Doopie

Odroid N2 Kernel>4.9 = No boot on USB SATA SSD

Hi i've tried everything now and really out of options and almost out of hair.....

Hardware:
32GB or 256GB Samsung EVO Plus Sd-Card
500GB Samsung USB SATA SSD (MU-PA500B)
Odroid N2 with the latest petit boot

All images with kernel 4.9 will boot straight of the SSD without a problem or much work.

But when i try images anything above 4.9 it won't boot , whatever i do:

What have i tried with the images with kernel 5.4X

1) Image straight to SSD Black screen nothing happens ( SPI or MMC mode makes no difference)
2) Image on Sd-card, boot into Armbian and use :sudo armbian-config
    * System --> Install - installs to SATA, eMMC, NAND or USB --> Boot from SD : System on SATA or USB.--> wait for about 8 minutes and reboot. Dead...black screen
3) Flash image with 4.9X kernel directly on SSD, boot into Armbian. Use : sudo armbian-config and change kernel there and reboot. Dead...black screen

Flipping the switches from SPI to MMC and back doesn't help.

Piteboot does not have the correct system startup priority. If you install a modified version of uboot-SPI in SPI, you can start the system directly from USB (the polling order will be USB - > SD - > eMMC - > piteboot).

On 3/31/2020 at 3:48 PM, Doopie said:

Hi i've tried everything now and really out of options and almost out of hair.....

I might face the same troubles like you, described here FYI:

I'm using Armbian_20.02.3_Odroidn2_bionic_current_5.4.21_minimal.img

Two updates on top of that thread:

- I'm waiting for the serial cable, found a merchant with quicker delivery -> that shall help better understand what is going on under the hood

- I tested with a USB flash drive and managed to move my system from SD to there. That worked without any glitch. Therefore I suppose there is a real problem with the USB/SATA handling itself...

Same for me. I tried to move my data to a Usb-SSD but got basically the same result. Black screen and no boot. Im on latest upgrade too:

root@OdroidN2:/# uname -a
Linux OdroidN2 5.4.28-meson64 #20.02.8 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 30 09:12:52 CEST 2020 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I have found depending on the monitor being used SPI will not find it when leaving program. Once the blue led heartbeat is flashing turn your monitor/tv off, wait a sec or two and turn it back on. This works for me even with Retro Arena and an old plasma tv installed on a usb ssd. I run 2 card readers and 2 usb ssd"s plugged in and can boot any of them from SPI.

On 3/31/2020 at 3:48 PM, Doopie said:

Finally I made this work with Armbian_20.02.5_Odroidn2_buster_legacy_4.9.216, basically can confirm your experience.

What is still strange, how come the 5.x kernel works like a charm with a UFD stick, and fails to recognize the USB-SATA disk...

Are you aware of any bug being tracking for this one?

I'm getting out of ideas how to make more visibility for this. I reported here and other armbian forums, reddit, etc. but honestly not much has happened.

While I'm fine for now with the legacy kernel, that won't last forever.

How do you guys cope with this issue, until the linux devs (?) take care of it? If they will ever...