1 1
gounthar

Sunvell H3 2GB RAM + 16GB ROM TV Box

28 minutes ago, gounthar said:

I bought today a Sunvell H3 2GB RAM + 16GB ROM TV Box.

Advertised as Android 7 capable so it must be running with Allwinner's 4.4 kernel which is bad news since not supporting voltage regulation any more (same with Libre Computer Tritium boards): https://github.com/Allwinner-Homlet/H3-BSP4.4-linux/issues/1 -- be prepared that maximum cpufreq is lower than any of the older H3 boards.

Device tree settings from this Allwinner BSP kernel (and most probably u-boot too) are incompatible with mainline stuff so good luck with extracting settings and transforming them into something suitable for Linux (applies also to DRAM timings). How fast is the 16 GB eMMC? Which wireless chip?

In the past with Allwinner H3 based TV boxes it was rather easy to get them supported in Armbian since it was reading out the proprietary fex stuff and then adjusting few bits. Could be done for the legacy Allwinner kernel even without having the device in front of you (see Sunvell R69) but the situation with boards based on the new BSP is entirely different.

And I don't know who is still interested in Allwinner H3 here (at least me definitely not :) )

20 hours ago, tkaiser said:

And I don't know who is still interested in Allwinner H3 here (at least me definitely not :) )

I am still interested in it. Fast enough for lots of my uses. I use an OrangePi Zero with 512Mb, and it is sometimes not enough.
We'll see what this box is capable of, but I was tempted by 4 times the amount of memory I use on the Zero.