debian or ubuntu

tbsky

Hi:

I am using debian jessie on orange pi H3 boards and I am very satisfied with it. but I need to upgrade now since jessie is out of support. i want to upgrade to debian buster since my pi is using as a server without any display attached. but I wonder maybe there is something good I missed from ubuntu: like 10 years LTS support? or perhaps most developers are using ubuntu so it is more mature?

just need some advice. thanks a lot!

This decision is like a lot in life: It depends.

tl;dr: Go for Debian IMHO

When you take a look at Ubuntu then the first thing of course you see is "great, five years of support". But what you do not see because it is not so obviousis, that this covers a fraction of all available packages only. Many packages come from universe and multiverse repositories which are community maintained. So if the maintainer of package xy is not in the mood to fix maybe a security issue then Ubuntu themselves will not care about.

Last but not least should be considered that Ubuntu basically is a fork from Debian's unstable branch, put some fancy stuff on it and call it stable.

With Debian ALL packages are maintained by the security team. Debian does not have a fixed release cycle so developers do not have the same pressure to fix stuff before day X. It's done when it's done.

With the extended support calculated in Jessie came with five years support as well.

In terms of hardware support when using Armbian there is virtually no difference between Debian and Ubuntu because both flavors sharing the very same kernel package.

2 hours ago, tbsky said:

missed from ubuntu: like 10 years LTS support

In short: Ubuntu is a commercial distribution where BS is always in the package ;)

Kernel - the most expensive part of the (Linux) distribution and the reason you can use your board, Linux, is maintained by Armbian. You are using Armbian Linux with Debian (or Ubuntu if you prefer) package base. It could be Arch, Fedora or whatever ... but most authors Debian is closer.