New forum member, cannot reply to a post

danboid

I've just signed up to this forum. I can create new threads yet I cannot reply to others posts under both FF and Chrome. I don't see a reply button on any thread after signing in, nor do I see a FAQ for this forum that may deal with such questions.

Am I being blind?

EDIT

I can't even reply to my own (this) thread.

Edited by danboid

Hi.  This seems like an incredible newbie question.

I created a forum account a couple days ago, including validating my email.  My profile says that my status is "Validating".

But, I don't seem to be able to respond to an existing post to ask a question.  There are no "reply" buttons on the existing post, like I see on other forums.

I can post a new topic (like this one).  But I do see a popup that says that "Your content will need to be approved by a moderator"

Am I missing something?  Do I need an additional validation of some sort to reply to posts?

Do I just need to wait another day?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, danboid said:

writing replies on this forum is buggy

We use forum software as is. If it has bugs, there is virtually nothing we can do except rant at their support and wait that is fixed.

3 hours ago, chwe said:

might be related to recent changes?

Yes. Validated guests can't reply in Technical support section, but they can open a new topic - if they supply required informations. It's one of many SPAM defence/"please don't waste our time" measurements which always came with unfortunate side effects. Perhaps some additional notes?

36 minutes ago, Igor said:

Perhaps some additional notes?

at least yes! I think we should keep an eye on this.. In case it produces more work than the behavior before we should revert it. I'm not a fan of restrictions.. People may just spam somewhere else in the forum to get 'post rights' in tech support and then floating it anyway. I assume it could be a 'feature' which we've to explain on a weekly basis cause people normally don't read those additional notes..

This restriction does make it difficult to create a dialog about issues.  I have comments I'd like to reply regarding the SoPine Clusterboard network issue reported recently but replies are blocked.  Starting a new topic for every reply doesn't seem very productive.

I understand the spam issue - but treating the disease by shooting the patient seems a bit extreme.

56 minutes ago, PigLover said:

but treating the disease by shooting the patient seems a bit extreme.

We can only treat side effects of the cure we made. If you are dying from 3rd party disease or side effects and want help, you will certainly die since here are not enough doctors to cure. 

I removed this obstacle, because we decided to deal with this problem differently. More efficient.