Board Bring Up Station P2 rk3568, M2 rk3566

balbes150

4 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Additional settings are needed to get a working image.

In the near future I plan to add CSC settings for quartz64.

Perfect ! I'll wait. Thanks

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

The current version of Firefly multi-boot (which is installed in SPI) uses an outdated startup scheme that cannot work with new versions of Armbian. I am communicating with the Firefly developers to fix this issue.

Thank you. How do I boot Armbian from SD card without multi boot?

25 минут назад, tenox2 сказал:

How do I boot Armbian from SD card without multi boot?

You need to remove the multi-boot from SPI (return the use of u-boot from eMMC) and install the update for u-boot in eMMC (according to the instructions that are on the Armbian image download page).

20 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

You need to remove the multi-boot from SPI (return the use of u-boot from eMMC) and install the update for u-boot in eMMC (according to the instructions that are on the Armbian image download page).

Understand but without multi-boot the machine will always load Stationpc-OS from eMMC. Can't boot Armbian from SD to even install the u-boot update. The machine always just boots to Station OS.

I have erased Station OS from eMMC and removed multi-boot.

Right now I can boot the "new" armbian (kernel 5.x) from SD card. It will not boot 4.x at all, including the one with /vendor folder to update uboot. So I have booted 5.x from SD, mounted the older 4.x image with /vendor folder and ran `p2-station-update-uboot`. Installed armbian to emmc via `nand-sata-insatll`.

After power off/on:

U-Boot SPL board init
U-Boot SPL 2017.09-armbian (Sep 19 2021 - 21:20:22)
unknown raw ID phN
unrecognized JEDEC id bytes: 00, 00, 00
Trying to boot from MMC2
MMC error: The cmd index is 1, ret is -110
Card did not respond to voltage select!
mmc_init: -95, time 9
spl: mmc init failed with error: -95
Trying to boot from MMC1
## Verified-boot: 0
## Checking atf-1 0x00040000 ... sha256(5938a9cdfc...) + OK
## Checking uboot 0x00a00000 ... sha256 Bad hash: 4649d697ab55dddedb4d4a2ef080dfd8eceb70dcdb0da31f4ca951732e55e3d8
 error!
Bad hash value for 'hash' hash node in 'uboot' image node
Trying fit image at 0x5000 sector
Not fit magic
SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###
# Reset the board to bootrom #

UPDATE:
I think there is some issue with the nand-sata-install script from Armbian 5.x. When I format using ext4 and I try to mount or e2fsck /dev/mmcblk1p1

root@station-p2:~# e2fsck /dev/mmcblk1p1
e2fsck 1.46.5 (30-Dec-2021)
Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8).
Clear<y>?

If I choose btrfs instead of ext4 the script creates two partitions, I'm able to boot kernel from eMMC! However it dies after this:

[    5.181075] mmcblk1: mmc1:0001 Y2P032 29.1 GiB
[    5.194255]  mmcblk1: p1 p2
[    5.196575] mmcblk1boot0: mmc1:0001 Y2P032 4.00 MiB
[    5.200741] mmcblk1boot1: mmc1:0001 Y2P032 4.00 MiB
[    5.207358] mmcblk1rpmb: mmc1:0001 Y2P032 16.0 MiB, chardev (237:0)
[    5.667554] BTRFS: device fsid 291ef1d2-93a5-4f17-8565-19d20bbaa6e9 devid 1 transid 14 /dev/mmcblk1p2 scanned by btrfs (244)
[    5.777238] BTRFS info (device mmcblk1p2): flagging fs with big metadata feature
[    5.778377] BTRFS error (device mmcblk1p2): unrecognized mount option 'data=writeback'
[    5.779706] BTRFS error (device mmcblk1p2): open_ctree failed

Maybe my hardware has an issue?!

53 минуты назад, tenox2 сказал:
U-Boot SPL 2017.09-armbian (Sep 19 2021 - 21:20:22)

If you have erased the eMMC, you do not need to run the u-boot update.

Judging by the log, you installed a very old version of Armbian, where did you get it from?

37 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

If you have erased the eMMC, you do not need to run the u-boot update.

Judging by the log, you installed a very old version of Armbian, where did you get it from?

from the armbian website

Armbian 22.02 Jammy
Kernel 5.16.y, Size: 366Mb, Updated: Feb 27, 2022

when it boots from SD card it says this:

Armbian 22.02.1 Jammy ttyS2

station-p2 login:

Welcome to Armbian 22.02.1 Jammy with bleeding edge Linux 5.16.11-media

6 hours ago, balbes150 said:
On 3/8/2022 at 12:39 PM, x893 said:

X88 Pro 20

This hardware is not supported and will not work.

Hi, i decompile rk-kernel.dtb (from firmware image for Android 11) and it looks as other rk3566 dts.

May be this file can help to port armbian to X88Pro 20 ?
P.S. Also other images (uboot, boot, recovery, super) available.

20 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Try installing in eMMC using these images. Please note that you should not do any manual operations with eMMC, use only the regular installation procedure from armbian-config (choose the ext4 file system).

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/WLXChayq0xf91A

These are for M2 not P2. But I tried this: https://users.armbian.com/balbes150/rk3568/

Works fine! It does install to eMMC no problem!! :) Thank so much!

Just FYI went back and tried Bullseye and Jammy from Armbian website again and they create a corrupted ext4 on eMMC.

e2fsck 1.46.2 (28-Feb-2021)
Clear<y>? cancelled!
e2fsck: The journal superblock is corrupt while checking journal for /dev/mmcblk1p1
e2fsck: Cannot proceed with file system check

2 часа назад, tenox2 сказал:

These are for M2 not P2.

for P2

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/neKXsYolKXgLzg

2 часа назад, tenox2 сказал:

Just FYI went back and tried Bullseye and Jammy from Armbian website again and they create a corrupted ext4 on eMMC.

Can you show the contents of nand-sata-install from these images ? I have a suspicion that there is incorrect information for creating partitions.

Try replacing nand-sata-install with the version from the working image.

13 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Can you show the contents of nand-sata-install from these images ? I have a suspicion that there is incorrect information for creating partitions.

Try replacing nand-sata-install with the version from the working image.

Yup...

root@station-p2:/usr/sbin# diff /mnt1/usr/sbin/nand-sata-install /usr/sbin/nand-sata-install
33c33,40
< FIRSTSECTOR=32768
---
> case ${LINUXFAMILY} in
>     rk3328|rk3399|rk35xx|rockchip64|rockpis|station|media)
>         FIRSTSECTOR=32768
>         ;;
>     *)
>         FIRSTSECTOR=8192
>         ;;
> esac

(/ is website version /mnt1 is trunk)

When used the script from trunk on website image everything worked correctly.

5 часов назад, tenox2 сказал:

When used the script from trunk on website image everything worked correctly.

Did I understand correctly that when using a script with a fixed parameter FIRSTSECTOR=32768, the installation in eMMC works correctly (the system works normally from eMMC) ?

19 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Did I understand correctly that when using a script with a fixed parameter FIRSTSECTOR=32768, the installation in eMMC works correctly (the system works normally from eMMC) ?

Vanilla Armbian Bullseye Edge from the website, FIRSTSECTOR=8192:

Clear<y>? cancelled!

Replaced FIRSTSECTOR=8192 with 32768:

/dev/mmcblk1p1: clean, 45607/1888656 files, 533295/7553024 blocks

Unrelated question.

How do you "officially" boot to Armbian on Stationpc P2? Even with SD card inserted the system always boots to StationOS.

I installed Armbian by enabling multi boot, booting to older Armbian, writing the vendor update then removing multiboot. Is this the official way?

22 минуты назад, Werner сказал:

My guess is he was asking for Armbian image without TV but not sure.

ArmbianTV=Armbian(oficial)+additional improvements, specifically for these models

(i.e., in fact, it is a slightly improved or newer version than the official image) :)

24 минуты назад, tenox2 сказал:

You gave me this link to download latest armbian but it only has altlinux and armbiantv

I have already answered above what is the difference. If you only need the official version, you only need to use the official download page.

24 минуты назад, tenox2 сказал:

How do you "officially" boot to Armbian on Stationpc P2? Even with SD card inserted the system always boots to StationOS.

Have you carefully studied the information on the official download page ? There is an order of steps that need to be done once with the official firmware version of StationsOS (update u-boot as the device leaves the factory) to run Armbian. At the moment, the standard StationOS firmware cannot work with the latest versions of Armbian with support for installation in eMMC. If you have already changed something in the standard firmware (the contents of the u-boot in eMMC or in SPI), there is no guarantee that everything will start and work correctly.

7 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Have you carefully studied the information on the official download page ? There is an order of steps that need to be done once with the official firmware version of StationsOS (update u-boot as the device leaves the factory) to run Armbian. At the moment, the standard StationOS firmware cannot work with the latest versions of Armbian with support for installation in eMMC. If you have already changed something in the standard firmware (the contents of the u-boot in eMMC or in SPI), there is no guarantee that everything will start and work correctly.

Yes very carefully.

1. Download a special version of the image from the link.
2. Unpack, write to the SD card.
3. Start the system, perform the initial configuration (answer the questions).
4. to start the update procedure, run the command

The problem is that #3 doesn't work unless you turn on multi-boot. Then after #4 you need to disable multi-boot for normal Armbian to work.

13 часов назад, tenox2 сказал:

The problem is that #3 doesn't work unless you turn on multi-boot.

The described steps are intended for the device, as it leaves the factory, multi-boot is not activated in the factory firmware, you activated it yourself. You have already changed the state of your device (activating multi-boot changes the contents of eMMC and SPI, and changes the entire logic of starting systems from external media, not allowing you to start systems with a new format). In fact, the primary "activation\inclusion of multi-boot" is the transfer of the "old" (which does not know how to launch new systems from external media) version of u-boot to SPI. Until multiloading is fixed to work with new launch formats, multiloading needs to be disabled. I have already written to the Firefly developers what needs to be fixed in the multiload so that it works with all systems (with new and old formats). The correction is simple (just a few lines), but so far there is no answer from them.

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

The described steps are intended for the device, as it leaves the factory, multi-boot is not activated in the factory firmware, you activated it yourself. You have already changed the state of your device (activating multi-boot changes the contents of eMMC and SPI, and changes the entire logic of starting systems from external media, not allowing you to start systems with a new format). In fact, the primary "activation\inclusion of multi-boot" is the transfer of the "old" (which does not know how to launch new systems from external media) version of u-boot to SPI. Until multiloading is fixed to work with new launch formats, multiloading needs to be disabled. I have already written to the Firefly developers what needs to be fixed in the multiload so that it works with all systems (with new and old formats). The correction is simple (just a few lines), but so far there is no answer from them.

Thank you for your answer. However I have got a second P2, brand new factory unopened. I have written uboot updater "special version" of armbian to SD card. It doesn't boot. It just keeps booting to StationOS every time.

My question still remains, what is the "official" way of booting armbian on a vanilla factory new device

3. Start the system, perform the initial configuration (answer the questions).

this simply doesn't work without activating multiboot.

1 час назад, tenox2 сказал:

UBOOT UPDATE, Armbian 21.11.0 trunk, hirsute legacy 4.19.193 image.

Show the UART log when launching the latest version of Armbian  kernel 5.x immediately.

Starting kernel ...

[ 0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000000000 [0x412fd050]

[ 0.000000] Linux version 5.16.8-media (root@station-p1) (aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc (Ubuntu 10.3.0-1ubuntu1) 10.3.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.36.1) #trunk SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 10 07:03:57 UTC 2022

[ 0.000000] Machine model: Firefly rk3568-roc-pc

I see the normal launch of new versions of Armbian without the need to update something in u-boot. I.e., in the latest firmware, u-boot has already been updated and can immediately launch new versions of Armbian. :)

So for Firefly Station P2 I see there are two versions of StationOS firmware. The old version, which requires an additional u-boot update procedure, and the new version, for which nothing needs to be updated and Armbian can be launched immediately from the SD card without additional steps. If someone can confirm this information (about the ability to immediately launch Armbian on the latest releases of StationOS), I will make adjustments to the information on the download page.

This is not 100% correct. You still don't get my point:

When StationOS is on eMMC, SD card WILL NOT BOOT without Multi Boot enabled.

Inserting Armbian SD card on vanilla factory brand new P2 with StationOS will do nothing. Won't boot.

For the second (5.x boot) I had to enable multi boot, erase eMMC, erase multi boot and then it will boot from SD card.