Armbian for Amlogic S912


chocho
 Share

2 2

Recommended Posts

Armbian is a community driven open source project. Do you like to contribute your code?

23 hours ago, gnthibault said:

Has someone been able to use the remote controller under armbian yet ? what would it require ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I can see with the dmesg command that I have pressed LG 26LG3000 remote controller. Using my custom balbes150 armbian 3.14.29 kernel and Debian testing Xfce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsNzZn-luc0

[ 1565.352988] remote: scancode is 0x0008,invalid key is 0x0000.
[ 1565.690377] remote: scancode is 0x0008,invalid key is 0x0000.
 

I have enabled AMlogic remote controller in the kernel, but I am not using Sunvell T95Z Plus infrared remote controller, because I have a mini wireless keyboard/touchpad with 2.4Ghz usb adapter and it works ok, except it must be close (less than 50 cm)  to the tvbox and have direct view to the usb adapter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Test Assembly for s912.

https://yadi.sk/d/HWf1_w123KhtER

 

libreelec newes version for s912

 

On 3.07.2017 at 0:15 PM, nodymoha said:

I hope we will get better driver support for Linux after the release of Khadas VIM2 (Developing board based on Amlogic S912)

 

Can we use Android Mali drivers with libhybris? or that is not supported now?

 

Currently missing, I am also waiting for this version.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 06/07/2017 at 0:38 PM, Dariusz Biernat said:

 

libreelec newes version for s912

 

 

Currently missing, I am also waiting for this version.

Wait for the S912 open source Linux GPU accelerated driver can be long or never happen. Vim 2 board is not even in sale yet and open source community or Shenzhen Wesion do not have resources and skills. Arm should do the driver. The development of the Nouveau driver is slow and it performs poorly compared to the nvidia proprietary driver.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2017/07/02/the-first-amlogic-s912-development-board-is-coming-soon-with-khadas-vim2/

 

Librelec uses some hack to make the android gpu driver to work with 905.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if this is related to S912, but I can't use vncserver on the latest ubuntu image,

Is there a tutorial somwhere that explains how to get anything else than a grey screen when connecting to armbian through vncserver ?

 

Thank you in advance for your help

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, I have big problem with H96 Pro+ after Armbian Installation.

 

I made an Armbian SDCard and booted up to the BOX and after some testing, I decided to use "nand-sata-install" command.

After it was done, I reboot the Box but it doesn't boot. (No Signal on HDMI / Not recognized on PC usb port).

The power led blinks between red and blue continuously.

 

What can I do to recover it ? Can someone help me please ?

 

Thank you.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SilverC said:

Hi all, I have big problem with H96 Pro+ after Armbian Installation.

 

I made an Armbian SDCard and booted up to the BOX and after some testing, I decided to use "nand-sata-install" command.

After it was done, I reboot the Box but it doesn't boot. (No Signal on HDMI / Not recognized on PC usb port).

The power led blinks between red and blue continuously.

 

What can I do to recover it ? Can someone help me please ?

 

Thank you.

 

 

Why on earth did you that. From class 10 microsd card Debian testing Xfce runs fine. When you look at that script, you see sunxi comments often. Armbian does not support S912, so all emmc scripts are dangerous. Balbes150 s905_install.sh script looks much safer and probably works after editing or without.  Take a look of the nand-sata-install script if it has overwritten bootloader, if it is then things are more difficult.  Contact the manufacturer to get original firmware and instructions to flash it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys

 

So I tried some distros from balbes150 on my beelink GT1 A912 (2GB + 32GB)

 

  • Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20170705.img.xz << Boots correctly, lan, wifi (wifi_dummy), BT, audio, hdmi, usbs, all work "correctly" (I dont know what else should I check but this is what I got), video playback lags and even freezes the box (sometimes), however on chromium it played some videos correctly but lags a lot!
  • S9xxx_ArchLinux_20170617_3_14_29.img.xz << Boots correctly, I tried lan and wifi (which works apparently after installing iw wpa_supplicant and dialog for wifi-menu), I didnt continue any further because installing a gui got me into a black screen (could only get through ssh)
  • Armbian_5.27_S905X-S912_Ubuntu_xenial_4.9.26+_mate_20170519.img.xz AND Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_4.12.0+_mate_20170711.img.xz as well as S905X_S912_ArchLinux_20170519_4_9_26.img.xz << DID NOT BOOT, for some reason, I see my drive's LED blinking when I start the box, after that, the beelink logo disappears and I stay with a black screen. I tried putting beelink_gt1_g2.dtb / vega_s96 as dtb.img and in dtb folders but same results. Can someone explain why or show me how to workaround this?
  • LibreElec 8.0.2e << everything works oob but a bit sluggish

I use an external USB3.0 160GB HDD drive (I swapped the internal HDD with another one), and the image is written (img.xz) with gnome-disk-utility.

Just for information: I just found out that I can boot directly to any USB drive (ofc with the correct OS/files) without the toothpick method just by inserting the USB disk before plugging the power cord, the box should load the content of the USB automatically. I dont know if this happens for others but it's good to know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/07/2017 at 4:45 AM, gnthibault said:

I don't know if this is related to S912, but I can't use vncserver on the latest ubuntu image,

Is there a tutorial somwhere that explains how to get anything else than a grey screen when connecting to armbian through vncserver ?

 

Thank you in advance for your help

It always works with the instruction from below link

http://www.wolffhaven45.com/blog/linux/x11vnc-server-installation-ubuntu-16-04-xenial-xerus/

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 16/07/2017 at 0:09 AM, midi-sama said:

Hey guys

 

So I tried some distros from balbes150 on my beelink GT1 A912 (2GB + 32GB)

 

  • Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20170705.img.xz << Boots correctly, lan, wifi (wifi_dummy), BT, audio, hdmi, usbs, all work "correctly" (I dont know what else should I check but this is what I got), video playback lags and even freezes the box (sometimes), however on chromium it played some videos correctly but lags a lot!
  • S9xxx_ArchLinux_20170617_3_14_29.img.xz << Boots correctly, I tried lan and wifi (which works apparently after installing iw wpa_supplicant and dialog for wifi-menu), I didnt continue any further because installing a gui got me into a black screen (could only get through ssh)
  • Armbian_5.27_S905X-S912_Ubuntu_xenial_4.9.26+_mate_20170519.img.xz AND Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_4.12.0+_mate_20170711.img.xz as well as S905X_S912_ArchLinux_20170519_4_9_26.img.xz << DID NOT BOOT, for some reason, I see my drive's LED blinking when I start the box, after that, the beelink logo disappears and I stay with a black screen. I tried putting beelink_gt1_g2.dtb / vega_s96 as dtb.img and in dtb folders but same results. Can someone explain why or show me how to workaround this?
  • LibreElec 8.0.2e << everything works oob but a bit sluggish

I use an external USB3.0 160GB HDD drive (I swapped the internal HDD with another one), and the image is written (img.xz) with gnome-disk-utility.

Just for information: I just found out that I can boot directly to any USB drive (ofc with the correct OS/files) without the toothpick method just by inserting the USB disk before plugging the power cord, the box should load the content of the USB automatically. I dont know if this happens for others but it's good to know.

There is no gpu accelerated graphics for 912 in Linux drivers. Chromium uses all cpu cores for software rendering and that is why it works. Balbes 4.9 kernel does not have audio so it is unusable. Not worth to use or explain why it does not work. It must  take a long time with 160GB drive when the armbian expands the image at first boot. Many new boxes do have multiboot features, so toothpick is for some older boxes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could someone explain how to install ubuntu on the built in eMMC memory? 

 

I have tried both the mate and server 16.04 images from the freaktab thread, on sd card. And they work (except wifi)

 

But I'd like to run the OS directly from the built in memory. I don't care about overwriting Android 

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, ycomp said:

Could someone explain how to install ubuntu on the built in eMMC memory? 

 

I have tried both the mate and server 16.04 images from the freaktab thread, on sd card. And they work (except wifi)

 

But I'd like to run the OS directly from the built in memory. I don't care about overwriting Android 

Take a look of this script: https://github.com/150balbes/lib/blob/master/scripts/amlogic/905_install.sh

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

ycomp: when your are logged as root, just run the install script in /home/root as suggested by debianxfce.

My question is related to vnc, I always get grey window when connecting to the tightvnc server. I use the latest 3.14 Ubuntu Mate (16.04) desktop image, but I am not connecting my box to a display. Can someone give me an example of xstartup file that works ? What bothers me for the moment is that log does not show error, bu still nothing but a grey screen ...

Edit, here is the solution (yaaayyy!):

 

Setup password with

vncpasswd /etc/vnc/vncpasswd

 

Then add the following lines to /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf :


[VNCServer]
enabled=true
command=/usr/bin/Xvnc -rfbauth /etc/vnc/vncpasswd
port=5900
width=1280
height=1024
depth=24
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran the script as suggested, everything seemed to go fine - no error messages that I noticed (although I wasn't watching it the whole time). 

 

Then I removed my sd card and rebotted and it went to the android recovery screen. I chose reboot now and it booted back into the android recovery screen. So I chose boot to bootloader, and then the H96 logo just comes on and stays there.

 

Anyone know what I should do now?

 

p.s. was it a mistake to run the install script from a 64GB microsd card (it's the ubuntu mate armbian image installed on there)? I was thinking that wouldn't matter. But I'm not very good with linux. (BOOT 128MB, ROOTFS 59GB)

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ycomp said:

I ran the script as suggested, everything seemed to go fine - no error messages that I noticed (although I wasn't watching it the whole time). 

 

Then I removed my sd card and rebotted and it went to the android recovery screen. I chose reboot now and it booted back into the android recovery screen. So I chose boot to bootloader, and then the H96 logo just comes on and stays there.

 

Anyone know what I should do now?

 

p.s. was it a mistake to run the install script from a 64GB microsd card (it's the ubuntu mate armbian image installed on there)? I was thinking that wouldn't matter. But I'm not very good with linux. (BOOT 128MB, ROOTFS 59GB)

 

If the script is in android partition it would be overwritten, so sdcard is the right place to start it.

 

Do you have  working dtb.img and linux.img files at /BOOT?

IMAGE_KERNEL="/boot/linux.img"
  PART_ROOT="/dev/data"
  DIR_INSTALL="/ddbr/install"
  IMAGE_DTB="/boot/dtb.img"
 

Are destination paths correct in your device, like /dev/data and /dev/dtb. The bootloader stays in loop if there are files missing or the kernel does not boot. If you have the path to the emmc partition then you can run Debian commands with the chroot command to fix problems. This way chroot is used from a pc to a microsd card. I installed Debian testing Xfce amd64 version to it with sudo debootstrap testing /media/xfce/.

 

sudo mount -o exec /dev/sdb1 /media/xfce/

sudo chroot /media/xfce/ /bin/bash -c 'dpkg -i /tmp/firmware-amd-graphics_20161130-3_all.deb'

 

The update-initramfs command is useful to solve initrd boot problems.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I popped the sdcard back in (that has ubuntu w/mate), and it managed to boot up off that. Now I wonder if the script actually worked because lsblk doesn't seem to show any partitions for mmcblk0

 

I have working dtb.img and linux.img at /BOOT

 

What I meant about my question before about the 64GB sdcard was that emmc is 32, ROOTFS partition on the SD card is almost twice that - could that cause problems?

 

I re-ran the install script now, basically I have no error messages except for a bunch of var/lib/samba (sic) : socket ignored

 

When I reboot it now it goes to the android robot screen. Is that supposed to happen? (I removed the sd card)

 

2017-07-19_19-05-31-891.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ycomp said:

I popped the sdcard back in (that has ubuntu w/mate), and it managed to boot up off that. Now I wonder if the script actually worked because lsblk doesn't seem to show any partitions for mmcblk0

 

I have working dtb.img and linux.img at /BOOT

 

What I meant about my question before about the 64GB sdcard was that emmc is 32, ROOTFS partition on the SD card is almost twice that - could that cause problems?

 

I re-ran the install script now, basically I have no error messages except for a bunch of var/lib/samba (sic) : socket ignored

 

When I reboot it now it goes to the android robot screen. Is that supposed to happen? (I removed the sd card)

 

2017-07-19_19-05-31-891.png

 You should change PART_ROOT="/dev/mmcblk0" . These I am not sure but I would try to  replace /dev/boot to /dev/mmcblk0boot0 and /dev/dtb to /dev/mmcblk0boot1. Try to mount them and inspect the content.   Or I am totally wrong, google and try yourself. I feel that it is a bad idea to use the emmc partition. Resale will be easier in a original condition and dual boot android/linux is a bonus. There is no accelerated Linux gpu driver for S912 but android does have.

 

The script copies folder by folder to the emmc, so a  64 GB sdcard is not a problem if the card works fine with ext4. Mine chinese 7 usd class 10 64 GB card does have reading errors and got money back from a ebay shop. I use my Samsung Evo 32GB class 10 card happily with Sunvell T95Z Plus.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

I have a H96 Pro+ and have been trying to boot ubuntu on it using the microsd card method. It failed. All I got was the H96 Pro+ boot screen and then it restarts. I have been trying to follow what pel.hu and balbes150 have been saying. I do not know where I lost them. Is there any chance someone can give me some instructions on how to go about it. Thanks in advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2017 at 2:43 PM, debianxfce said:

There is no gpu accelerated graphics for 912 in Linux drivers. Chromium uses all cpu cores for software rendering and that is why it works. Balbes 4.9 kernel does not have audio so it is unusable. Not worth to use or explain why it does not work. It must  take a long time with 160GB drive when the armbian expands the image at first boot. Many new boxes do have multiboot features, so toothpick is for some older boxes.

 

I got that, that's why I use chromium. But for 4.12 it doesnt load, also the dtb folder has less files than 3.14's. What I'm saying is that in 4.9 and 4.12, it doesnt get past the kernel loading (or what I guess it does, as I see it reading something for a long time, then stops and the screen goes black, I tried a 16GB usb disk and even my laptop's SSD, same result). Also the load times on the HDD is quite fast, the partition expansion takes only some seconds but it loads quite fast, compared to my 30MB/s (claimed) USB disk, I recorded the same boot time on my SSD (I guess usb 2.0 limitation? but it was quicker at loading apps and stuff). Also, how can I know which dtb armbian loaded after booting? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 21/07/2017 at 1:58 AM, midi-sama said:

 

I got that, that's why I use chromium. But for 4.12 it doesnt load, also the dtb folder has less files than 3.14's. What I'm saying is that in 4.9 and 4.12, it doesnt get past the kernel loading (or what I guess it does, as I see it reading something for a long time, then stops and the screen goes black, I tried a 16GB usb disk and even my laptop's SSD, same result). Also the load times on the HDD is quite fast, the partition expansion takes only some seconds but it loads quite fast, compared to my 30MB/s (claimed) USB disk, I recorded the same boot time on my SSD (I guess usb 2.0 limitation? but it was quicker at loading apps and stuff). Also, how can I know which dtb armbian loaded after booting? 

To test the mainline kernel 4.13, you can use my image:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnYBvMQfjM

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, frahmed99 said:

Hi

 

I have a H96 Pro+ and have been trying to boot ubuntu on it using the microsd card method. It failed. All I got was the H96 Pro+ boot screen and then it restarts. I have been trying to follow what pel.hu and balbes150 have been saying. I do not know where I lost them. Is there any chance someone can give me some instructions on how to go about it. Thanks in advance.

You can try my image, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsNzZn-luc0

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, frahmed99 said:

Hi

 

Sorry about the delay. This seemed to work fine. Managed to get the OS to boot and setup users. Now I will have to set up plex, sonarr and others. Will give you feedback hopefully after the weekend.

 

Note that if plex or other software needs gpu accelerated graphics driver, there is no such thing for Linux and S912. Software rendering works with eight cores, like the chromium browser proves when playing youtube videos. Plex and sonarr are not even in Debian repositories so you really are your own.  The factory installed android operating system does have a plex like software. See also plex CPU requirements, S912 might be too weak for streaming to many users.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201774043-What-kind-of-CPU-do-I-need-for-my-Server-

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2017 at 7:28 PM, debianxfce said:

To test the mainline kernel 4.13, you can use my image:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnYBvMQfjM

 

lol, I just wanted to quote what you wrote before linking this video, so I tried making the kernel only, and it didnt work, copying the new dtb from xdarklight (that I used also for kernel building), didnt work. I wonder if there are some links to help me figure how to make images for my board like you did. Meanwhile, I'll be trying your image and give feedback. (FYI: I tried lib from balbes150 and armbian's main repo, the first one gives me errors and gave it up, but i'm still working my way on the second one, although I know it doesnt have any of the boards we are using)

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, midi-sama said:

lol, I just wanted to quote what you wrote before linking this video, so I tried making the kernel only, and it didnt work, copying the new dtb from xdarklight (that I used also for kernel building), didnt work. I wonder if there are some links to help me figure how to make images for my board like you did. Meanwhile, I'll be trying your image and give feedback. (FYI: I tried lib from balbes150 and armbian's main repo, the first one gives me errors and gave it up, but i'm still working my way on the second one, although I know it doesnt have any of the boards we are using)

You need to create whole image when developing a kernel,  because of the separate FAT partition that does not support symbolic linking to your new kernel but when creating an image you can use symbolic linking. How to make an image, use the command

git clone -b some_branch some_armbian_repository

and study the image creation scripts in the lib directory. Armbian installer scripts do have some documentation too, but it is better to learn to edit the scripts for your liking.

After cloning balbes150 git, you can copy my edited lib files over the armbian lib files and create an image:

xfce@carrizo:~/Downloads/arm$ ./compile.sh BOARD=amlogic-s912 PROGRESS_DISPLAY=plain RELEASE=testing PROGRESS_LOG_TO_FILE=yes KERNEL_ONLY=no BUILD_DESKTOP=yes BRANCH=next CLEAN_LEVEL=debs NO_APT_CACHER=yes

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

i've been using a whole day to get Linux working on my H96 Pro+ 3G/16G. It fails with rootfs not found when using USB stick. Currently, i got no SD card reader to test with SD card.

The image i'm using is Unbuntu server 4.13 https://yadi.sk/d/kZHc0uQE34z5jR.

I've been testing different version too, without luck. The DTB that works is meson-gxm-q200.dtb. Any help is highly appreciated!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have 32G version of H96 Pro+? Mine is16G version and looks just a bit different. Did you boot from SDcard or USB to get it working?

 

 

 

On 7/3/2017 at 6:49 PM, gnthibault said:

By default (not copying the dtb file as dtb.img at the root of the BOOT partition) wifi does not work on H96 pro + (apparently fnlink 8223a-sr). Neither does sound, however bluetooth works well.

A weird thing is that cat /proc/cpuinfo allows to see all 8 cores, however gnome-system-monitor for ubuntu mates only shows 2 cores.

 

After multiple edit, nevermind, everything is up and running thanks to the wifi_dummy added to /etc/modules. However I did not checked if both 2.4 and 5GHz channels are working, but I see no reason for this to fail.

 

Thank you balbes150, this is truly awesome

 

20170703_195331.jpg

 

IMAG1393.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, fossxplorer said:

Hi,

i've been using a whole day to get Linux working on my H96 Pro+ 3G/16G. It fails with rootfs not found when using USB stick. Currently, i got no SD card reader to test with SD card.

The image i'm using is Unbuntu server 4.13 https://yadi.sk/d/kZHc0uQE34z5jR.

I've been testing different version too, without luck. The DTB that works is meson-gxm-q200.dtb. Any help is highly appreciated!

The dtb file must match with kernel you are using.  Use a high quality and fast usb memory or a class 10 microsd card.  Try with with different images and kernel 3.14 images. I have made Debian testing Xfce images for the armbian 3.14 kernel and for the 4.13 mainline kernel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnYBvMQfjM

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

2 2