ZFS "just works" now on Armbian (2 step instructions if you are thick like me)!

2 2

EDIT: Solution in next post (this started as a question; yeah maybe I should have split it, but whatever).

Apologies if this is dumb question.  I finally got my hands on some appropriate (64-bit) hardware, and ready to install software now.

I have read so many threads (in Kobol Club and elsewhere), Issues (at GitHub as well as Atlassian) and I think this is solved by now (on Armbian) but cannot confirm?

Official install instructions (on OpenZFS website) don't really seem applicable to Armbian (kernel headers will be different, etc.).

I guess what I am asking is, do I just do something like the following:

$ sudo apt install zfs-dkms zfsutils-linux

And it should "just work"?  Or is there more to it than that?

Looks like I should make sure backports are set up beforehand, as ZFS version is significantly newer there (2.0.3 vs 0.7.12).

Target device is ROCKPro64, on latest Armbian 21.02.3 Buster Current, which is kernel 5.10.21.

Edited by TRS-80
add note at top to save people time

Donate and support the project!

• TRS-80 changed the title to ZFS "just works" now on Armbian (2 step instructions if you are thick like me)!
15 hours ago, TRS-80 said:

I have read so many threads (in Kobol Club and elsewhere), Issues (at GitHub as well as Atlassian) and I think this is solved by now (on Armbian) but cannot confirm?

Issues are (were) with upstream Debian and Ubuntu, while now they obviously fixed ... ZFS on Armbian and kernel 5.10. works OOB since January. On Debian backport repo you now have slightly more recent ZFS version which could be good, could also be bad :) 

16 hours ago, Igor said:

slightly more recent ZFS version which could be good, could also be bad :)

I get the sense I will be much better off with the newer version (in the case of ZFS).  However, as I am now become a "ZFS system administrator" I have gone back to more actively monitoring their mailing list.