Orange Pi Zero Plus 2: wpa_supplicant woes

Anna Vahtera

Armbianmonitor:

I'm trying to set up an OPi Zero Plus 2 with Armbian Buster. As the board has no soldered USB connectors and mine is still in the mail, I was forced to do all this via the serial console via the three pins on the board. (So no nano or nmtui or anything that has an interface.)

I run into a problem where a) I couldn't join my WiFi network and b) NetworkManager refused to believe I don't want to use IPv6. So I had to disable NetworkManager and go the wpa_supplicant route.

So now I'm in the position that I got everything to work BUT I have to *manually* enable wpa_supplicant and then issue ifdown and ifup - all via the serial console - at every boot before it works.

Basically I have to do this at *every* boot:

> login as user
# sudo su
# wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
# ifdown wlan0
# ifup wlan0

After that I have a working IPv4 address and everything works, I can use ssh to connect to the OPi and it connects to the internet like it should (can 'apt update' etc.)

The thing is, I REALLY don't want to keep it connected to another computer 24/7 and issue those commands every time it reboots. 

systemctl: https://pastebin.com/y8tk0DaN

At this point, what should've been a 5min job (install armbian on the eMMC on the board) have turned into a 4h+ series of problems after problems after problems. I have followed some eight tutorials and advice that I've found on the subject and NONE of them have worked fully. Some at all. 

If I had the USB port, I'd most probably just re-flash the SD and start over and keep network manager and deal with whatever that comes with (I don't like NM, it gets in the way FAR too often if you want to manually do something), but I don't and it's impossible to use nmtui via the serial console.

And it more or less works right now, only it doesn't start fine at reboot. There must be some easy way to get this to work from this point onward, right?

ps. I can't paste armbianmonitor -U anywhere as it exceeds all limits on every paste site I have tried.

EDIT: Managed to get armbianmonitor -u working, my bad for forgetting to "sudo" it. sorry.

Edited by Anna Vahtera
Added link to armbianmonitor output

ps. I can't paste armbianmonitor -U anywhere as it exceeds all limits on every paste site I have tried.

No idea what armbianmonitor -U does but -u gives you a nice link that can be shared.

17 minutes ago, Werner said:

No idea what armbianmonitor -U does but -u gives you a nice link that can be shared.

armbianmonitor - u says this:

Network/firewall problem detected. Not able to upload debug info.
Please fix this or use "-U" instead and upload whole output manually

this is why I used "-U"

EDIT: nvm, got armbianmonitor -u to work. My bad.

I have OPi Zero Plus 2 H3 and H5 devices in the test rig (3,4)

https://dl.armbian.com/_test-reports/2020-05-19_20.25.35.html

and so far they never failed to connect to the wireless network without any changes to the network stack. Network manager, WPA2 network, ... 

55 minutes ago, Anna Vahtera said:

The thing is, I REALLY don't want to keep it connected to another computer 24/7 and issue those commands every time it reboots. 

From Armbian point of view, there is nothing wrong but I can understand your frustration.

Check your router and always go the way we recommend. Not every how-to from the internet will always work ...

22 minutes ago, Igor said:

I have OPi Zero Plus 2 H3 and H5 devices in the test rig (3,4)

https://dl.armbian.com/_test-reports/2020-05-19_20.25.35.html

and so far they never failed to connect to the wireless network without any changes to the network stack. Network manager, WPA2 network, ... 

From Armbian point of view, there is nothing wrong but I can understand your frustration.

Check your router and always go the way we recommend. Not every how-to from the internet will always work ...

so.. how do you input your SSID and passphrase if you don't have to modify anything?

And what do you mean by router? What has THAT got to do with ANYTHING in this? 

9 minutes ago, Anna Vahtera said:

how do you input your SSID and passphrase if you don't have to modify anything?

I login via mUSB or serial console and connect via Network manager. 
https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-connect-to-wireless
When board reboots it reconnects to my wireless network automatically.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

I login via mUSB or serial console and connect via Network manager. 
https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-connect-to-wireless
When board reboots it reconnects to my wireless network automatically.

How are you able to use Network Manager via serial console? Mine just outputs garbled junk when trying to view anything that has an interface. And how would you use arrow keys or any other special keys via serial console for that matter? 

48 minutes ago, Anna Vahtera said:

How are you able to use Network Manager via serial console? Mine just outputs garbled junk when trying to view anything that has an interface.

Menu handling works just fine in (properly configured - usually by default) serial console. Sort that problem first. 

But also you can connect to wifi with one line. Mind checking network manager manual.

On 5/20/2020 at 12:16 PM, Anna Vahtera said:

How are you able to use Network Manager via serial console? Mine just outputs garbled junk when trying to view anything that has an interface. And how would you use arrow keys or any other special keys via serial console for that matter? 

Check your terminal settings - 115200-8-N-1 usually works, and you might need to disable flow control.