to connect from windows machine :) while working fine when connecting from Linux.

I Igor

I agree that the problem might be with the network Manager. I also loose the ability ping the device from Windows and Linux after a while.

On 22/06/2017 at 5:50 PM, chwe said:

Just see here, how a support question can go terrible wrong if you start mixing up things. So I think you could agree that your thread shouldn't end like this one. So I wanna try to give this thread a spin wich should result in both: happy supporters & happy armbian user :)

Thats the first part where problems can start: 

• According to the 'getting started' guide there are three showed SD cards which should work (Samsung Evo, Transcend Ultimate 600x & SanDisk Extreme Pro, all 16gb). Do you own one of these? If yes, you should go further with it and not using other cards as long as you have stability issues.
  • If you have such a card, do the F3 or H2testw (getting started explains why)
  • keep the system as easy as possible until you get your first stable results. IMO the simplest set-up is: Opi Lite, trusted SD-Card, Powersource & and the server image). 

@Igor: Cause I don't own a opi lite, is it possible debug via RX/TX & ground pins on the 40pin header or only via micro USB? 

From the minimal setup (if stable), you can start connect to network via wifi, than check if ssh runs stable and go further with your usb gadgets on the opi until you recognize that to much things are powered and you ran into stability issues. 

Hi chwe

All the sdcards past with H2testw. some of them are a bit slow. I have ordered some new ones and will let you know what happens with the new cards when they get here.

Hi

Using a new Sandisk Ultra 16GB.
Booted just fine (Desktop Image v5.30).

Setup the wifi (using armbian-config)

Did an update.

Connected to the OrangePi Lite via SSH (from a Linux machine.)

After about 10 min the SSH connection hung and I can no longer ping the Orange Pi - Lite.

Same result as with the old SD cards...

Hi 

I have gone through the links above and have had no luck. For some reason, I can get the wpa_suppliant deamon to start.

wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start

My interfaces file looks like this

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
 wpa-ssid NewNet
 wpa-psk f2d5ccec8d036ac31e133fa317364b10f3f677d42ae51a310d09ae4093d2fc85
#wireless-mode Managed
#wireless-power off

# put this into /etc/network/interfaces
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
# put this into /etc/network/interfaces

# execute:

wpa_passphrase SSID password > /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
service network-manager stop
ifup wlan0

I am also testing ... let's see.

Hi Igor

I'm running the server version at the moment.

I have the interface up and running. SSH seems stable. I have un-installed the network manager and everything still works. 

Will test for another day and the try installing the desktop again.

Yes, I had the same experiences. No problems without network-manager ... went back in it now and let's see.

One diff that was noticed - dunno if it has any relevance:

Spoiler

root@orangepilite:~# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         gateway         0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 wlan0
link-local      *               255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 wlan0
172.16.100.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 wlan0

root@orangepilite:# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         gateway         0.0.0.0         UG    600    0        0 wlan0
link-local      *               255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 wlan0
172.16.100.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     600    0        0 wlan0

On 26.6.2017 at 8:12 PM, Igor said:

One diff that was noticed - dunno if it has any relevance:

Did you test with NM adjusting the route metric? Get the UUID using nmcli connection and then

nmcli connection modify uuid $uuid ipv4.route-metric 0

If output from route doesn't reflect the change afterwards NM needs to be restarted.

34 minutes ago, Igor said:

Jessie's network manager can't do this

Hehe, 'Debian stable' at it's best ;)

IMO it would be worth a try to check if it's related to route metrics or not. Might require adjusting this manually (adding a new one and deleting the old one). Adopted example aunt Google found:

sudo route add -net default gw 10.10.0.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 dev wlan0 metric 0
sudo route del -net default gw 10.10.0.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 dev wlan0 metric 600

I changed metric to zero successfully on Ubuntu but no change in stability.  I am now trying to upgrade dependencies to install NM v1.8 

... but I think this is a bit too harsh. I hope Debian Stretch's  NM works well? 

One more findings - when disabling and enabling wifi connection it start to work instantly.

On 22.6.2017 at 8:15 PM, Igor said:

but it only failing when trying to connect from windows machine :) while working fine when connecting from Linux.

Is this still correct description of the symptoms? A Windows box can't even ping the device while a Linux host on the same network can?

Just now, tkaiser said:

Is this still correct description of the symptoms? A Windows box can't even ping the device while a Linux host on the same network can?

Not 100% sure but it looks so. I'll proceed with this later on ...

Hmm... I have no real Windows boxes here and my knowledge is a bit limited on this platform. But if pings really start to stop working while at the same time the OPi Lite still can access the network then my next steps would be a Windows and a separate Linux box and then collecting

• 'ipconfig /all'/ifconfig on all 3 boxes
  • 'arp -a' before and after on all three machines
  • 'ARP ping'/arpping using the MAC address when the IP address becomes inaccessible

Since this is link local networking I can't imagine routes having an impact but we already dealt with similar symptoms that were partially caused by routing gone wrong on the Windows box.