6 6
Learnincurve

Pine A64 MIPI DSI mainline

Does the screen display anything when it intitialises, early in the uboot process, or is garbage the first thing you see?  Also, do you see anything in the xorg logs that would give you more information?

Armbian is a community driven open source project. Do you like to contribute your code?
On 5/25/2020 at 1:14 PM, Learnincurve said:

Does the screen display anything when it intitialises, early in the uboot process, or is garbage the first thing you see?  Also, do you see anything in the xorg logs that would give you more information?

Sadly that is what it show even during the uboot phase.

About xorg, I don't have any X server installed at the moment (to keep the dmesg a bit cleaner... with Xorg installed it was really a mess...)

Do you suggest to make some other try with it installed?

Thanks

Cheers Mix

12 hours ago, mix359 said:

Sadly that is what it show even during the uboot phase.

About xorg, I don't have any X server installed at the moment (to keep the dmesg a bit cleaner... with Xorg installed it was really a mess...)

Do you suggest to make some other try with it installed?

Thanks

Cheers Mix

Not really. I was just wondering whether it was an xorg issue, but if the message is from uboot, then you are right that something is wrong at a deeper level.  Guess we'll just have to wait a little longer.

Despite reading the Armbian Documentation many times, I'm still really hazy about applying the uboot video mode options:

How to reconfigure video output?

This affect current kernel only.

U-Boot supports HDMI and LCD output on Allwinner sunxi SoCs, LCD output requires the CONFIG_VIDEO_LCD_MODE Kconfig value to be set.

The sunxi U-Boot driver supports the following video-mode options:

monitor=[none|dvi|hdmi|lcd|vga|composite-*] - Select the video output to use

none: Disable video output.

dvi/hdmi: Selects output over the hdmi connector with dvi resp. hdmi output format, if edid is used the format is automatically selected.

lcd: Selects video output to a LCD screen.

vga: Selects video output over the VGA connector.

composite-pal/composite-ntsc/composite-pal-m/composite-pal-nc: Selects composite video output, note the specified resolution is ignored with composite video output.

Defaults to monitor=dvi.

hpd=[0|1] - Enable use of the HDMI HotPlug Detect feature 0: Disabled. Configure DVI/HDMI output even if no cable is detected 1: Enabled. Fallback to the LCD / VGA / none in that order (if available) Defaults to hpd=1.

hpd_delay=<int> - How long to wait for the HDMI HPD signal in milliseconds When the monitor and the board power up at the same time, it may take some time for the monitor to assert the HPD signal. This configures how long to wait for the HPD signal before assuming no cable is connected. Defaults to hpd_delay=500.

edid=[0|1] - Enable use of DDC + EDID to get monitor info 0: Disabled. 1: Enabled. If valid EDID info was read from the monitor the EDID info will overrides the xres, yres and refresh from the video-mode env. variable. Defaults to edid=1.

overscan_x/overscan_y=<int> - Set x/y overscan value This configures a black border on the left and right resp. top and bottom to deal with overscanning displays. Defaults to overscan_x=32 and overscan_y=20 for composite monitors, 0 for other monitors.

For example to always use the HDMI connector, even if no cable is inserted, using edid info when available and otherwise initalizing it at 1024x768@60Hz, use: setenv video-mode sunxi:1024x768-24@60,monitor=dvi,hpd=0,edid=0.

Parameters regarding video must be saved into U-Boot environment file since they must be read before reading boot script. You can do this by adding saveenv command at the end of boot script (boot.cmd). Remember to recompile boot.cmd to boot.scr and note that changes will come into action after second boot.

Cheers! 

So I finally tried installing the latest 5.4.43 build from Armbian.

I applied your overlay, compiled and loaded from armbianEnv.txt and added the 

setenv video-mode sunxi:1024x600,monitor=lcd,hpd=0,edid=1

line.

For me, the backlight works, but nothing else does.

I decompiled the /boot/dtb/allwinner/sun50i-a64-pine64.dtb file,

changed the

dsi@1ca0000 {
                        compatible = "allwinner,sun50i-a64-mipi-dsi";
                        reg = <0x1ca0000 0x1000>;
                        interrupts = <0x00 0x59 0x04>;
                        clocks = <0x02 0x1c>;
                        resets = <0x02 0x05>;
                        phys = <0x41>;
                        phy-names = "dphy";
                        status = "disabled";
                        #address-cells = <0x01>;
                        #size-cells = <0x00>;
                        phandle = <0x84>;

port {

endpoint {
                                        remote-endpoint = <0x42>;
                                        phandle = <0x1e>;
                                };
                        };
                };

section to

dsi@1ca0000 {
                        compatible = "allwinner,sun50i-a64-mipi-dsi";
                        reg = <0x1ca0000 0x1000>;
                        interrupts = <0x00 0x59 0x04>;
                        clocks = <0x02 0x1c>;
                        resets = <0x02 0x05>;
                        phys = <0x41>;
                        phy-names = "dphy";
                        status = "enabled";
                        #address-cells = <0x01>;
                        #size-cells = <0x00>;
                        phandle = <0x84>;

port {

endpoint {
                                        remote-endpoint = <0x42>;
                                        phandle = <0x1e>;
                                };
                        };
                };

I couldn't find any other references in that file

and recompiled it.

dmesg | grep dsi lists nothing, while

dmesg | grep mipi
[    3.505719] vcc-mipi: Bringing 2900000uV into 3300000-3300000uV
[    6.603912] Modules linked in: cpufreq_dt zram sch_fq_codel  g_serial libcomposite ip_tables x_tables autofs4 realtek axp20x_usb_power pinctrl_axp209 axp20x_regulator phy_sun6i_mipi_dphy dwmac_sun8i mdio_mux i2c_mv64xxx pwm_bl

and 

dmesg | grep display
root@pine64:~# dmesg | grep drm
[    5.394228] systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Load Kernel Module drm being skipped.

I also tried adding

feiyang_fy07024di26a30

and sun6i_mipi_dsi

to /etc/modules.

with same result.

So we are at least some people, who still wants to get the feiyang display getting work on the pine64.

@Learnincurve

Looks like the kernel 5.4 has not all bits to get it work.

With the 5.6 kernel we are at the same state as 2 years before. The whole DE-pipeline is recognized, but the panel remains out of order because of the vblank issue.

@Gavinb

Could you do us a favor an test the panel wit the 5.6 kernel? If it is working we could maybe find out the differences.

I comment some findings at your github tree for the display patch.

The option that I see, we are have now:

Asking on irc channel of linux-sunix or the linux-sunxi mailinglist how the vblank isusse can be debugged.

Any improvements?

If you can share a dts/dtb and current instructions, I will try to take time in the coming days to test on my board and panel.