WIP current issues

wizetek

My experience so far:

1. Booting up (Jammy/Bullseye) from SD, HDMI out to 1440p display cuts off text at the bottom. It affects installation and later use. I need to press ENTER several times to all questions until text moves up in the buffer and becomes visible, and then blindly type the answer to proceed to the next step, then several ENTERs to scroll again, and so on.

Looking at fbset and stty output:

me@opi:~$ fbset -i

mode "2560x1440"
    geometry 2560 1440 2560 1440 32
    timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    accel true
    rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
endmode

Frame buffer device information:
    Name        : rockchipdrmfb
    Address     : 0
    Size        : 14745600
    Type        : PACKED PIXELS
    Visual      : TRUECOLOR
    XPanStep    : 1
    YPanStep    : 1
    YWrapStep   : 0
    LineLength  : 10240
    Accelerator : No

me@opi:~$ stty size
28 100

After installation, I can set proper console columns and rows corresponding to the font size:

me@opi:~$ stty rows 67 cols 240

And to make it persist on boot:

/etc/default/console-setup

SCREEN_HEIGHT="67"
SCREEN_WIDTH="240"

2. X server resolution only goes up to 1920x1080 on the same 2560x1440 display.

3. After switching monitor inputs and going back to OPi5, X server resets the resolution from 1920x1080 to 720x576.

4. In 1920x1080 everything looks abnormally scaled and huge. Decreasing DPI below the "default" 96 in Xfce helps a little but it still doesn't look right.

5. Finally, there are file conflicts among packages: firmware-misc-nonfree vs armbian-firmware and armbian-firmware-full. This was reported back in 2019 but not addressed.

https://github.com/armbian/build/issues/1359

@wizetek > 4. In 1920x1080 everything looks abnormally scaled and huge. Decreasing DPI below the "default" 96 in Xfce helps a little but it still doesn't look right.

In appearance setting, default window scaling is 2, change to 1 can get normal look. Not sure why it is 2 by default.

@Efe ÇetinI fixed the problem in the same way url and contacted OrangePi officials, who tested that the 8K monitor also worked, and I tested myself that the 1440x900 resolution and 2880x864 resolution monitors worked fine.
Hopefully this will provide you with some test data to help you resolve these issues.

Link: Fix dclk parent clock for hdmi vop0https://github.com/WillzenZou/armbian_fork_build/commit/a58816d68ca73db36c9ca8ffc2444c872a1dd295

Edited by Willzen

I still found that cursor disappears occasionally, enabling 3d or not, mostly when coming back after long idle. I am using 23.02.0-trunk.0152.

I suspect that it is related to enabling HW cursor in this patch https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/rockchip-rk3588-legacy/2009-OrangePi5-HDMI-Improvements.patch, that is, HW cursor might have issue.

--- a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3588s-orangepi.dtsi

+++ b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3588s-orangepi.dtsi

@@ -578,19 +578,29 @@ &vepu {

&vp0 {

rockchip,plane-mask = <(1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER0 | 1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART0)>;

rockchip,primary-plane = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART0>;

+ cursor-win-id = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER0>;

};

&vp1 {

rockchip,plane-mask = <(1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER1 | 1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART1)>;

rockchip,primary-plane = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART1>;

+ cursor-win-id = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER1>;

};

&vp2 {

rockchip,plane-mask = <(1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER2 | 1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART2)>;

rockchip,primary-plane = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART2>;

+ cursor-win-id = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER2>;

};

&vp3 {

rockchip,plane-mask = <(1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER3 | 1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART3)>;

rockchip,primary-plane = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART3>;

+ cursor-win-id = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER3>;

+};

I am trying to revert this change but not family with armbian building. Where can I pull a kernel tree to apply patches and build a dtb?

I am familiar with kernel but am wondering if there is a more convenient way for armbian.

Hi,

Is display port alt mode suposed to work at the moment or is it still WIP?

I am trying to use OPI5 with a Samsung G9 which has a 5120x1440p resolution using a usb-c to displayport, but i am unable to have a display out. Is this supposed to work, or is it still not implemented?

Thank you for all your hard work @Efe Çetin

@Efe Çetin just tried my new build with the 2006-OrangePi5-dubious-cdn-dp-core-stuff-extracted-from-X.patch and the results are the same as trunk 0154 and 0158. No luck... The monitor turns on for brief moments without any output and after, maybe 30 seconds, turns off again. Any other sugestions?

Once again, thank you for your hard work.

@Efe ÇetinI am using xorg, mostly with KDE, sometimes xfce.

Cursor disappear issue is not always reproduced, but more likely after idle for some time, monitor was turned off, when it was turned on by key stroke or mouse movement, cursor no longer appeared, starting from lock screen. I can see cursor is still there as when it moved to max/min button of a window, the button was highlighted so it is just a display issue. Thanks!

I have a similar cursor disappearance problem (the mouse still works, I just can't see the cursor icon). This is reproducible by turning the HDMI display off and on again. I also have other severe issues related to power saving, involving a total freeze, but I'm not yet clear as to how to categorize, or how to reproduce this issue. 

My build image: Armbian_23.02.0-trunk.0167_Orangepi5_jammy_legacy_5.10.110_xfce_desktop.img.xz

I also, successfully, modified this build to boot off nvme (following the post of Marco Schirrmeister Jan 5) and enabled Ubunutu Gnome/Wayland desktop, gpu acceleration (following the post of Royk Jan 5). Both posts in the "Orange Pi 5 Support" thread.

I also had a problem with my Bluetooth USB adapter, used for headphones, it worked at first but after a few hours (days?), it stopped working. It was fixed by following the instructions of: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1339825/ubuntu-21-04-bluetooth-5-0-dongle-does-not-work-and-says-theres-no-firmware

Note: for the Bluetooth dongle fix, I needed to create symlinks:  rtl8761bu_fw.bin -> rtl8761b_fw.bin and rtl8761bu_config.bin -> rtl8761b_config.bin , following the StackExchange comment about renaming for Armbian. I also need to reboot before it worked.

Tested Armbian_23.02.0-trunk.0179_Orangepi5_jammy_legacy_5.10.110_xfce_desktop.img

(+)

Console rows/columns calculation on 1440p display is confirmed fixed.

X server resolution is now capable of going to native 2560x1440 - fixed.

(-)

Xfce: Appearance > Settings > Window Scaling defaults to 2x making everything look huge.

Mouse cursor disappears intermittently while mouse continues to function.

The disappearing mouse cursor problem seems to be triggered after idle time, or after screensaver/DPMS has kicked in, or after monitor input source switch.

Looks like this X config may work around it until a better solution is provided:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-swcursor.conf

Section "Device"
   Identifier "GPU"
   #Driver     "modesetting"
   #Driver     "rockchip"
   Option     "SWCursor" "True"
EndSection

I tested with the Driver portion commented out but it may be necessary to specify one.