h3disp: change display settings on H3 devices

On 01.09.2016 at 12:13 PM, userz said:

OK. Thanks for quick answer. It is really too much offtopic, because any of great working h3disp modes (480..576...720...1080) cannot kill overscanning. And problem still alive. To understand the problem see schematic pict in 480 mode.

post-2113-0-25180300-1472713812_thumb.jpg

Good day!

I have the same problem on my Samsung plasmaTV in HD (720p native) and other modes.
I read all topic, i tried to change all possible config's but still have overscan problem.

Does anybody has solution ?

6 hours ago, EvgeniK45 said:

Does anybody has solution ?

There is a solution from some time, but i haven't test it myself. Here you go - [Program] Move Composite AV Video Output to fix Overscanning. It is not very nice solution. By my opinion, this have to be integrated in drivers as clear functionality. But is something. And nobody care about legacy kernel anymore, while new ones are far away from support all the features. So better clone this git somewhere - https://code.nwrk.biz/allwinner_tvout_manipulator.git and preserve it.

1 hour ago, RagnerBG said:

There is a solution from some time, but i haven't test it myself. Here you go - [Program] Move Composite AV Video Output to fix Overscanning. It is not very nice solution. By my opinion, this have to be integrated in drivers as clear functionality. But is something. And nobody care about legacy kernel anymore, while new ones are far away from support all the features. So better clone this git somewhere - https://code.nwrk.biz/allwinner_tvout_manipulator.git and preserve it.

Thanks for the reply, but I use HDMI, did you think this will work?

4 hours ago, EvgeniK45 said:

Thanks for the reply, but I use HDMI, did you think this will work?

For HDMI, use your TV menu, there is no need to make it through software and the results will not be that good (blurry picture). There have to be some option - "pixel format", or "picture size". For Samsung tv, use - "fit to picture".

18 hours ago, RagnerBG said:

For HDMI, use your TV menu, there is no need to make it through software and the results will not be that good (blurry picture). There have to be some option - "pixel format", or "picture size". For Samsung tv, use - "fit to picture".

It must be easy, but unfortunately the TV is not very new, and have not this menu items (((

14 minutes ago, vr@m said:

Is this tool compatible with the debian 3.4x that comes with the nanopi M1?

No.

FriendlyARM produces nice boards but their software support is very basic. Some would simply say - it sucks. They use the kernel from chip maker which never received any fix or update. It's a common "feature" of most board makers since they usually can't allocate/afford to provide good (Linux = community-based) software on their own. It costs much more than designing a hardware. Armbian project was started because there is a need. A need to have a good, much better Linux on those boards than board makers can provide. (initially, there was a personal need only for one particular board)

In Allwinner community I have to mention a group/project Linux- sunxi who is focused mostly on low-level drivers and mainlining. Armbian is somehow mixed with this group since we do similar stuff but our focus goes from kernel drivers to userspace. Our output is a clean Debian like Linux distribution and powerful tools to make it. The result is on a much higher level than anything from board makers whatever they name it: Raspbian, Ubuntu Core, ... and even something provided from mainstream distributions. That latter is anyway barely existing.

Bottom line. You are wasting time using their images. They have to make them to sell boards which apparently can run "Debian" "Ubuntu" or whatever but after that ... they move to new design. Community/we support boards for years. For example, we still support Cubietruck, which is already around for 4 years and H3 chip will surely be supported many many years. It's popular. Modern kernel (4.13.x) is getting on those boards which means another big jump forward. Board makers are not much present in this game.

On 10/14/2017 at 7:25 PM, Igor said:

No.

FriendlyARM produces nice boards but their software support is very basic. Some would simply say - it sucks. They use the kernel from chip maker which never received any fix or update. It's a common "feature" of most board makers since they usually can't allocate/afford to provide good (Linux = community-based) software on their own. It costs much more than designing a hardware. Armbian project was started because there is a need. A need to have a good, much better Linux on those boards than board makers can provide. (initially, there was a personal need only for one particular board)

In Allwinner community I have to mention a group/project Linux- sunxi who is focused mostly on low-level drivers and mainlining. Armbian is somehow mixed with this group since we do similar stuff but our focus goes from kernel drivers to userspace. Our output is a clean Debian like Linux distribution and powerful tools to make it. The result is on a much higher level than anything from board makers whatever they name it: Raspbian, Ubuntu Core, ... and even something provided from mainstream distributions. That latter is anyway barely existing.

Bottom line. You are wasting time using their images. They have to make them to sell boards which apparently can run "Debian" "Ubuntu" or whatever but after that ... they move to new design. Community/we support boards for years. For example, we still support Cubietruck, which is already around for 4 years and H3 chip will surely be supported many many years. It's popular. Modern kernel (4.13.x) is getting on those boards which means another big jump forward. Board makers are not much present in this game.

I guess he ment the tool pointed out by @RagnerBG:

Yes this tool should be compatible with any kernel version, because it is directly mapping and manipulating hardware registers responsible for the composite video output. This is more a hack, but it works.