OrangePi 3

fishwolf

3 hours ago, fishwolf said:

can i use now or in the future use arbiam with the new orange pi 3?

Thanks

You can build a working WiP image. Not everything works, but it's already better than anything from Orange Pi.
https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

still awaiting this board which also has an allwinner H6 chip and comes from same factory.

Hope the chips can be cooled down properly for production purposes ( 24/7 )

especially when speed will be increased to 1,8GHz as vendor does not supply a decent cooling solution as far I can see things.

1 hour ago, dolphs said:

still awaiting this board which also has an allwinner H6 chip and comes from same factory.

Hope the chips can be cooled down properly for production purposes ( 24/7 )

especially when speed will be increased to 1,8GHz as vendor does not supply a decent cooling solution as far I can see things.

As Igor said, the software isn't ready for anything serious.
I don't have the OPi 1+, I do have the OPi3. I've done some first tests with it. With Armbian I could run it well at 1.8Ghz. But there is a bit of a problem cooling this SoC.
It's so small that it seemingly can't dissipate heat well in a heatsink. The chip quickly heats up in a second to +70C, but the heatsink stays cool for a long while. This with heatsinks with doublesided sticky tape. So this could be improved upon. But it's not an ideal board to use thermal paste.
I haven't seen this behaviour before with other SoC's. I believe this is the reason why Orange Pi underclock their images. First it throttled at 60C to 1.5Ghz. Now you can't even go to 1.8Ghz anymore on theirs. Very bad performance...
With Armbian no problem, good performance, but still many things don't work well enough.
For production purposes I would use another board. It depends on what the needs are. Best to use something older that's proven to be ok. And a SoC that can be easily cooled.

3 hours ago, NicoD said:

As Igor said, the software isn't ready for anything serious.
I don't have the OPi 1+, I do have the OPi3. I've done some first tests with it. With Armbian I could run it well at 1.8Ghz. But there is a bit of a problem cooling this SoC.
It's so small that it seemingly can't dissipate heat well in a heatsink. The chip quickly heats up in a second to +70C, but the heatsink stays cool for a long while. This with heatsinks with doublesided sticky tape. So this could be improved upon. But it's not an ideal board to use thermal paste.
I haven't seen this behaviour before with other SoC's. I believe this is the reason why Orange Pi underclock their images. First it throttled at 60C to 1.5Ghz. Now you can't even go to 1.8Ghz anymore on theirs. Very bad performance...
With Armbian no problem, good performance, but still many things don't work well enough.
For production purposes I would use another board. It depends on what the needs are. Best to use something older that's proven to be ok. And a SoC that can be easily cooled.

i'm trying orange pi for experimental with opnecv, with raspberry is too sloowly.

where do i find the best arbiam image for orange pi3?

Thanks

If you don't care about poor performance and bugs but just want a precompiled image go for the ones Xulung provides themselves.

If you want better performance and don't care about bugs you have to build your own Armbian experimental image. Howto here: 

tl;dr: There is no best or even good image out there.

http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort

well have been testing it for ovpn purposes and that works well, till the moment a reboot is being sent - it won't come up at this stage ( kernel 5.0.4 ) .

This is known and hopefully a workaround/ decent solution will be there sooner or later. For now I stick with my H5 boards ( 1,3GHz )