Pine64-mainline: Can't use the lower USB-Port as a USB port

linda

I read in the documentation for the mainline kernel that the upper USB port is configured as OTG by default.
("It’s possible to convert the upper USB port (normally an OTG port) into a full USB host port using an own PHY by setting some magic bits.")
See also the post of thkaiser: https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/1917-armbian-running-on-pine64-and-other-a64h5-devices/&tab=comments#comment-15074

Because I can use the upper USB port, I assume the "magic bits" were configured.

But I had problems with the lower USB-Port. The output of "lsusb" gave me:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

(while the output of "lsusb" with the legacy kernel is
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub)

So if I connect a USB-device to the upper USB port, the device is identified correctly.
But if I connect an usb device to the lower USB port, nothing happens.

First of all: Thank you very much and of course you are right, it's reversed.

Unfortunatly I'm not able to build my own kernel.

Therefore I have to ask you when a kernel with this commit will be availabe for testing.

[I can only upgrade to the kernel: "Linux pine64 4.11.10-sun50iw1 #3 SMP Thu Aug 3 11:15:06 CEST 2017"

I was under the impression that there were nightly builds but I can't find any newer version in this directory (https://dl.armbian.com/pine64/nightly/)

34 minutes ago, linda said:

I was under the impression that there were nightly builds but I can't find any newer version in this directory

We stop producing nightly images for various reasons, while we do kernel rebuilding every night. Currently, it's disabled due to major changes and will be enabled back ASAP. In this case, you only need to switch to the beta repository and update standard way. 

Thank you for the information about the nightly builds.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought I'm using the beta repsoitory in the case of mainline kernel

("deb http://beta.armbian.com xenial main utils xenial-desktop")

The update standard way ("apt upgrade") installed this version "Linux pine64 4.11.10-sun50iw1 #3 SMP Thu Aug 3 11:15:06 CEST 2017",

- as fas as I can see this kernel doesnt't include he modification above, so the upper usb port doesn't work.

I would like to thank very much for the help regarding the usb port and I'm looking forward to try the new version.

Do I have to use another repository (or upgrade settings?) to obtain newest kernel with the commit above?

Just now, linda said:

I would like to thank very much for the help regarding the usb port and I'm looking forward to try the new version.

Do I have to use another repository (or upgrade settings?) to obtain newest kernel with the commit above?

This is it. beta.armbian.com ... it was last updated 3.8.

I'll check and rebuild it now. It will take a couple of hours to finish.