Armbian + EFI\grub + NVMe

balbes150

5 hours ago, lurk101 said:

Hard to say, I've had so many different configurations on this board in the last 6 weeks. Here's how I did it last time.

- The 1st time I started with an unformatted nvme SSD. Then using https://github.com/armbian/build/releases/download/23.02.0-trunk.0186/Armbian_23.02.0-trunk.0186_Rock-5b_jammy_legacy_5.10.110_minimal.img.xz burnt to SD.

- Booted the SD then used arbian-install and selected the 3rd option (i think) to flash the boot loader to SPI flash. It's a slow operation, be patient.

- Then selected option 1, install to mmc, nvme, or something like that.

- Power cycle after removing the SD card.

The downside of this configuration is that you can no longer boot from SD, as pointed out previously. This leads to problem with consecutive installs. To workaround the problem I zero out the 1st few blocks of the nvme before shutting down prior to the install.

That said, for the time being I've given up on Armbian for the rock-5b and have reverted to to Radxa's Ubuntu server image. I run exclusively headless, except for installs, and that configuration best meets my needs. I've alsways had a trouble free experience with Armbian running on all my previous Rockchip based SBCs so this is a 1st!

I was able to boot and run armbian-config only with the lastest Official Armbian Image.

The Power Supply, the NVMe and the microSD card I used did not cause ANY issue...

I was not able to install and boot armbian to NVMe with that image, I would be so glad if someone could provide me better information of the procedure to make that installation to install Armbian and boot it directly from NVMe.

If I get more information I will keep you up to date 😊

Search Before Posting!

15 часов назад, lurk101 сказал:

Ok,  you have no clue why your image won't boot from SD, so you blame the supply.

I explained to you what the problem is and I absolutely don't care what you will use.

I explained to you what the problem is and I absolutely don't care what you will use.

Pretend I'm a moron and try again. The question I asked was: With the NVME SSD disconnected, why does my Rock 5b boot a Radxa or standard Armbian image from SD, but fails to boot your image. You responded with: The PD power system is 'crap'. As I understand the problem, most PD power supplies will time out before the power negotiation software which resides in the kernel gets to run. The PD supply I'm using has never had that problem.  I find it hard to believe that your uboot version is so much slower that it causes this timeout on my PD supply.

I don't care either what runs on the box, but I do care that the boot device ordering is wrong on all of the bootloaders I've tried so far. Your bootloader would have fixed that.

Edited by lurk101

56 minutes ago, lurk101 said:

You responded with [...]

I think you should read his reply(ies) again (and some others in this thread), perhaps more carefully this time, as I came away with a different interpretation.

16 часов назад, lurk101 сказал:

Pretend I'm a moron and try again. The question I asked was: With the NVME SSD disconnected, why does my Rock 5b boot a Radxa or standard Armbian image from SD, but fails to boot your image. You responded with: The PD power system is 'crap'. As I understand the problem, most PD power supplies will time out before the power negotiation software which resides in the kernel gets to run. The PD supply I'm using has never had that problem.  I find it hard to believe that your uboot version is so much slower that it causes this timeout on my PD supply.

OK. I'll repeat it again with details. Armbian and Radxa images use essentially the same u-boot (in any case, this was the case at the time when I analyzed them). They are assembled from the same sources, so their behavior is the same. My u-boot is significantly different, it is a different source code and configuration, in which errors have been fixed and the configuration has been changed (UART is enabled, the startup order has been fixed, support for PD has been removed, etc.). Therefore, when using a power supply with PD, my version will not work. By the way, I recommend thinking about why radxa disabled the UART console in its u-boot. For the correct launch of my u-boot, you also need to completely erase the SPI, so that its "pieces" do not interfere with the correct launch of the new u-boot from the SD card. For reference, the primary loader (the first stage) is always launched in the strict order of SPI-eMMC-SD polling.

Thanks, the critical part I'd missed is 'support for PD has been removed'. Not sure where I got the misinformation, but I thought PD negotiation was done early in the kernel, not the bootloader. Things make a lot more sense now.

13 часов назад, blondu сказал:

Is it possible to install gnome with wailand on Armbian version 23.02.0-trunk_Rock-5b jammy legacy 5.10.110?

In the coming days I plan to upload  version with Gnome3