NEW SD cards - only 1 partition

balbes150

I recently got some new SD cards. When try using them, I found a strange behavior of these SD cards. They allow you to create ONLY one partition on it. When you try to burn the image, the image is written correctly, no error messages. With this SD card, you can activate the multi-boot. But when I try to start the system or to verify the data in the second partition on the SD card, I discover that the partition is created but data is not available (section is blank, no file system). If a single partition (the whole size of the SD card), the data be read and written to the entire size of the SD card. So for all who have problems running from an SD card or Armbian Librelec, I recommend to check the data on the second partition, the Second partition should be mounted well and the data should be easy to read and enroll.

7 hours ago, balbes150 said:

I found a strange behavior of these SD cards. They allow you to create ONLY one partition on it.

So SD cards became intelligent in the meantime and know what a partition table is? No, impossible. :)

Which tool did you use to write the image, how does F3 or H2testw test results for each card look like and what does 'armbianmonitor -u' reports (the '### mmc' section)?

On 22.10.2017 at 5:20 PM, chwe said:

which brands? models? Would be interesting so that others can try to reproduce your findings.

Brenda no, nonam. Cards was bought on aliexpress for a quick test.

On 22.10.2017 at 6:36 PM, tkaiser said:

So SD cards became intelligent in the meantime and know what a partition table is?

Judging by the behavior of the maps - yes, know and are able to work on only one partition. :rolleyes:

On 22.10.2017 at 6:36 PM, tkaiser said:

Which tool did you use to write the image, how does F3 or H2testw test results for each card look like and what does 'armbianmonitor -u' reports (the '### mmc' section)?

For the record I tried different options (dd and specialized utilities in different Linux distributions), the result is always the same. Section, as it is created, but access to it and data on it - no. To create partitions I use regular Linux utilities (fdisk and parted\gparted). Standard tools in Windows 7 to create on the SD card two partitions, I do not know. I repeat. Media size corresponds to the declared. So check the software H2testw and other have no problems. If you create a single partition on the entire capacity of data is recorded for the entire amount. Only one problem - it is impossible to create two or more partitions on the SD card.

It looks like internal card controller reads MBR to get the idea how much area is left for "overprovisioning", assuming the card should have only one partition. Sounds quite improbable, most likely you still missed something in your checks.

But if it is possible, try to create a GPT partitioning on the card, make the controller look fool, Protective MBR on it will cover all the card, but real partitions will be actually GPT ones. Make a few of them and try to use them. I don't know if there are tools for that. I used my own program to do that with an SD card. But the linux image supplied with Beagle Bone Black I tried with, saw those partititions and I was able to access them.