BananaPro won't power off

Fireball

Hi,

i switched from Bananian Linux to Armbian xenial due to reaching its "end of life". Everything is working except it wont power off the system after a shutdown neither will it reboot properly.  Hope someone could help me?

1 hour ago, Fireball said:

Hi,

i switched from Bananian Linux to Armbian xenial due to reaching its "end of life". Everything is working except it wont power off the system after a shutdown neither will it reboot properly.  Hope someone could help me?

Which kernel and what is your configuration? How to do you power your board? Do you have a battery ... 

OK. There is a problem with a wireless driver which is bad quality and nobody is fixing it anymore. Its known to hang at unloading and then watchdog restart the board.

If you remove ap6211 from /etc/modules ... power off will work.

If you don't need video acceleration functions move rather to a modern kernel, which is a much better overall condition.

12 minutes ago, manuti said:

I use the OMV armbian based images from @tkaiser and I don't have this problem.

Only relevant difference is kernel version (mainline vs. legacy -- see Igor's explanation above) and since @Fireball already uses Xenial I would recommend to simply give the appropriate 'Xenial next' image from here a try: https://dl.armbian.com/bananapipro/

Thanks for the many tips. I will test it with removing the drivers first, I have read that they are problematic, but not during the power off. If this works i'll try it with 'Xenial next' kernel. 

@tkaiser

Or do you mean the whole image? Are the wifi modules only in the image?

@Igor

Is the Mali 400MP2 GPU not supported in the modern kernels? Or why do i lose "video acceleration functions"? Will it be later implemented?

MALI has nothing to do with video acceleration - is a 3D engine, useful for gaming etc. It's unlikely that will ever hit mainline kernel while video acceleration, which we use is open source. Some day will also work on modern kernel too.

Wireless driver on the modern kernel is better for this chip, so you should be able to use it.