orange pi one general performance? Browser performance?

renky

I have tested the orange pi one xenial. When I say test it is not benchmark tests. I do not know what the numbers say anyway. I open several common

programs and watch what htop says. If I run an mp4 file on a media player, libre office and file manager it runs well and

htop says about 300mb.

It is a 10usd computer and I do not expect it to equal a x86 desktop.

If I open firefox, firefox crashes before starting. Because of not enough ram?

If I open chromium or midori ram usage goes to 100%. Cpu does not. You cannot really browse sites very well.

Youtube videos is the same. Is it becuase 512mb ram is not enough?

On my gnulinux x86 notebook firefox commonly uses several hundred mb.

Is there a browser I can install which will make it possible to play a youtube video?

Thank you.

20 minutes ago, renky said:

Is there a browser I can install which will make it possible to play a youtube video?

No. Not on any ARM board. Android only. But you can play youtube outside browser.

And yes, you don't have enough memory.

40 minutes ago, renky said:

The rock64 and rockpro64 can have 4gb ram

There, Firefox won't crash due to "out of memory"

41 minutes ago, renky said:

I would expect to be able to display youtube

That has nothing to do with memory.  If you want to play youtube videos on your 512MB Orange Pi one, use search. It is possible.

Providing video accelerating videos within the Chromium is a complicated and expensive problem. That's why this is n/a.

21 hours ago, renky said:

I have tested the orange pi one xenial. ..

You can check a two years old video recorded with the Orange Pi One at the same time I do some test. Firefox have some issues unresolved with ARM so you can't use today.

9 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

At least on Raspberries with Chromium, 256 GB 'GPU memory' allocation and h264ify plugin it works HW accelerated (video decoding done on the VideoCore IV).

Well, yes. But this can be called a workaround. IIRC I saw a similar approach on Odroid XU4 or Cubox-i stock builds on their legacy kernels. Having a plugin which opens an external video player is already a step forward. Some people would already be happy.

On 8/26/2018 at 12:55 PM, Igor said:

Not on any ARM board

Actually, you can have a smooth experience with video up to 1080p@30 in Chromium, with RK3288 boards and Odroid XU4. Armbian kernels already support it, and my media scripts will configure all the userspace stuff and make it work out of the box.

@tkaiser said in other post that we should add this to the docs, but I was shy to do it since so far the scripts are not official part of Armbian, but just community-supported. So what is the best way to proceed: maybe put it in the docs, clarifying that only the kernel side is supported by Armbian, while the userspace is community work?

53 minutes ago, JMCC said:

So what is the best way to proceed: maybe put it in the docs, clarifying that only the kernel side is supported by Armbian, while the userspace is community work?

IMO it's worth to mention that it does work at all (see Igor and me spreading BS). Some sort of a status map with info on which board families such 'multimedia' features already work with links to forum threads with details should IMO be sufficient.

elaborate more, please

I take interest in if a piece of software is free software cf free software foundation. You say:

you can have a smooth experience with video up to 1080p@30 in Chromium, with RK3288 boards and Odroid XU4. Armbian kernels already support it

What I want to know is, the piece of armbian kernel software which enables rk3288 to display 1080p

video, is it free software?

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, renky said:

the piece of armbian kernel software which enables rk3288 to display 1080p

video, is it free software?

Yes it is:

http://opensource.rock-chips.com/wiki_Mpp#Mpp_Kernel_Driver

[EDIT]: To be more specific, the video decoder is all open source, as you can see in the link above. But the display driver that allows that video to show in an accelerated layer on your screen, has a small open-source part in the kernel, and a big non-free part of firmware and userspace libs: https://developer.arm.com/products/software/mali-drivers/video-drivers

On 8/30/2018 at 3:30 PM, tkaiser said:

IMO it's worth to mention that it does work at all (see Igor and me spreading BS). Some sort of a status map with info on which board families such 'multimedia' features already work with links to forum threads with details should IMO be sufficient.

:ph34r:

just needs updates from time to time.. ;) but everyone with edit rights can do it, or send me a PM when needed.. I don't even own a spare HDMI display at the moment so I can't test 'multimedia'... :lol:

agree with @tkaiser a new section could be created in docs, perhaps call that FAQ

it should perhaps be a different section from troubleshooting faq (the subject headline in the main text is more appropriate for that section's menu: Hardware troubleshooting guide)

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Basic-Troubleshooting/

'advanced features' could be moved further below

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Advanced-Features/

so that FAQ can sit in that place

a lot of it relates to apps (e.g. youtube in chromium / firefox, and even possibly the chromium / firefox etc) than the o/s, board etc

there is this thread on the tinkerboard community forum

https://www.tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-832.html

apparently quite a lot of people use their tinkerboard as a desktop substitute or some kind of media pc (web browsing, youtube browsing, kodi etc)

but of course tinkerboard rk3288 is much faster than h3, but the price of tinkerboard is about > 3x to 4x orange pi one

orange pi one / orange pi pc H3 my guess has 2 groups of users - the 'iot' group who use it 'headless' unfortunately i think this is the minority

and the conventional group who use it as a desktop substitute, i.e. the 'desktop' users

an faq addressing applications shortcomings would help with this 'conventional' group